Sharing settings?

Answered!
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Sharing settings?

Under "Pricing" , I scrolled down and saw something I've never noticed before:  "Sharing settings."

When you click "edit," you'll see this message:  "Find out more about the listings your potential guests are checking out. If you share some details about your listing and bookings with other hosts, you can see the listings that guests end up booking after checking out your place."

Then you can either choose "Listing and Booking Details," "Booking Details," or "None."

Is this new?  And what is the advantage?  

Screenshot 2019-04-11 09.57.09.png

1 Best Answer
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ann72  @Olivia659  @Ada2463 @Brian2036 

@Ann72 , I did notice this when it was introduced back in late 2018 but I did put it to good use. Trying to work with others in my area I contacted some of those local hosts who were offering 'better deals than me,' half a dozen of us got together for a cup of coffee and we agreed to help each other out if the need ever arose!

I had the situation in early 2019 where I ended up with 2 entirely separate confirmed Airbnb reservations on my property for the same night!

How on earth could this happen you may say! Long story but a current guest wanted to extend his stay and while he was in the process of extending his booking with Airbnb support,  another guest jumped in via IB and grabbed the next night. It wasn't just as simple as that but like a I said, a long story short. Here I was with two confirmed Airbnb reservations on my property for the same night. I rang support and they were completely useless, could offer me no alternative but find a corner in my property where I could overnight house one of the confirmed bookings.

Just the sort of support you need when you need support hey!!!!!

Remembering my local contacts via that coffee meeting I did a phone around and managed to have another local host put up one of my confirmed bookings for the night. We never bothered to contact or amend any booking details with Airbnb because we all thought it would go into the 'too hard basket' so, when the reservation payment for the second guest arrived in my account I just handed it over to the other host and, all in Gods world was tranquil again! I have since been able to return the favour so it has worked out well!

To be in this business you have to be adaptable and I am quite thankful that Airbnb gave me the tools to have a relationship with other hosts in my area. That wasn't their intention, their idea was to have me lower my prices to remain competitive.....always the mercenary, but, we have all come out as winners!

Cheers........Rob

View Best Answer in original post

56 Replies 56
Ada2463
Level 2
San Juan, Puerto Rico

check you Account Notification Settings, my notifications were all off

I am a cohost. Do I have the privileges to see she data too? If so, where can I find the information? 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ann72  @Olivia659  @Ada2463 @Brian2036 

@Ann72 , I did notice this when it was introduced back in late 2018 but I did put it to good use. Trying to work with others in my area I contacted some of those local hosts who were offering 'better deals than me,' half a dozen of us got together for a cup of coffee and we agreed to help each other out if the need ever arose!

I had the situation in early 2019 where I ended up with 2 entirely separate confirmed Airbnb reservations on my property for the same night!

How on earth could this happen you may say! Long story but a current guest wanted to extend his stay and while he was in the process of extending his booking with Airbnb support,  another guest jumped in via IB and grabbed the next night. It wasn't just as simple as that but like a I said, a long story short. Here I was with two confirmed Airbnb reservations on my property for the same night. I rang support and they were completely useless, could offer me no alternative but find a corner in my property where I could overnight house one of the confirmed bookings.

Just the sort of support you need when you need support hey!!!!!

Remembering my local contacts via that coffee meeting I did a phone around and managed to have another local host put up one of my confirmed bookings for the night. We never bothered to contact or amend any booking details with Airbnb because we all thought it would go into the 'too hard basket' so, when the reservation payment for the second guest arrived in my account I just handed it over to the other host and, all in Gods world was tranquil again! I have since been able to return the favour so it has worked out well!

To be in this business you have to be adaptable and I am quite thankful that Airbnb gave me the tools to have a relationship with other hosts in my area. That wasn't their intention, their idea was to have me lower my prices to remain competitive.....always the mercenary, but, we have all come out as winners!

Cheers........Rob

@Robin4 Where can I find other hosts information on Airbnb? Can cohost also have access to the data of where guests ended up booking in my area? 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Olivia659 

Olivia,  Airbnb are not forthcoming about sharing hosts information but, so incensed by Airbnb trying to play one local host off against another, I took the bull by the horns and contacted local hosts through a general search of my area  using the location tool at the bottom of the listing description!

We got together at a local coffee shop and all agreed that we could learn from each other and if required, help each other when required. Olivia it has been a win/win for us, we get together frequently, and are currently working on having a regular progressive dinner evening where (in rotation) one host will host the night and each of us will bring along a dinner course. 

Olivia we are the grass roots of hosting and we can learn far more from each other than hundreds of hours of Airbnb promotional video.

Cheers........Rob 

Thank you so much @Robin4 ! This is very helpful for me. I just started Airbnb hosting recently. I found it hard to have bookings coming after the new listing promotional period. There’s still a lot for me to learn. Thank you for sharing your experience. 

@Olivia659  I see you list for only 28 plus days. Is that a requirement in your area, or your choice? Because opening up to shorter term bookings would certainly open up more interest. 

Also, I have some suggestions for your listing. You list for 6 people, but only have living room seating for 4 and while the dining table looks like it could accommodate 6 ( pretty squished, though), I only see 4 dining chairs. Sleeping spaces and other furnishings need to jive as far as how many people can be accommodated.

And while your place is nicely furnished, it has a bit of a barren feel to it. How about some colorful throw rugs in the bedrooms and living room? Something to  soften the space. 

And one of your bedrooms has a too big bed squished in between the glass door and the wall, leaving no space for nightstands or lamps. Another bedroom also  has no bedside tables or bedside lamps. 

As you are only taking long term rentals, what demographic of people do you see booking your place? Do you think that 6 people sharing one bathroom for a month or more is practical? I don't. 1 bathroom for 6 in some areas of the world might be normal, but not in Canada.

You might consider turning the bedroom with the too large bed for the space into an office instead, as there are so many digital nomads these days and taking your guest count down to 4. Or if you envision families booking, turn that room into a kid's playroom/den.

Also you should have more than one photo for the bedrooms. I can't get any sense of the space  from the bed photos. Are there closets? Dressers? Take a couple photos of each bedroom from diffent angles.

Wow! Do you want to make suggestions for my place?

:))

Marco3293
Level 1
Verona, Italy

Hi,  did anyone found out about what is this feature doing? In the Insights page - views  I can see at the bottom other listings similar to mine. Not sure it's related to this sharing setting though.

Derek452
Level 2
Queen Creek, AZ

I see this information here: https://www.airbnb.com/progress/views/

What do you see there exactly @Derek452 ? On that page all I see is my daily view count and a section that shows "Similar listings to yours", but no other information. I've had my sharing settings turn on for months now. About to turn it off since it seems to do no good.

Ashley1498
Level 1
Houston, TX

You will need to enable Professional Hosting Tools to see all the data/insights that might be available and helpful for you.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2499

This along with Sharing settings set to Listing and Booking Details will give you the most data feedback.