Short term rental ban Town of Hempstead

Short term rental ban Town of Hempstead

Short-term rental ban proposed for Town of Hempstead?  Americas Largest Township 800,000 people

Under this proposal residential property rentals would be restricted to a minimum of 28 days. Also there will be provisions that would establish a residential property rental permit and registry program. The Santino home-rental registry and permit program would entail a fee of $500 for the initial two-year permit and a renewal fee of $450 thereafter.

Santino indicated that the town’s building department would be monitoring short-term rentals sites and real estate listings to ferret out violations.

“Prohibiting short-term residential rentals and establishing a rental permit and registry program will help achieve the important goals of keeping residential houses safe and maintain community character.”

To voice your concerns, go to the hearing that will be held on Tuesday, July 11th 2017, 10:30 am at Town of Hempstead Town Hall.

36 Replies 36

Agreed completely. Th Bo's totally misguided government trying again to hold back individuals from using their own property the way they wish and fight the tide of disruptive technology. Short term rentals are part of the fabric of society for centuries. They cite the need for smoke and fire and CO detectors yet these are already covered in multiple laws requiring them in every 

I am outraged and want to cry about this. Those greedy, stupid, nosy SOB's.  There are many grumpy old pigs in my beach area in Lido Beach that APPROACHED MY TENANT AND TOLD HER SHE COULD BE FINED IF SHE'S UNDER 28 DAYS.  My tenant immediately informed me.

What is their problem?  Noise? Traffic?  Not from my tenants.  There is NO parking on the streets to the beach because they would get towed. 

So long term rentals are okay where our homes can be decimated during that long lease and we can't get in.  I get in after a week and whatever needs attention gets immediate attention.  It has helped us enormously pay our hefty mortgage, taxes and insurance.  It's a beach community (Pt.Lookout, Lido Beach, Long Beach and Atllantic Beach).  I'm in a private home.  My tenants sign a lease and they are not outside after midnight!   My neighbors love us but it's the jerks that live on the "Dunes" that see "strangers" walking past their homes to enjoy the beach AS THEIR F'G FAMILIES DO AS WELL!   

I intend to go. Please text or call if I can get a copy of your response to deliver verbally or use as a starting point for my own. I am good public speaker. 

**[Number hidden, for safety reasons - to send a Direct Message in the Community Center, hover over the post profile photo and click 'Send Message']

Norman, what is the exact address of the Town Hall? I'll try to be there. 

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en-us&client=safari&yv=2&um=1&ie=UTF-8&fb=1&gl=us&entry=s&sa=X&ftid=...

1 Washington Street, Hempstead, NY 11550. 516.489.5000. Call Monday. Does anyone know if the meeting on Tuesday will Bev a Town Board meeting? I do not know if it will be held at Town Hall

Yes the meeting is at Town Hall in the pavillion

Ron100
Level 1
New York, NY

Did they rule on this today? That commercial they put out online suggests they made up their minds. I did catch part of the livestream, was impressed with the hosts who attended and expressed their point of view.

Yes the law passed. I spoke at the meeting and I agree they had made up there mind. Please contact me, rori at optonline dot net. I have some information for you.

Rori, what does the law state exactly. 

Send me an email to rorig at optonline dot net and I will send it to you

Rori, what does the law state exactly. This would benefit other Airbnb hosts to know. Thanks, @Welcome0

It is long and convoluted. It is now illegal to rent for less than 28 days which elliminates most of the people in the Town of Hempstead. Lido Beach which had complaints was sent a seperate letter, no other community in the Town of Hempstead received the letter that we are aware of. Out of 12 people that showed up to complain, 11 came from Lido Beach one from Uniondale. Another 11 people showed up to speak in favor of not passing the law. It was predetermined that the TOH had already made up there mind. It is a political year. People must attend Town Board meetings and VOTE in the local elections. That is the only way make change.

Watch the link to yesterdays meeting here:

Donna213
Level 2
New York, NY

People, usually old frumpy grumps have nothing better to do than look for people who "don't belong on their beach" but it's not their **bleep** beach.  These are the same old farts that have huge groups of "family and friends" taking up street space.

Let me tell you Lido Beach Farts:   Everytime I see a car that has NO permit in front of your house, you are going to get a visit from the town and get  your car towed!!!    Get a life! 

Carol312
Level 1
New York, NY

Someone told me that if the owner is leaving in the house, rooms can be rented. Is it correct?