Should I charge an "event" fee?

Christy88
Level 2
Portsmouth, NH

Should I charge an "event" fee?

A family of 5 has booked 2 nights in May 2019, and since I have a very big patio, they have asked if they can have a 4-hour party at my house for their daughter's college friends and their families. It'd go from 5 people to upwards of 30 people for the party. They said they'd only host it if it's nice weather. I first said "no" but now they're offering a security deposit. What are everyone's thoughts? Should I say "yes" and charge a venue fee, like $150 or something? Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks! 

24 Replies 24
Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

RED FLAG........avoid this booking ASAP 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Christy88the answer to this is in what you said above, you don't want to and it's more than what you want to deal with. Done. No is a complete sentence. 

I host parties in my space and allow guests to as well. But I want to, and I've done enough that I know what it's worth and what it costs.

And, ABB doesn't collect security deposits and you aren't allowed to either. That alone is a good reason to say no.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Pamela461

Hi Pamela, if you proceed with this reservation you will absolutely regret it!

It is bad enough controlling 50 sober people let alone 50 drunk ones, as I am sure @Letti0 will agree!

There categorically will be damage...these people are not going to sit around in tight groups and calmly discuss the woes of the world...they are going to drink alcohol and celebrate!

And I am 100% sure your insurance company would cancel their insurance cover in a flash if you received payment to host a wedding reception on their insured space!

I can't for the life of me understand why you would for a second even think about proceeding with a reservation of this sort!

Cheers.....Rob

Yes. I agree with you. I was shocked how they went about the whole subject. 

@Robin4  You are correct it's one of the reasons they must have a licensed TABC bartender and a security guard (I use off duty police). I require 1 of each for every 50 people. The bartender controls the liquor and cuts off anyone who's had too much. So for a group of 110-150 that's 3 of each which is $900 for the bartenders and $810 for the security added to the cost for a 5 hour event. They arrive a half hour early and leave a half hour later, so they are there for 6 hours total. I've lost some weddings because they felt almost $2,000 added between the bartenders, security and insurance was too much. Oh well, I won't risk it. It's one thing to hold a baby shower with 50 women during the day with no liquor, quite another thing to host 50 people celebrating into the night with liquor for 5 hours. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Letti0

My God, you are a brave girl Letti. I simply don't have the balls to do your end of the market! just give me the nice compliant couple who want a quiet couple of days away from the kids.

Far out.....I had to organise a lot of people in my working life but, you make me look like a babe in arms Letti!!!

Cheers......Rob

@Robin4  Funny story regarding balls for you. In my 20's and early on in my accounting/programmer history I worked for a Fortune 50 company. There where 5 of us in this department I was the only female and we all had our annual reviews the same day. I was the last one to be reviewed. All 4 of the other people left the comptroller's office with a package of tennis balls. After my review I did not get any, so of course I had to ask why. His words to me "Lady, you don't need any more balls, they do!" I left the review with a smile on my face, a nice raise and no tennis balls. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Letti0

Letti, you are showing your age! That comment would be regarded as inapropriate in the workforce these days.....but I do like it! What did your co-workers make of that?

You probably would be someone I would have had working for me.

I had a 'rule of thumb' criteria when hiring young fellows for jobs! If the back of their shoes and the trunk of their cars were neat and clean....they would make good employees!!

Cheers......Rob

@Robin4  They were not real thrilled with me to begin with as females back then were rare in the computer world. One of the guys was whining about something he didn't want to do one day that technically wasn't his job. Rather than explain that and say no he just whined. I handed him my stapler and told him here use this you need to put some steel in your spine. He quit a few weeks later. He just could not handle confrontation of any kind. The other eventually came around and decided it was better to work with me than against me. 

Pamela461
Level 2
Madison, MS

Yes, I agree. I was just astonished at the way they went about it. Red flags for sure.