Should I warn guests about smoke in air?

Stephanie1960
Level 1
Pateros, WA

Should I warn guests about smoke in air?

I'm still very new to hosting (only on my 2nd guests). Our area is having fires about an hour or so away from my place. So far, the worst of the smoke has been in the morning, and it clears out by afternoon. I am completely booked the rest of the month, but the smoke situation is stressing me out a bit and making me wonder what my responsibilities as a host are - do I let guests know that we are experiencing times of heavy smoke? Nearly all of my guests are from the other side of the state, so I've got to think they know about the fires on this side, with it being in the local and state news outlets, but being new and needing to get those first good reviews is obviously important.

Just to clarify, my Airbnb is in no way in danger of the fires, and there are places as close as 20 minutes away to escape the smoke until it clears. I also have an air purifier for guests.

2 Replies 2

@Stephanie1960   One of the best ways to inspire trust and confidence in your guests before their stay is to offer candid, personalized info about any local circumstances that might affect their visit. If the home is not in an evacuation zone, there's no need to frame it as a warning. Instead, I suggest approaching it as a tip to help guests plan their outdoor activities, in the same way you might talk about weather patterns to someone from out of town.

It's deeply distressing that this is what we've come to, but extreme air pollution from massive wildfires isn't an anomaly anymore thanks to climate change; it's just another part of the weather now.

Thank you, this is completely reasonable advice.