Shocked by Airbnb’s response

Laura1776
Level 2
Manchester, United Kingdom

Shocked by Airbnb’s response

I advertise my home as a quiet peaceful home, no alcohol on property and the house rules state quiet time after 9pm

Last night my guest can’t home drunk at 1.30am waking me up trying to cook downstairs. I went downstairs and he kept saying he had nowhere to put his food in the fridge. I don’t offer food storage but allow guests to use the fridge. 

I calmly said it’s 1.30 am, I have work I’m the morning and I’m pregnant. He continued and got quite aggressive. I was scared. I almost called the police but drove to my husbands house instead. He came back with me to check the house wasn’t burnt down and to tell the guest he must leave in morning. Throughout the night he continued to text me saying where can I put my food? Which I ignored. 

I had had to miss work today as I had an hours sleep, and my pregnacy is already exhausting me. 

I spoke to my other guest and she was quite scared. 

I rang Airbnb at 3am and I found the agent not very understanding. She spoke to him and he agreed to leave at 8am. 

He didbg lesve and my partner spoke to him many times before he left at 10am

airbnb are only paying me for half the night as my checkout is 12pm. I’m not bothered about the payment, but was quite upset by the agents response. She said I had evicted him, and refused to answer his questions about the food by text! Why would I engage in a volatile situation! I shocked by their tone, and their lack of duty of care towards a pregnant woman. 

I want to make a complaint, is it worth it? 

Thanks in advance

46 Replies 46
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Well, those of you that know me by now from my posts, would surmise that I am big into personal responsibility, and pragmatism. Yes, there is only so much Airbnb can do from afar, so yes all host should take that into consideration and stay clear on the side of caution.

On the other hand, I wish Airbnb did hold scamming, hustling, aggressive, obnoxious and just plain mean-spirited guests more responsible for their actions, when it is obvious they fall under any one of those above-mentioned personalities.

Who the heck needs them? Certainly no hosts do, and certainly not Airbnb. 

Norma90
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

Sorry, that it happened to you: However, it happened to me today too... Today a guy booked for one person and there were three of them coming including a dog . I told him that he have to book for three person and he did not respond, i called him and he said that he is not paying for three, because i sent him an invitation to book for one , he  lied. Eventually, he threaten to sue me for the extra money that i am asking him to pay out for the other two person. Anyway, i cancelled the reservation and refunded him the money. In addition, last night a guy booked for three other guys at about 7:49 and within a few minutes he wanted a refund , he claimed that my home is far away from where he is doing his recording. Even though i have stricy cancellation policy ; i decided that i would refund him half , he did not want that he wanted the full refund. Therefore, after 43underlying threat message that he sent me , we cancelled and refunded him the money. I do not know what effect this has on me as a host on Airbnb, but my sanity, mysafety, my self-worth and my health is more important to me. At all cost i tried very hard to eliminate stress from my life. Who knows what those guys would have done had i not refunded them their money