Short term rental ban Town of Hempstead

Short term rental ban Town of Hempstead

Short-term rental ban proposed for Town of Hempstead?  Americas Largest Township 800,000 people

Under this proposal residential property rentals would be restricted to a minimum of 28 days. Also there will be provisions that would establish a residential property rental permit and registry program. The Santino home-rental registry and permit program would entail a fee of $500 for the initial two-year permit and a renewal fee of $450 thereafter.

Santino indicated that the town’s building department would be monitoring short-term rentals sites and real estate listings to ferret out violations.

“Prohibiting short-term residential rentals and establishing a rental permit and registry program will help achieve the important goals of keeping residential houses safe and maintain community character.”

To voice your concerns, go to the hearing that will be held on Tuesday, July 11th 2017, 10:30 am at Town of Hempstead Town Hall.

36 Replies 36

That is not correct. There are no longer short term rentals permitted.

Norman21
Level 2
New York, NY

It is now about nine months since this law was enacted. Can anyone here tell us about their interactions with the ToH Buildings Department in processing permit applications; scheduling inspections; conducting inspections; etc? 

Paolo228
Level 2
Venice, Italy

Hello, so what’s the latest?

When someone purchases a home the title should read the name of the owner......But no

Hey there, what do you mean? And are u still renting? What town are you in.  And don’t worry I’m not with the town.  Lol

Diana1881
Level 1
New York, NY

I live in the Catskills, West Hurley and the just passed a ban on short term rentals and once signed by the State (it is in the process) they will implement it. What to do! Any ideas?

Pablo1406
Level 1
New York, NY

Hello everyone,

Any updates on short term rentals in the town of Hempstead, NY.

I heard airbnb is illegal here but I see many rentals listed on the site, Help