Shared bathroom (new listing requirement??)

Lisa367
Level 10
Catania, Italy

Shared bathroom (new listing requirement??)

I just upgraded my listing and there's now a drop down that requires you to select either "private bathroom" or "shared bathroom".  Even though my husband and I are the only ones in the house, the bathroom now says  "shared", very prominately, on the listing.  People are going to think that we're a hostel!  This needs to be removed ASAP!  The words "Shared bathroom" would scare anyone.  All I think is 20 people fighting for the bathroom at once.  AIRBNB, change it back to just: Bathroom: 1

22 Replies 22
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Private bathroom is very accurate- guests have sole use of it. Shared means other people use the bathroom- which you indicate is true. Perhaps make clear in your description that it's only ever you and your husband in the house.

We have.  However, when you see the word "shared" you don't think you're sharing with one or two people, you think you're sharing in a hostel-type situation.  If I saw the word "shared", I'd run.  I'd definitely think I'm sharing one bathroom with several rooms.  If I saw "shared" I wouldn't even read the listing where it says that it's shared with just me and my husband.  In addition, they haven't required other hosts to update this, so we're currently the only host in the city with a bathroom that says "shared".  This just seems odd and worrisome.

Maybe it is a cultural difference, but in the US shared means anything that isn't private. If they will have someone else using the bathroom, regardless of who it is, it is not private so it is shared. 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Lisa367

Shared is shared, even if I only have to share it with my host(s). I hate sharing - means I have to adapt and can't take  forever pampering myself 😉

Just make sure your listing description describes the sharing situation accurately and that they will be the only guests.

Too many descriptions are often not clear about other rooms rented and the real bathroom situation.

I have the same problem. I rented the entire room. The bathrooms are only used by the guests. It shows as shared in my webpage and I could not edit it under - Basic - Edit My Listing. Would someone please advise how to change the status of Shared into private or nothing attached? It is annoying.

Thanks,

Jennifer

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Jennifer333 Under Basics > Bathroom.

If the app doesn't let you change it, do it on a computer.

@Andrea9the computer doesn't let you change it either.  I even called Airbnb and the rep wasn't able to change it.   It shouldn't be a requirement that sits right at the top of the page.  "Shared" is a scary word.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Lisa367 strange.....

When I go to my listing basics (rooms, beds, etc.) there's a drop-down menu choice for shared or private (guest) bathroom.

On the listing it only shows as 'shared' (or in my case 'private bathroom' in the segment 'The Space'. Which is what I would expect to want to know as a guest.  You may not like the word 'Shared' as in regards to your bathroom, but you'll have to face it that what you offer is NOT a 'Private guest bathroom'.

It's easy - will the guest be the only living organism sitting on the toilet or using the sink or tub/shower?

yes > private

no > shared 

You would be misrepresenting your situation to guests if you marked the bathroom you and your partner are also using as 'private'.

Do know that if you marked your bathroom as 'private', and your guest arrived, realized that they were not the only ones who used it and left requesting refund, then Airbnb would agree with the guest because you had misrepresented the situation.

@Andrea9I have no intentions of ever misrespresenting.  I think you just didn't understand.  I don't want the word SHARED at the top of the listing.  I want the guests to look at the listing and like it before they see that the bathroom is shared because the word "SHARED" is a bit scary.  I don't want them to see that at the top.  I'd rather there be an added section called "bathroom" with the room details where I can explain the situation and that it's only shared with me and my husband.  To me, as a guest, if I saw the word "SHARED" i would think it was shared by 20 people - in a hostel situation.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Jennifer333 as @Lisa367 just replied, apparently even the Airbnb rep couldn't change it. 

Many of the helpdesk pple are so new that they often aren't familiar with the settings and don't give entirely 100% correct answers.

In my experience it was an IB annullment that the first rep didn' put into effect properly.

So, what I'm saying is calling Airbnb, and if necessary even again to get another rep would be the way to go.

If that doesn't help a stringent message on their Facebook page (or Twitter) apparently gets more experienced employees to answer.

Please post your experience here if you manage to get it solved! That helps me get a better idea and be better able to help in case more hosts cry out for help on the forum. Thanks!

Of course you should write 'shared bathroom' because it actually is shared. 

Dont think to much of airbnb users as 'retards'. When its obvious that its an appartment or a house they will see for sure its not a hostel. Some people will not book because they have to share the bathroom ( even tough it will only be shared with you).  But you should always provide honest info. 

Regards, 

Ellen

Louise47
Level 10
Maroochydore, Australia

You bathroom is shared so really your listing is the way it should be.  If i was a guest and the listing said private I would think that I'll be the only person using the bath.  If I was then faced with other people in the bathroom then I would cancel my booking.  Private bathroom is a bathroom that has only my stuff in. Do you put out a cake of soap for everyone as I would not want to be sharing with someone else. Do they have to store all there stuff in their bedroom such as shampoo, conditioner, soap, washers, towels, if so then they are sharing the bathroom with you.  If you lie about this then what else is in your listing that you have fudge just abit.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lisa367....I don't quite know what you are expecting us to say Lisa.....do you want us to say that black is white! You are an experienced host with 64 reviews behind you and Superhost status so, you surely understand precisely the difference between a private bathroom and a shared bathroom. Where do you draw the line between shared and private? To say that you and your husband use the same bathroom absolutely indicates that it is a shared space....or do you simply open the door and look in there, give it a clean and attend to your personal habits somewhere else in the apartment!

I am sorry Lisa but we can't validate your wishes simply to make your listing look better! The only way you can do that is, put in another bathroom that would be exclusively for the use of the guest staying at the time.....then you could advertise it as a 'private bathroom'

My ABB listed cottage is a self contained structure which is entirely separate from the main residence with it's own bathroom and laundry and separated by garden. But, in order to gain local council approval to host I must list it as a 'private room' because this area is clasified as R1 residential...meaning one residence per allotment. This serverely limits my search appeal because most guests want a self contained facility but Lisa, I have to do it, and list as a private room. I don't want to but...that's the rules! And your situation is no different, you have a shared bathroom and that is the way you must list it!

Cheers.....Rob 

@Robin4Wow, first of all what a nasty comment you posted.  And second, you clearly didn't understand what I was saying.  Of course the bathroom is shared, and I'm fine with the listing saying it is, just not so direct at the top of the listing.  I would prefer people see the listing itself and get to know the apartment a bit before seeing that the bathroom is shared because after looking at the photos and the reviews, they might not care.  But the fact that it says "SHARED" so clear right there is a turn off.  Of course I'm not going to list a bathroom as private if it's shared with me and my husband.  In addition, it's frustrating that this is a requirement but only if you've updated your listing.  Therefore, we are the only listing in the area with a bathroom that says "shared".  And thank you for the advice on putting in an extra bathroom.  We'll get right on that with the $10,000 we don't have.