Sharing settings?

Answered!
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Sharing settings?

Under "Pricing" , I scrolled down and saw something I've never noticed before:  "Sharing settings."

When you click "edit," you'll see this message:  "Find out more about the listings your potential guests are checking out. If you share some details about your listing and bookings with other hosts, you can see the listings that guests end up booking after checking out your place."

Then you can either choose "Listing and Booking Details," "Booking Details," or "None."

Is this new?  And what is the advantage?  

Screenshot 2019-04-11 09.57.09.png

1 Best Answer
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ann72  @Olivia659  @Ada2463 @Brian2036 

@Ann72 , I did notice this when it was introduced back in late 2018 but I did put it to good use. Trying to work with others in my area I contacted some of those local hosts who were offering 'better deals than me,' half a dozen of us got together for a cup of coffee and we agreed to help each other out if the need ever arose!

I had the situation in early 2019 where I ended up with 2 entirely separate confirmed Airbnb reservations on my property for the same night!

How on earth could this happen you may say! Long story but a current guest wanted to extend his stay and while he was in the process of extending his booking with Airbnb support,  another guest jumped in via IB and grabbed the next night. It wasn't just as simple as that but like a I said, a long story short. Here I was with two confirmed Airbnb reservations on my property for the same night. I rang support and they were completely useless, could offer me no alternative but find a corner in my property where I could overnight house one of the confirmed bookings.

Just the sort of support you need when you need support hey!!!!!

Remembering my local contacts via that coffee meeting I did a phone around and managed to have another local host put up one of my confirmed bookings for the night. We never bothered to contact or amend any booking details with Airbnb because we all thought it would go into the 'too hard basket' so, when the reservation payment for the second guest arrived in my account I just handed it over to the other host and, all in Gods world was tranquil again! I have since been able to return the favour so it has worked out well!

To be in this business you have to be adaptable and I am quite thankful that Airbnb gave me the tools to have a relationship with other hosts in my area. That wasn't their intention, their idea was to have me lower my prices to remain competitive.....always the mercenary, but, we have all come out as winners!

Cheers........Rob

View Best Answer in original post

56 Replies 56
Devon43
Level 2
Courtenay, Canada

I also just stumbled on this feature, but don't see where to "see the results." Look forward to it showing up randomly one day or one of you figuring it out and sharing with us 🙂 Thanks!

Rajan2
Level 8
Los Angeles, CA

I have had mine on and have not found a way to see anything about other listings. Let me know if anyone has luck on this. Could be helpful to get great guests in who are searching for my listing. 

Airbnb has done a terrible job being transparent with us regarding these 'sharing options'. What are we actually sharing and how does that benefit us if we can not access any information? A real big disappointment here. Lack of transparency....

What are you thoughts?

Yes, I agree.  I have checked that I am letting other hosts see my whole listing, bookings etc so that I can, as they purport I can, see the listings that guests book if they have looked at my listing but but decided to book a different place.  However, how, where, when do I see this information ??  I have yet to see any way to see what guests have booked after looking at my listing, and I can't imagine that is because it never happened.  I find it preposterous that they have given us a feature we cannot even use and with NO instructions whatsoever on how to use it !!

JD29
Level 4
Titusville, FL

I believe when sharing data, it helps Airbnb algorithm to put a suggested price on calendar.  It could be a way for them to suggest pricing tips. So, it might be more useful for Airbnb to draw some statistics. I might be wrong. I didn't turn it on!

Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

Has anyone had success in gleaning information from this option? I finally toggled it on but see nothing on my calendar. How long does it take for the data to show, and where will I see it? I've not found any details on it at all.

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.

Any updates on this feature?  Has anyone found it useful yet?  Considering the full sharing thing, but want to see if it is worth it.

Larry116
Level 2
California, United States

Not many bookings here recently,  but regardless have not seen how the feature works.

Keep checking but still don’t have that option. 

Liane514
Level 2
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada

I just noticed this in my listing edit options too and came here to find more info and it looks like 2 years later there is still no useful information?! Is that correct, or has anyone received useful info from this feature?

Trish370
Level 2
Branson, MO

I stumbled on this feature and thought I couldn’t figure it out because I’m fairly new to all this but I’m glad to see that I’m not the only one confused. I turned it on and don’t see where to find the information either. Looking forward to someone figuring it out tho!

@Trish370 when we enabled this we got the odd email mostly saying someone had booked a similar place for less money than ours. It seemed a waste of time so we switched it off again.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

Same here. I saw it some years ago and being curious, turned it on. Nothing happened. Couldn't get any competitive info. Turned it off. 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Trish370 

I enabled it months ago and haven’t seen any results of any kind.

Maybe it’s helping someone else but it isn’t doing anything for us.

Kadeem4
Level 1
Miami, FL

Did anyone found the answer yet?