Should I remove Holocaust fiction and biographies from the bookcase?

Should I remove Holocaust fiction and biographies from the bookcase?

I have no fun books.  I have FEPOW memoirs, very old agatha chrystie paperbacks and Vine review copies from Amazon - the only good ones from the latter are almost all Holocaust fiction or biographies with some connection to NYC - is this not okay? 

I thought it would be okay but now I am not so sure - I am only used to looking at feminist bookcases where these sorts of titles are no big deal but we don't live in that era anymore and I have an Arab guest arriving tomorrow.    

3 Replies 3
Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

If this is your home, no! Let them be offended. They are not staying in their own house.

If this is a separate home that you rent as an "entire unit," then possibly. 

Consider your home just THAT, your HOME. If someone doesn't like it, too bad.

Consider your "entire unit" rental just as you would as if you were staging it for sale... nothing personal, etc. No family pictures, only generic paintings, etc.

That's how I see this.

Anne1524
Level 1
Vergennes, IL

I would focus on your first statement of "I have no fun books."  Rather than focus on removing your own personal content, consider adding a few things that a guest might be interested in looking at when they visit.  I too have books that some may consider objectional, but have left them all in place on my own bok cases in the common areas.  But I did collect all of my local area travel books and a couple of "coffee table photography" books and placed those on a book case right by the guest room.  So they have something of interest to look at if they choose, but could also learn from any of my personal books if they want. 

Edited to add: Groan, newbie mistake of not checking the dates on the post I was replying to.  Sorry for bumping up a 2 year old thread!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I am rather confused by your post as it says on your profile that you are no longer listing?

Are you listing on another platform.

Personally I would not have books about the holocaust in spaces my guests share (whether they are Arabic or not is pretty irrelevant).

If you want to provide books for your guests books about your area, cookery books, travel books and maybe some New York non-fiction authors.