Should I Report this Guest?

Zappa0
Level 10
Key West, FL

Should I Report this Guest?

Hi everyone-

I had a guest request to stay with 3 pretty terrible (and lengthy) reviews, so I declined. She wrote back asking if she could stay on one of the other boats I rent and I told her I felt uncomfortable hosting her because of the reviews. She thanked me for the quick response, and moved on...so I thought.

A few minutes later, we received a second request from her boyfriend/husband who was traveling with her. He made no mention of the previous issue and tried to pretend like he was a totally different booking. We called him out on it, and declined him too.

He wrote back saying that it is disappointing that we will not host them based on a few bad reviews.

Well, isn't that the point of this trust system? 

And proceeded to tell me about the Ivy league university he went to as if that somehow makes him a good person.

I flagged both of them and blocked them - but what does that do?

I think it is really deceptive to get declined under one profile and then send another request under another. Should I report them to airbnb (by calling) or just flagging them suffice (it didn't let me put why I was flagging them).

Thanks for your advice.

24 Replies 24
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Flag them, IF Airbnb needs an explanation they will further pursue it.

I had four (4) people trying to book, all related and because they used similar odd language it was easy to make the connection at my end.

I think flagging accounts will do the trick. You can also send an email via help with the reasons so they can investigate. Bless the previous hosts for leaving clear reviews! We had some jerk lie all over the place about being a lawyer (all the typos and misspellings said otherwise) and having used ABB for ten years (but only 2 reviews) and whatnot. We left him a negative review for all the rules he broke and he sent a profanity-filled threatening message. We flagged and emailed help. He got removed. If you could, please try to get them removed.

The year is 2017, Airbnb started 2008 = 9 years but he is been using it 10 years. Has a tough time with basic math to boot.

How do I flag and email ABB what hapened between me and a guest. I had a similar experience. this was a big guy (tall and heavy). I was afraid that if he attacks me I had no chance to fight him. Hhe had no reviews. He stayed with me for 2 nights. first night he checked in almost at midnight coming from the hospital where he started a new job as a technician so we went to our rooms and didnt talk. the next day I messaged him on ABB during the day - like I do with all my guests - to ask if he needed anything and to tell him that i left greek coofee in the kitchen for him to make. I'm half greek. In the evening when he arrived he said he didnt know how to make coffee and asked me to make it for him. I made one cup just for him bc I can't drink coffee after 5pm or i wont sleep at all. I gave him a piece of lockum and a glass of water, like they do in the middle east. he told me he was Pakistani. then he proceeded to ask me all kind of questions, like why I hosted, and silly me I told him I was a single mom and needed extra money for my son's college expenses. he then told me he was divorced and asked me if I think about remarrying. Asked about my exhusband, very personal questions... I felt terribly uncomfortable with these personal questions but I was afriad to tell him that this was not his business fearing this might tick him off and give me a bad review or even attack me. I kinda gave an evasive answer and swithced the conversation to jobs. Then he told me he liked my house and asked me if I could rent the room to him aoutside Airbnb. AGain, I was afraid to give him a flat no so I said I had to check my calendar and will let him know. he had only booked me for 2 days and had to leave the next morning. so in the same morning I messaged him on ABB that the room was not avaialble because someone else had booked it. He had called me immediately after he left the house but I didnt answer. Then he texted me on my phone saying how much he is going to miss my coffee and chat and begged me if he could stay in the living room and sleep on the sofa, while his room was rented. I didn;t answer. I blocked him on the on the phone. Then, he gave me a bad review. SHould I report him? if yes how do I send email; to ABB explaining about this guy? 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Unfortunately flagging a profile does little if only a few people flag a profile. They get some many.

I would give them a call.

Paul617
Level 1
New South Wales, Australia

Hi I have just joined air BnB and am setting up a sailing experience and accommodation on my boat in Sydney Australia 

do you have any tips ? 

Sorry I can't help with your guests as I'm totally new to this 

kind regards 

paul

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

One tip start your own message rather than tagging onto someone elses about a completely different topic - you will get a lot more views @Paul617

Fran52
Level 1
Cortland, NY

I would TOTALLY report them, YES

@Zappa0  I heard there was a new function, you click on "report this guest" and there is is option to block them from booking your place again. Not sure how well it works as is easy enough for a guest to set up a new account, but maybe Airbnb makes a note of the reported profiles.

Anna871
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

And where is that option to block someone because I can definitely use that for my last one...

Flag them and report them.

when you say flag them you mean block ?

Ione1
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

How do you flag them?

I just gave a poor guest a poor review (very rare for me) and i have had three messages telling me why i am so wrong.

I have blocked her from messaging me (or booking with me), but i feel like there should be more i can do.

She is supposedly a host too - which is even more concerning.  She should understand how much we all rely on each other for honest reviews of potential guests.

Im keen to hear what others would do in my situation.

ione

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Ione1

Little gray flag right upper corner message or where it says 'Report'  and the gray flag beside user profile.

@Anna871

Block user is now an option when flagging via the message.