Should ABB do more to incentivize hosts?

Answered!
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Should ABB do more to incentivize hosts?

I had this discussion with a friend who is considering hosting.

She asked "what do you get?" meaning what does ABB do to incentivise hosts to  begin/keep on. And I couldn't think of much. A $100 gift certificate for super hosts once a year? Maybe a photo shoot (that seems to be off and on?) Obviously we get paid to host, but more and more I debate whether it is worthwhile. 

Do you think ABB should do more to reward or incentivise hosts? 

If so, what would be worthwhile to you?

1 Best Answer
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Personally,  would like to see more emphasis put in a few things, in the future.

1. More education of hosts as to the do's and don'ts of hosting. It is a business, which requires a certain finesse and wisdom than just being a consumer or an employee. Most people do not have experience  how to run a business. Maybe this forum could help in that department - 'The Dos and Dont's of Hosting'.

2. Conversely, sooner or later Airbnb should graduate from the 'everyone is beautiful lovefest'  mentality and accept the fact some guests are nothing short of mean-spirited scoundrels and should be treated as such once it becomes obvious. Society is general as we speak is 'discovering' the phenomena that - the more you cuddle the more aggressive, the meaner this lot will become without mercy.

3. If I was Airbnb I would slowly divorced myself from giving the impression they are offering any type of 'guarantee' as to damages for this is predicting human behavior of people they also have never met, which is similar to predicting future weather. The real reason why this is so important is because Airbnb charges only a 3% booking host fee and that is the main reason why it has been so successful with the best of offerings (which leads to where people go), and that will no longer be the case if administrative costs go up, as is the case with other listing agencies. 

Speaking of administrative costs, then there is the CS Department: This should be looked anew but backwards; reduce the reasons for it by education of hosts (See #1 above), holding certifiable-crazy guests immediately responsible (see #2) and lastly eliminate the whole claim department over-damages quagmire (see #3). Perhaps how all this could be accomplished is by having available a place were any and all questions are covered by guides available in the Airbnb web page and/or in this forum where guests can find answers to most questions immediately. Those too lazy to read have always been impossible to accommodate anyway, so let them waste their time calling a useless 'customer service department'.

(Note: I have never talked to a single guest on the phone in 7 years (700+ bookings) because it is usually a  monstrous waste of time and effort. I rather meet them in person when they finally arrive. Given that chance I will have them happily laughing and wrongly thinking I am a great guy in a few nano-seconds. 🙂

Note #2: Elaine701 is a very smart host! 

View Best Answer in original post

51 Replies 51

@Stephanie  I haven't had bad experiences in terms of my guests at all. Nothing that couldn't be worked out amiably in the moment with the guest.

So I've never had to deal with CS in regards to guest issues like partiers and house trashers and rule breakers. 

But every time I have had to contact CS about a tech issue, an explanation of a policy, where to enter information Airbnb is asking for, etc., it takes no less than 6 back and forths with CS to give me a simple answer to a simple question.

The first thing they do is send a message filled with gushy words about how much they appreciate my being such a great Superhost. No one likes this. No hosts find this useful. We find it really ridiculous and irritating. We aren't preschoolers who glow with pride to be praised by the teacher. We contacted them for help,  not placating words. It's hard to understand why whoever comes up with these ideas at Airbnb thinks this gushing, rote praise is in any way appreciated or valuable.

That message is then usually accompanied by a link to the Help pages which has nothing to do with my issue. The CS rep hasn't even read my message nor attempted to address it- they have picked out some key word in my message like "review" and sent a link that is about some aspect of reviews but doesn't have anything to do with my question.

When I message back, saying this, they apologize and ask me to explain it all over again. Or ask, "so your issue is that...?" Which it isn't- they still haven't seemingly read the message or attempted to understand. 

This goes on and on.

And while it hasn't yet happened to me, this outrageous practice of suspending hosts' listings, without even talking to the host first, the instant a guest makes a report of cameras, privacy issues, safety issues, is the height of disrespect for hosts. Guilty until proven innocent? Listing suspended, upcoming bookings cancelled? All based on whatever some guest tells them, usually total lies? A newbie guest with no reviews accusing a 5* host with pages of glowing reviews, and never such a complaint lodged before, and Airbnb is so disrespectful as to shut down a host's business? This is how dictatorships operate.

I could go on, but suffice it to say that instead of being able to feel that the company I list with will treat me fairly and with respect, I know from other hosts' experiences and my own, that they won't. Quite the opposite. This is why when a friend or family member tells me they are considering hosting, I give them a long list of what they should be prepared for in terms of not only being supported by Airbnb, but being prepared to have Airbnb treat them unfairly and disrespectfully.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Sarah977 

I'm with you on all of that. 

But considering that most superhosts tend to be seasoned pros, the smarmy, gushy, scripted (almost always the same phrase) disarmament speeches are really insulting and unprofessional.

Especially if it's not your first rodeo, and you already expect to be thrown off the bull, so all the kissy kissy stuff appears incredibly disingenuous. 

It says to me that Airbnb must think we're all fools. Whether that's true or not is anyone's guess. But it's certainly the impression it (and other behaviours) leave. 

Script if you must, but take some professional communications training before scripting this crap.

@Elaine701  It is quite insulting, especially as it seems designed to deflect from the fact that they are not effectively helping with our issue. Like "I'm sure you'll ignore my incompetency if I'm super nice to you". 

Back when my daughters were kids and teenagers, in the 90's, there was this misguided "self-esteem" movement, where parents and educators were told to build self-esteem in children by constantly heaping praise on them for even the most simple and expected tasks they performed. 

The powers that be at Airbnb, their CEOs, grew up in that era. I suspect that is why we get this gushy, useless verbiage.

Hosts won’t need expensive customer service if their terms are simply set in stone (regarding cancellations) and their security deposit is a real thing they can charge if there is a problem. 

The need for live agents who are reachable and knowledgeable has escalated due to the ongoing issue of Airbnb being the middleman mediating refunds and damage charges. 

The main thing that would keep good hosts loyal is total support. If you reach maybe 100 bookings then they could take away the risk of 50% loss of a guest reports “a problem” on arrival??

Risks have gone up not down for those of us who have been around for a while. I used to only worry about fake funeral bulletins for refunds (which was enough to worry about) now I have to worry about a dead bug costing me half or a person who is not comfortable with a mixed race city like mine pretending my listing gave them asthma or isn’t “secure” with enough locks… and it all

comes down to a decision from an Airbnb phone agent. There are just too many potential scenarios for an unpaid valuable weekend exist on this platform. 

Once a host is proven as not a crook and not a total novice they should not have to worry that their cancelation refund policy could be overridden or their damage deposit could be denied. 

I agree with @Sarah977  The customer service is awful. I called customer service last week because I was unable to sent a repeat guest a  special offer. (I had done it earlier in the day, with some difficulty with another person). I was told by the customer service rep that I couldn't send a special offer to a repeat guest…. only to a new guest… which is completely false. She would not stand down and told me she was sending me an article with the "new policy." I told there was no new policy put into effect with the the hour that I send the other guest a discount.

It was infuriating and maddening. When I asked for a supervisior I was told I would have to wait 24-48 hours for a return phone call.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Laura2592 @Stephanie I would rather Airbnb scrap the Superhost financial reward and just provide better customer service with the money they save. Perhaps Superhosts should also get the benefit of the doubt when a guest complains and certainly, unless a real safety issue is alleged, they should be investigated first before being suspended. 

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Stephanie @Laura2592 @Mike-And-Jane0      Honestly, the number of posts about long-time hosts with great reviews being suspended for indeterminate periods of time, with their guests cancelled,  on the word of a first-time guest with no track record, and by some case manager in some remote call center, has made me rethink  my plans for Airbnb.  

I was planning on it as a source of retirement income, but it can't be relied upon, so I've actually cut back on the days I plan to host, and I've pursued other income sources instead, that I think will be more stable, long term. 

It would incentivize me more if I felt like I was actually in control over my own listing. 

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Laura2592 @Stephanie

As it is now host can require guest to provide government ID when making a reservation, instructions on what info to include in first message, only if they are using Instant Book. 

One of the biggest frustrations for protective host would be the lack of communication. 

Once guest and host learn anything about the policies and rules, they realize there is no substance to any of them. 

One thing Aibnb could do is require legitimate verified ID from both guest and host.   

Wanted to add I don't expect anything to change. Airbnb will see an increase in claims and payouts for both damages and lawsuits. Host can expect increase in canceled reservations, and negative reviews if guest can't cancel the night before or same day for full refund. Some guest can't be bothered to read the listing at all, and all that comes back on the host. 

This is an investment and you have to adapt or move on to other options. I wish I didn't even have to rent out an apartment attached to my house, but my one tiny listing is doing well and Airbnb has been a great option for me.  As far as planning ahead, expanding more rentals wasn't the highest priority. Maybe if you have a ton of slush money and want to give it a go multiple listings might be a good option. Not sure, but a lot of Airbnb might go the way of high risk rental where increasing number of guest/tenants just want to trash a place and live their free thats ruining it for everyone else. Host just have to be selective about what is a good fit for the platform. A lot has changed in the past two years and host are taking all the risk. 

@John5097  I agree - it is an investment. I certainly have, on balance, enjoyed the supplemental income, but if I really calculate how much time I spend on it, it's not a spectacular return for the level of risk.

I'm getting better at "picking" guests, but every now and then, I get a "spider" complaint - I have a garden space - which, if turned over to Airbnb CS, could, these days, turn into an immediate suspension without warning.  The most recent being someone who was terrified of the empty shell of a cicada on an outside wall.

I also have Ring doorbells, declared in every spot I can think of, which could be weaponized if someone chose to do that.    Everyone around here has them - the local police use the video as evidence in all kinds of cases - from package theft to shootings. The benefits of having them far outweighs the risk of having my Airbnb shut down by a vindictive guest. So they will stay.

I already have bookings out to the next Marathon, so I keep at it.  I just think one has to be clear-eyed about it, and I built in more time between bookings so I don't have to feel stressed to turn the place over, every time. 

@Michelle53 I looked over your listing. It says its a garden apartment but no pics of a garden. Do you not include any pics of that because you think CS will delist you for having an outdoor space? 

Also was surprised to see a 4.7 on cleanliness, as you use an additional day to clean. Are guest marking you down because of seeing a cicada shell in the hidden mystery garden? 

Your rates are only $49 a night for an entire apartment so could understand it not being worth it, but maybe you get busier during spider season?

Also noticed you mentioned the Ring cameras in the Space part of the listing so could just move that to Other Things to Note. 

I guess every host has their own approach to hosting, but its important to make the listing as accurate as possible. 

Some of your reviews did say it was the best one they have every stayed in so that's very encouraging! 

As I live here I don't have any cameras and removed anything that could even resemble any kind of monitoring device such as motion detector light switch for bathroom fan, and thermoset sensor for Nest. 

Also seal up every possible crack insects or spiders may access. It helps a lot but this is like Florida and the ground outside is crawling with bugs and roaches. 

I hope it keeps working out for us. I'm used to high risk with hurricanes every year so it kind of teaches you to plan ahead, and working in construction is also high risk so don't want to make it any higher.  

@John5097 with kindness, @Michelle53 did not ask for a listing critique. It can be easy to think that a 4.7 is a poor cleanliness score when you are sitting at 5.0 but please remember, it just takes that one terrible guest to tank a score. I'm so glad that it has not happened to you. I think your listing looks awesome. But I do feel that it's a matter of "when" not "if" for all of us. And I'm hearing from many hosts on this thread that the number one ask is ABB support when the day comes. 

@Laura2592  I was simply asking why her rating for cleanliness was 4.7 as  @Michelle53 had mentioned to me in her response to my post here that she takes an extra day to clean between guest so I feel it was relevant and was not giving a critique and simply following up on her statement to my post. It was all meant to be constructive. Although maybe it would be best if I didn't post here as often. Like I said I don't think anything will change and in the end the truth wins out.  

@John5097   

I used to have pics of a garden, but they were in springtime, and folks coming in summer and fall complained that it wasn't like the photos, and marked me down for accuracy.  Since I can't possibly represent every state of garden play 365 days a year in photos, I removed them. 

I'm not going to comment on any of the rest.  I don't believe 7 years of hosting requires me to explain myself. 

@Michelle53  It might be kind of cool to have a "garden area through the seasons" photos. You could even photoshop 4 photos into one photo.