Should I say something?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Should I say something?

This guest booked  months ago for a group. We have been in constant contact, they confirmed they were traveling multiple times. They’re scheduled to arrive on 21 August. Today she is telling me that she wants to look for a cheaper house and will I give her a refund. I told her my standard cancellation policy would apply. I’m trying to decide if I should preempt her trying to cancel with me through extenuating circumstances and then using a voucher for cheaper place. If she pulls that one on me, I will fight it tooth and nail. We have it clearly documented in Airbnb messaging. Question is, should I say anything to her now? Or she might not even know about extenuating circumstances and I will be telling her? Or when she goes to cancel she will see that button right then and there? I’m thinking perhaps I should say: in case you were considering canceling through extenuating circumstances, it’s been documented here that that is not is the case and your attestation will be fraud. I encourage you not to do it as I would fight it? I would definitely be asking for a negative review if I say that.   I just don’t know what the best course of action is

16 Replies 16
Natalie294
Level 6
California, United States

All you need to say is that you follow the “strict” cancellation policy outlined by Airbnb, which was clearly stated on your listing at the time she made the booking. I wouldn’t over complicate it now and bring EC into it or threaten to fight when you don’t know how she’ll react at this point.

if she comes back with hostility you can reevaluate, but all you need to do right now is refer back to your existing cancellation policy and don’t get heated or emotional about it. She might just be genuinely asking, and using clear and concise language could be all it takes to get her to understand!

@Natalie294  you might be right. That’s the difference between me seeing the worst in people and you seeing the best 🙂

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Inna22 As they say "Pick your battles".....I'd give them a refund and move on personally. Perhaps you'll get others to book. I just opt for less stress and what you write sounds like an open highway to stress and then some either way UNless you just say yes and refund. That's my take. good luck

@Clara116  this is a huge reservation for me. I can’t even afford to refund her. I will never fill those dates. It’s a big property, big groups are not traveling now. She booked in October and has been in regular contact with me these last few months, this is completely out of left field.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Inna22  I just reread your post.....you are ready for a fight with "fight it tooth and nail" ... cause most guests these days are using Ext. Cir for anything to get what they want........so I withdraw my comment as its probably not useful for you. Peace, Clara

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Inna22   You really do seem to attract more than your fair share of jerks, which is weird, because your place is upscale in downtown Chicago, so you should be attracting the best type of guests. 

The thing is, that Airbnb could give her an EC refund even with everything documented on the messages, so, maybe its best to say as little as possible, not giving any ideas, and perhaps she will trip herself up with Airbnb, and just stick to saying her refund will be under the policy.  

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Inna22,

I am not social media savvy, but is there a way that I can follow on here or on another ABB board?  You have some of the best thought provoking situations and questions.

Do you think the guest is trying to get you to lower you price, or she is genuinely in a different financial position, and is giving you as much notice as she possible can provide?  Is the booking for the 5 bedroom that you're currently listing, or one of your listings that you recently put on snooze?  If it's an inactive listing, your chances for re-booking are very slim, and it may be worthwhile to try to work out a price (or shorter stay, but same nightly rate) that is favorable for the both of your considering the circumstance.  If it's the active listing, what is the likelihood that you would get a replacement booking within the next 8 days?  If there's a good chance to get a reservation, then I suggest that you ask her to cancel as soon as, and you are willing to refund her money if the place gets booked. 

Otherwise, I say stick with your cancellation policy, and do not bring up anything about extenuating circumstances unless she mentions it.  In that case, I'd point out that guests receive vouchers, and they must be used on one booking.   If the guest is truly in a financial tight spot, she isn't going to take a voucher that has to be used all at once on a less expensive space, and pay more, but potentially get less.

@Debra300  I am so flattered you want to follow me! Thank you!!

i think ideally she would like a discount. This is a group of 16 girls splitting it so it comes to very little per person but a huge loss for me. 
she originally booked one of the properties I have now snoozed but I upgraded her to the five bedroom at no extra charge and kept it blocked for them. Judging by previous last minute cancellations, I will get it book at about 30 percent of the usual rate.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Inna22  

You could write to Your guest:

• Dear Guest, I would very much have liked to direct You throught the airbnb cancellation maze. Unfortenately You stated that You are looking for a „cheaper house“. As the airbnb support people will read through our messages all avenues for a more favourable cancellation option are now closed. And I am sorry to tell You that I just cannot afford to refund You out of my own pocket.

Depending on their reaction You could then call this guest and try to come to an agreement, maybe work out a discount. You don't want to completely lose this reservation, right?

Inna, I have told You this before: You should not publish a thread like this in the „hosting“ section. Everyone can read this, including Your guest. You should publish threads like these in the not public „host circle“ section.

@Ute42  you are right, I keep forgetting. This page comes up automatically on my phone so I just post without thinking. 

Stuart177
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

why dont you offer her a nominal sum discount ?  Lets say the booking $1000 why not offer her say $85 discount that way you are both happy she feels like she got a deal and you get your booking which is better than a cancellation and you avoid any fighting ? And if its a big group the sum will be good so knocking a little of would be good. If its 16 girls figure out how much per girl then drop it a little ?

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Stuart177,

I don't recommend supporting this type of behavior from guests, because it will spread.

Ask Airbnb to flag her. If she's trying to find a "cheaper house" on Airbnb that's against the rules. She won't get a refund outside of your cancellation policy.

I had someone try that on me and I wished them well but said they were still on the hook for the agreed upon amount under the cancellation policy. Ended up staying with me after all.

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Inna22 

Your message thread is evidence to the purpose of cancellation. If a cancellation goes ahead under an attested cancellation excuse then your guest will have committed fraud and it will have been aided by AirBnb. 

Before it gets to that point, inform AirBnb about your concern and state that your message will be used as evidence that they have been informed of this guests intention and that if the cancellation goes ahead you will be taking legal action to recoup your losses.

You, and hosts worldwide are being made victim of this attest policy and your example sadly,  illustrates this perfectly.

”Getting a cheaper deal” is not part of the EC policy, and, should your guest obtain travel vouchers, she would need to use the whole amount in one transaction. So ultimately, her savings would amount to nothing. You might inform her of such.