Should I complain about a guest? And what Airbnb would do.

Florin32
Level 1
Șelimbăr, Romania

Should I complain about a guest? And what Airbnb would do.

Hello everyone. I'v been host a nice, modern apartment in the heart of Transylvania (Romania) for the past 2 month now. Im very happy with Airbnb, and even though sometimes it gets tricky cause im mostly busy, and also with one night guest, I can say that im a happy host. 

Most of my guests were really nice and considerate people, and I've been trying to deliver, so i have a 100% 5 star rating,  but like one week ago I had 3 guys from Spain staying just one night. Communication was lets say fair, and they seemed ok. They check out themselves, and when I went to th apartment for the turnover I had the horrible surprise to find my apartment all messed up. Now I know they are my guest, but I see it as a home sharing platform, one that people should be considerate of the property they are in.  These guys had all my pillows and linens on the floor , towels wet and crowded in one corner of the bathroom, food in the night stand and above all, the most disgusting thing, toilet was really dirty of fecal matter, keep in mind that the toilet brush is in hand reach.  I dont ask for cleaning fee, cause I think is just taking money for nothing out from the guest, in the condition that they would at least make an efforte to leave the apartment in a nice way. Now I ask you, what would you do? I have pics and everything71177810_403540617015587_2256699297628160000_n.jpg71185951_956544921346358_7126884038798737408_n.jpg71502770_2566228353444305_5616983149109051392_n.jpg70866733_454633845149675_3691726967339483136_n.jpg, should I write to Airbnb and ask for a minimum compensation? 

41 Replies 41
Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I'd complain in an honest review of the good and bad but if nothing was damaged to the point of needing replacement I'd think it would be a waste of time to seek any type of compensation. 

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Florin32 Airbnb only compensates you for actual extra costs that are incurred as a result of a guest stay - in other words, actual damage. Leaving a duvet on a sofa or some towels on the bathroom floor isn't going to qualify. If you have expectations about how guests leave your flat, I would clearly lay them out in your rules and your check out message so they know what you're expecting. Although these guests seem a bit untidy, they don't seem too far out of the norm for Airbnb guests. You're going to clean the toilet between guests anyways: one tiny spot of poop inside the toilet doesn't seem that bad to me.

You could mention that they were a bit untidy in your review and mark them down on cleanliness, but I wouldn't go that hard on them.

@Florin32  I agree with @Alexandra316 . About one third of the guests stay in Airbnb like staying in a hotel. The conditions left from the picture were not very bad and won't take much extra time to clean up.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Florin32 

To me, this looks like an annoyance, not an actual problem/issue. You need to decide if this annoyance is worth the money that you charge. If it is not, rethink your hosting strategy or raise your rates. I pick up after these annoyances all the time, but I make great money, so now it's part of my job description. Like any job, some days are better than others. 

@Emilia42  With these photos sent to Airbnb, I doubt Airbnb would do anything because Airbnb stand at the side of guests most of time.

Florin32
Level 1
Șelimbăr, Romania

I was kinda thinking the same as you folks, that's why I didn't take any other action excepting the bad review that I left for them. I was unsure what other hosts would do in such an instance. I'm always prepared for things like this and even more, like damage...  at the end you cannot only make money out of nothing. As I said, I dont have any other hosts to share experience with so I was looking for it here. Thank you for your honest opinion.  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Florin32  Sorry, but I don't see any big mess in the photos you posted. Looks pretty normal to me. Do you really expect it to look like no one stayed there? And the toilet- could really have done without the graphic, but like another host said, you have to clean the bathroom anyway.

@Florin32   I agree with @Sarah977 

After having just finished my dinner, I could have really done with the graphic toilet photo! 

I agree with you @Sarah977  I have guests leaving the place much worse than that but if nothing is damaged I don't care... our only tool is giving them a honest low score and that is all. Some people still think we are hotels and they have the right to leave the place untidy or dirty because they paid, and  people's cleanliness standards vary a lot. Airbnb will not do anything with photos like those.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Personally, I think you were a little hard on them. Some guests are great,  some aren't. Your review made them come across as pretty bad. Your photos tell a different story.

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

I cant see nothing so extraordinary on the pictures. Nothing is damaged.

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

This is literally 5* + guest for me ! Honestly when they sh*t in your  bed, when they trash your apartment or you walk in to urine still sitting in a pool on your bed because there was so much. Then you should  complain. 

Harold75
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

@Florin66   This looks like normal wear and tear.   Annoying, yes, but that is it.  There is  nothing in these photos  that screams CRISIS!   

@Emilia @Alexandra316   @Dimitar27   and others point this out and I agree with them.   You have to deal with the annoying factor.

FEW are the guests that practice leave no trace behind! 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I almost feel bad when a guest leaves their space spotless. Like they felt they had to do my job for me in order to get a good review. I had one guest who stayed for 4 days and it didn't even look like anyone had stayed in there. He even made the bed perfectly, even though I was, of course, going to change out the bedding. I was gobsmacked when I went in after he had left. Single guy, late 20's, I expected a bit of a mess. If I could have rated him 10 stars, I would have.