Should guest with zero verifications and "Nicknames" instead of real names be allowed to book?

Rita58
Level 6
Burbank, CA

Should guest with zero verifications and "Nicknames" instead of real names be allowed to book?

I always thought you had to have verification in order to book or even request to book a room.  And, that a guest has to use their name.  Apparently not.  A nickname or in my case where a guest with a  a single letter as a name is enough to request a stay.  

I totally understand trust is huge to be a sucessful host and guest but I feel there have to be some safety precautions  as well.

16 Replies 16
Rita58
Level 6
Burbank, CA

thats not so good, not sure how they can do that.

Amber227
Level 2
Portland, OR

I recently had a “verified” guest instant book with a fake name. I found out after dealing with 2 separate Airbnb community support reps that anyone, including hosts, can get “verified” and then change their name and/or photo. 

For example, I had a guest damage some furniture and when I went back to read all of the reviews on their profile I saw that the name of the guest was different in each review! It was a group of people sharing a single VERIFIED Airbnb profile. This is ludicrous! What’s worse is that Airbnb knows and does nothing about it.

Get it together Airbnb! You have ONE job! To keep me safe while I make you money.