Should I post beware of snakes sign ?

Margaret1185
Level 2
Tallahassee, FL

Should I post beware of snakes sign ?

Hi all.  Brand new at this. My listing is by a farm lake . I'm allowing paddling in our old canoes, but no swimming . There are cottonmouths in the lake brush and rattlesnakes on the place generally. You don't see them every day of course and ordinarily, not at all.  Never been bitten in 30 years of crashing around , but do I  need to warn city folk ?  I  am already warning them in my info and welcome book.   I already have an alligators sign! 

10 Replies 10
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Margaret1185   This is a tricky one, because if you make it obvious about snakes on the first part of your listing (at the moment I can only see it in things to know and house rules) it might put people off and I certainly would not book as I am absolutely terrified of snakes.  However, if they are about they will represent a threat.  Many guests do not read all listing details.  They look at the pictures, read the obvious stuff and then book.  In your position I would put up a sign inside your property, somewhere prominent and where it cannot be possibly missed stating something like ‘Just a gentle reminder and as mentioned in our listing … etc etc.’. I would also make sure that you have clear details/directions/numbers for the nearest emergency room just in case needed.

Margaret1185
Level 2
Tallahassee, FL

Thank you a@Kate867. Unfortunately the nearest emergency room is 25 minutes away. Oh well, either you are a nature lover or you aren't 🙄

@Margaret1185   I notice that the first part of your listing description is nature-themed, and already lists many of the native fauna that guests might spot - eagles, herons, owls, etc.  So why not simply add cottonmouths, rattlesnakes, and alligators to the list? Sure it will be off-putting to those who are afraid of them, but you won't benefit from attracting guests who will flee the home in terror if they encounter a reptile, or who aren't prepared to take precautions against being bitten. Those will just demand refunds and/or leave bad reviews.

On the other hand, your cottage would be a delight for guests who accept that snakes are just part of the wildlife. With those, you can just feature safety tips rather than "warnings." The difference is subtle, but one makes people feel calm and in control whereas the other can make them overestimate the danger and feel paranoid.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Margaret1185 Your place is all about nature, it is the reason why anyone would go there, it should attract those interested in nature. I would emphatically describe it so who comes does so with that understanding. 

Anyone coming should already know all about the reality of snakes, racoons, tarantulas, Pterodactyls, etc. in the Great Outdoors, I doubt you will get too many oblivious to that reality.

Enjoy at your own risk' is the theme and if such a sign is required (aka for a liability disclaimer) on the property then add it in an obvious place.  Even in the 'Nothing-is-My-Fault' U.S. this probably suffices.

Personally, I am not a fan of being 'The Bearer of Bad News' where is up to me to prepare guests about basic outdoor common sense or survival skills; if you are not already 'there', best not to come. 🙂

P.S. While here, the key to your type of place is to make sure to have plenty of benches (or pergolas and lean-tos), where the guests have a place to sit and watch nature in parallel from the most attractive places.

@Fred13 I don't think a liability disclaimer would ever be necessary for the home itself, but you'd definitely want some signage for the boats, since those are offered as an inclusive amenity. 

And using tippy canoes definitely a 'Use at Your Own Risk' sign by them would be in order.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Margaret1185 @Fred13 @Anonymous 

The right place to direct questions about what you need to do regarding legal liability is your insurance provider. Ours has very specific requirements about signage and house rules, but no requirement that guests sign a waiver. If you are in compliance with your insurer's requirements then you are good, and if you are not then you are not.

Interesting: We have everyone sign a waiver of liability here in Belize, if going on any 'tour'; which includes staying in the island. Not that it is easy to sue anyone in Belize.

@Fred13 I can't speak about how things work in Belize. We used to make people sign waivers for boat use, which was a total pita. When our liability insurer told us we didn't need to do that, we quit. But again, they do require specific signage and house rules, as well as provision of pfds and rescue ring buoys. We don't have dangerous snakes in our location. (But we do have cougars, and they have no specific requirements on that front. We do check the "potential for dangerous animal" box and our house manual includes information about them.)

If my mind is serving me well, there are no venomous snakes in Western, WA., right? I had a place for 15 years on Lake Crocker, just north of you. One night saw 2 cougars on the trail camera. Small world.