Should I complain about a guest? And what Airbnb would do.

Florin32
Level 1
Șelimbăr, Romania

Should I complain about a guest? And what Airbnb would do.

Hello everyone. I'v been host a nice, modern apartment in the heart of Transylvania (Romania) for the past 2 month now. Im very happy with Airbnb, and even though sometimes it gets tricky cause im mostly busy, and also with one night guest, I can say that im a happy host. 

Most of my guests were really nice and considerate people, and I've been trying to deliver, so i have a 100% 5 star rating,  but like one week ago I had 3 guys from Spain staying just one night. Communication was lets say fair, and they seemed ok. They check out themselves, and when I went to th apartment for the turnover I had the horrible surprise to find my apartment all messed up. Now I know they are my guest, but I see it as a home sharing platform, one that people should be considerate of the property they are in.  These guys had all my pillows and linens on the floor , towels wet and crowded in one corner of the bathroom, food in the night stand and above all, the most disgusting thing, toilet was really dirty of fecal matter, keep in mind that the toilet brush is in hand reach.  I dont ask for cleaning fee, cause I think is just taking money for nothing out from the guest, in the condition that they would at least make an efforte to leave the apartment in a nice way. Now I ask you, what would you do? I have pics and everything71177810_403540617015587_2256699297628160000_n.jpg71185951_956544921346358_7126884038798737408_n.jpg71502770_2566228353444305_5616983149109051392_n.jpg70866733_454633845149675_3691726967339483136_n.jpg, should I write to Airbnb and ask for a minimum compensation? 

41 Replies 41

@Sarah977   There are guests like that out there!  Few and far between!  But I had a few like you mention.   I call them "SuperGuests" 

Michael956
Level 10
Salvador, Brazil

Sorry,  but this does not look very bad. 

@Michael956holy heck! Where have you been? Hope you're back!

@Alexandra316  I  had a stroke in January and had to close my Airbnb for five months.  All is well now, I"m fully recovered, and back in business!  Thanks. 

@Michael956 @Alexandra316 

Hello Michael, I too welcome you back to the community forum.  I have always enjoyed reading your thoughtful, considerate comments and am so glad you are well and back in business. All the best!

@Michael956I knew about the stroke, but I really missed you: always love your opinions. Glad you're doing better and that things are back to normal!

Dee33
Level 10
Reston, VA

Are you joking?

These things are normal.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Michael956  I missed you here as well. Good to see you back and so glad you are recovered.

@Sarah977Thanks!  One more year of hosting here in San Francisco, and then I'm moving to Oaxaca.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Lovely to see your smiley face back on the forum, @Michael956. You've been missed.

@Michael956  Oh, cool. Now I'll have someone to visit in Oaxaca- are you going to be in Oaxaca City, or down on the coast? I  was last in the city about 40 years ago, and the coast 20 years ago.

@Sarah977  In Oaxaca City.  Love the coast, but can't take the heat.  Can't wait!!

Chastity3
Level 8
Orlando, FL

@Florin66 I've been hosting for 3 months and your pictures aren't bad at all in hindsight. You're suffering from new host syndrome like I suffered in the first month of hosting. I actually had my first guest accidentally take the hinge off my laundry room door. I got a handy man to fix it back for me and all has been well. I was originally pissed but talked to more experienced hosts and realized not everyone is going to treat your space as if their visiting their boss' home. From a new host to another new host, I'm kindly telling you to get over it or consider hanging up your hat to being a host. There will be worse things than a messy bed and a dirty toilet bowl to get upset about. So far I've enjoyed many of my wonderful guests and look forward to meeting others that already have booked my room. I expect hiccups along the way, but that's apart of hosting.

On another note, I charge a cleaning fee because I actually buy supplies to clean the room, so I don't understand your point of not charging a cleaning fee. However, that's your choice.

@Chastity3  All hosts buy cleaning supplies. I've never heard that mentioned as the reason to charge a cleaning fee. The cleaning fee usually has to do with the amount of time it takes to clean the space or to pay the cleaner.

I don't charge a cleaning fee myself, I just factor it into the booking price. I don't like my guests to see the price go up for added things when they go to book.

@Sarah977 you probably won’t hear every reason why hosts charge cleaning fees. I’m glad I’m the first you’ve heard. I factor in cleaning products and time. Your reasons to charge or not to charge is your prerogative same as mine.