Should guest with zero verifications and "Nicknames" instead of real names be allowed to book?

Rita58
Level 6
Burbank, CA

Should guest with zero verifications and "Nicknames" instead of real names be allowed to book?

I always thought you had to have verification in order to book or even request to book a room.  And, that a guest has to use their name.  Apparently not.  A nickname or in my case where a guest with a  a single letter as a name is enough to request a stay.  

I totally understand trust is huge to be a sucessful host and guest but I feel there have to be some safety precautions  as well.

16 Replies 16
Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

@Rita58 You can certainly change your settings to only allow verified users to create a booking, however, it's not on by default. It's really up to you.

Thank you! I didnt know I could do that but I will definately be changing it.  I spoke with a rep and this option was not mentioned.  

BTW, I checked my settings and it is set to where the guest needs to be verified so maybe is a glitch in the website.  

@Rita58 Remember that this setting only impacts reservation requests. They can still make inquiries, even if not verified. However, if they want to actually request a booking, they will have to go through the verification.

The guest did request a booking.  I called airbnb again after I realized I had set it to the verification setting and they dont know how that happened.  Its Ok, I totally understand I dont have to accept everyone that request to book but my point is I feel some verification should be mandatory to request to book.  

Vicki20
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

I have that default setting, and yet people with no picture, no profile, no reviews seem to be able to inquire and even request.  And that's why I refuse to do instant book.  I've only had two horrible guests in almost 4 years, but still .... 

No instant book for me!  I have been really lucky and most guest have been  great but I do go by instinct sometimes.  I have set up rules for myself that sometimes I break depending on back and forth interaction with potential guest.  

Andrée2
Level 10
Portland, OR

Yes, even with those verifications requested, you can still get cartoon faces and an initial for a profile. My understanding is that there are still many profiles out there that were set up when Airbnb's regulations were far looser. If they haven't booked anything for a while, they haven't been notified to update their profile. Even newbies can set up with an initial and fool the site into believing that a cartoon face is still a face but you can simply ask for a picture of their actual face in their completed profile for security purposes.

If they have a profile with no verifications and they wish to book with a host that requires verification, I believe that they are sent an email that says something like, "Your host requires verification. Please follow this link to update your information."

I still feel it should be a bit tighter.  I was told that this person is brand spanking new to Airbnb.  

I just feel that verification is important and should be inforce by Airbnb.  Not so much about the photos but a real name would be nice.  I am opening my home after all.  

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

New guests often have no idea at all. I once had someone book under her performance name in the profile. It was something ludicrous but I felt embarrassed to ask if it was her real name, as some people are named the oddest things. But I did, and told her I would not accept the booking unless I had her real details. She hadn't understood (people join so very many things online) and immediately changed to her real details. All good.

You even find hosts with a picture of a house, or a flower, instead of their good selves.

Fiona2
Level 7
Pasadena, CA

It is completely up to you @Rita58 as to whether or not they are Verified. It is a setting chosen by the Host. I only accept Verified users but even so anybody can make an Inquiry, they have to be Verified to book with me, even if I have pre-approved them.

Don't accept anyone unless you are comfortable with them. I don't care about photos, etc. but the communication needs to be good. Many of my guests are brand new to Airbnb. If they are using a nicknames or a letter or anything ask questions to satisfy yourself. If they aren't forthcoming then "decline." I have guests show id when they arrive.

That is great advise and I think asking for I.D. is a even better idea!

BTW, I checked my settings and it is set to where the guest needs to be verified so maybe is a glitch in the website.  

Kyriaki4
Level 2
Thessaloniki, Greece

I had a confirmed reservation and later found out that the guest had on the profile their Facebook nickname, a fake profile picture and had verified the ID of her father! The father was actually the guest. She also paid with the fathers credit card!

how can you have a different name and picture than the ID?