Should this review be removed? I feel discrimentated. What do you guy's think?

Matt711
Level 4
Las Vegas, NV

Should this review be removed? I feel discrimentated. What do you guy's think?

So this guest broke every rule of my house during her stay. She moved a friend in without permission, fought with her unwanted guest and caused extensive damages to the room. Then when it cam check-out time. Refused to leave or pay, then agreed to pay for the day and stayed all day and used the ut and long showers. On the way out, stole a few things, then overtly refused to pay for her stay that she agreed via airbnb messaging . I took pictures filed the claim. No compensation, even though I required a deposit.

The whole review is a lie (except arguably her opinions but even those are intentionally inaccurate). I was able to prove through the guests own words that she was lying about specific claims that she made and airbnb acknowledged that she was a liar. The guest even went as far as to claim that I am a drug dealer. I told the staff I can absolutely prove with my phone records and eyewitnesses, that I am not a drug dealer and to please remove that because it puts me in danger. But still they refused to remove it saying that enough of her review was her honest opinion. How they would know after she was caught lying I can't say but I can say that every single person I talked to was female and they just seemed to automatically side with the guest. In-fact, they put my account on suspension and gave a permanent warning on my account. But did nothing to compensate me or any action towards the offender that I could perceive, or even remove the falsified review per their own policy.

Though she has 0 reviews, she was given credibility and was believed, whereas myself (superhost with 435 reviews) was assumed a liar and punished for what can be proven to be untrue and the staff was very rude. All this during Covid. Now the drug dealer thing is a huge problem because I am put in danger on multiple levels as you can imagine. The only requests I am getting are from criminals and drug addicts. I've already been stolen from by a drug addicted guest and the next one brought in a hooker and kept us up most the night. I'm to the point to where I have closed 3 of 4 rooms and now working on closing out the last and deactivating my account. Not that Airbnb gives a crap. In-fact, I feel like the staff that I dealt with via messaging was using the Covid as an excuse to get back at men.

"Matt's place is awkwardly prepared in the inside. The living room doesn't feel like a comfortable place to sit or be in, the kitchen is empty; he had almost no furniture and the house was freezing most of the time. It was incredibly dirty in the entire house, especially the kitchen and the bathroom; people would pee on the floor and he wouldn't clean it up until I would have to ask. Kitchen is coated in grease as well as the floors. It's not quiet in the house after 10pm at all even though he says it is. He is always moving around all night and disruptive. Matt seemed kind at the start and then he just kept so much to himself and made you feel so in the way that you just felt bad being there. I had a horrible bed and had bruised ribs from sleeping on the mattress. I ended up having to get a massage and pay a huge amount to just fix my back and was sleeping on the floor the last two weeks. When I asked him for help he didn't help and found simple solutions that were lazy and was a very lazy host. When the virus hit and my plans got cancelled, I found out at 2am I had to move the next day instead of going to Miami and I had to go to a different part of town so wouldn't be needing to extend with Matt. Previous to this he had said he was willing to try and be flexible and gave the impression he knew it was a difficult time. I woke up to him at my door and he was nice offering us to stay longer but once I explained my situation and that I had to go to the other side of town for work, he then got incredibly scary and started screaming at me while I was in bed and yelling he was going to charge me for another full nights stay which was incredibly unfair. It was literally a few hours extra and I had already paid a full day I wasn't here when I first came because my flight had been delayed arriving. Considering I was already sleeping on the floor and the grossness of the place, I really didn't think he would even consider coming at me and especially after I was so kind to him and he knew how difficult my situation was. I have stayed at many airbnb's but this was unbelievable. I said I was happy to pay a few hours late check out fee of course and he just would not stop screaming. I felt so unsafe around him and I don't know if that's because of his drugs or the fact he's a dealer and it was messing with his head but I wouldnt' recommend anyone staying here who wants to be somewhere safe, clean or with a host who is kind. I travel the world and this was the most awkward horrible and dirty stay of my life. Then he tried to keep my laptop which I had accidently left amidst him kicking me out so fast and I had to press him for it. There was zero integrity and I would never ever say stay here again."

Here is prof of her lies in her message to me via airbnb:

"Hello Matt I forgot the mask is in there and will return it at 12pm tomorrow and pick up Suzie’s computer. Go ahead and charge me for the extra day. I will accept once I pick up the computer. (Refused to pay and airbnb refused to compensate me for anything)

She left it under the blanket I know where it is. I will be there at 12 and don’t worry I didn’t touch the mask (One of the items she stole), or put it on so u can resell it or whatever you want. If there is anything else I left please let me know thanks and see u tomorrow."

What do you think? Am I right in feeling discriminated? I even filed a discrimination complaint and they said they'd get back with me. The female case worker did not get back at all.

78 Replies 78

I was told that enough of her review was accurate enough to let it all slide in my case.

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Matt711 , the whole thing is a bit off the charts crazy, It does seem like your case for having that removed is solid especially in light of @Helen350 's investigation showing a trend of loonyness on the part of the GIK (Guest in question).  Folks have given some good advice so far, my question is have you spoken to them or only texted them?  I find that human to human discussions can be far more effective than texting or email.   Its worth trying although you wont have a trail to show others, unless your willing to pay for a lawyer, it probably wont go anywhere without Airbnbs approval.   

One more thing, I'm not seeing this situation as gender related or specific in nature and I'm not sure why talking to a Female agent should be an issue, never seemed to be when Ive spoken with them in the past.  They were friendly, courteous and seemed to listen intently while providing  assistance in most instances I've contacted them. There is no "Contact a Male Airbnb Representative"  Button in the app so your probably stuck talking with women, If they get a sense your unhappy that they arent men, it may not go so well for you.  I wish you great luck resolving this, stay well, JR

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Matt711  As others have noted, the fact that she blindsided a second host with another rambling, negative review where she paints herself as a victim, even though this guy had no idea she was unhappy and gave her a good review,  would seem to help your case because now you have a pattern of her behavior.  

What?? Crazy. How did you find that out? I'd like to read her next crazy rambling..

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Matt711  

1. Go to your profile.

2. Scroll down to Christy's review of you & click on her photo.

3. You will then get Christy's profile page. You'll  see her 1 review, from Najim.

4. Click Najim's photo. - You will then see Najim's profile page.

5. Scroll down Najim's page - not far - till you see Christy's review of him from March 2020.

Top tip - You can do this with all your guests! Not only can you see what old hosts said about them, but you can look to see what the guest said about the host, & if it's bad think twice about the booking!

The good thing is, savvy hosts can now see Christy's crazy review of Najim, & know what she's like..... If only you'd left a review, Matt, they could have then clicked your photo to see your profile & what she ranted about you....

True I should have. I didn't think after the violence and refusing to leave and refusing to pay that they wouldn't have an account. I never expected that they would be favored over me in-spite of their breaking of just about every rule. And aside from retaliation, I figured I had a better chance of having mine removed if i didn't review her. Because almost everything she said was true of herself. So then it becomes a he said she said.

Just because it makes me feel better I'm going to break this review down and comment on every aspect so if you're bored, read on.

Matt's place is awkwardly prepared in the inside. The living room doesn't feel like a comfortable place to sit or be in (Then why did you and your girlfriend sit in it on the couch with your wine and laptop having such a good time?), the kitchen is empty (ooook I don't know what you consider empty but it has everything a kitchen can have including about 7 different places to sit and a dining table which is why you spent every night working in it all night). he had almost no furniture (Couch, lazyboy, coffee table, TV,  more chairs than I know, and even a Credenza, what do you want?) and the house was freezing most of the time. No one else seemed to notice and the heat was on. However in that far part of the kitchen where you set up shop is hard to heat up evenly with the rooms upstairs. But being a generous host I would have been more than happy to supply you with a space heater had you just asked). It was incredibly dirty in the entire house, especially the kitchen and the bathroom; people would pee on the floor and he wouldn't clean it up until I would have to ask. (I wouldn't get 5 stars so many times in a row if it was that bad however, other than catching your dishes every couple of days you did nothing to help the entire time. And you left the room not only destroyed in several places but completely trashed. As far as the pee, that was a guest who only strayed a few days and the moment you mentioned the issue, I addressed it.) Kitchen is coated in grease as well as the floors. (BS!) It's not quiet in the house after 10pm at all even though he says it is. He is always moving around all night and disruptive. (The only person that could possibly be heard throughout the night until 5 AM was you. As you were the only one up working your night job teaching English at full volume. We could hear you laughing and chatting at the top of your lungs throughout the night but we put up with it without complaint.) Matt seemed kind at the start and then he just kept so much to himself and made you feel so in the way that you just felt bad being there. (I talked with you whenever I saw you and your girlfriend was aloof and barely appeared to allow anyone a chance to say anything). I had a horrible bed and had bruised ribs from sleeping on the mattress. I ended up having to get a massage and pay a huge amount to just fix my back and was sleeping on the floor the last two weeks. (There was a bed in there and you didn't like it's size and so you picked out a different one from another room and I put it in there for you. I have extra bed cushions and would flip the bed out again if you asked. But anyway it's just another lie because when you were sleeping in hours after your check out and I knocked gently on the door your GF opened the door and you were in the bed sleeping like a baby. Your GF was sleeping on the extra mattress I brought up even though you booked for one person but snuck her in full time without my consent). When I asked him for help he didn't help and found simple solutions that were lazy and was a very lazy host. (This particular lie is especially stinging considering i went way out of my way. Note the flipping of the bed and bringing an extra mattress and so much more) When the virus hit and my plans got cancelled, I found out at 2am I had to move the next day instead of going to Miami and I had to go to a different part of town so wouldn't be needing to extend with Matt. (You told me this AFTER checkout. I had a feeling the few nights preceding your checkout that you were searching for another place in spite of the fact that you had me reserve the room for you. Honestly that didn't really bother me because yes, plans change and i can get another guest).  Previous to this he had said he was willing to try and be flexible and gave the impression he knew it was a difficult time. (I never said I was flexible about staying longer without paying especially without even discussing the matter with me first.) I woke up to him at my door and he was nice offering us to stay longer (That's my nice way of saying "it's after checkout, yet you are still here...sleeping) but once I explained my situation and that I had to go to the other side of town for work, he then got incredibly scary and started screaming at me while I was in bed (didn't you say you had to sleep on the floor for the last 2 weeks? How many provable lies are you going to put in one review?) and yelling he was going to charge me for another full nights stay which was incredibly unfair. (Firstly, I don't scream at guests as I just don't need to. Now I was talking through a rubber respirator and had to speak up because you couldn't hear what I was saying but a roommate was standing right next me and heard and saw every word and can attest that I never yelled and I never became at all threatening.) It was literally a few hours extra and I had already paid a full day I wasn't here when I first came because my flight had been delayed arriving. (It wasn't a just a few hours. It was most of the day and I'm sorry about your flight but that doesn't automatically mean you get an extra day for cooking, taking long showers and conducting your business which is exactly what you did). Considering I was already sleeping on the floor (Sorry remember you said you were in the bed when I knocked on the door. oops.) and the grossness of the place, I really didn't think he would even consider coming at me (Gently knocking on your door and waiting several minutes for you to wake up and respond is coming at you?) and especially after I was so kind to him (when were you ever kind? I dont seem to recall those moments) and he knew how difficult my situation was. (No I don't know the details of your situation but I do know that you were the only one that still had a job in the house and yet you feel you should be able to stay for free) I have stayed at many airbnb's (with 0 reviews I kind of doubt that) but this was unbelievable. I said I was happy to pay a few hours late check out fee of course and he just would not stop screaming (OK let's just translate screaming to discussing with you that I dont do late fees. I rent by the day. But your idea of a late fee is going to be like 10 dollars and that doesn't cut it anyway). I felt so unsafe around him (you felt so unsafe and that's why you asked me to reserve the room for an extra month and specifically said it's because you feel safe here?) and I don't know if that's because of his drugs (Yes I do smoke Cannabis which I made clear in the ad and your GF smokes too and consumed it here at the house.) or the fact he's a dealer (OK now you may as well call me Santa Claus, what evidence for such a defamating statement do you have?) and it was messing with his head but I wouldn't' recommend anyone staying here who wants to be somewhere safe, clean or with a host who is kind. (May as well throw in some more dirty words just for safe measure. I mean really how dare I cross you by politely asking you to pay for your stay?) I travel the world and this was the most awkward horrible and dirty stay of my life (Yes we all really believe a word you at this point.) Then he tried to keep my laptop (here is a copied transcript of what you said in airbnb chat with me "

Hello Matt I forgot the mask is in there and will return it at 12pm (she's saying she forgot she took something from me. However she kept the coat hangers) tomorrow and pick up Suzie’s computer. Go ahead and charge me for the extra day. I will accept once I pick up the computer. (Refused to pay for it. Never saw one dime of her deposit)

She left it under the blanket I know where it is. I will be there at 12 and don’t worry I didn’t touch the mask or put it on so u can resell it or whatever you want. If there is anything else I left please let me know thanks and see u tomorrow.
(Me)
"Okay let's make it tomorrow afternoon that sounds like a plan. 12 is fine"

(another guest was there when you arrived and can attest that I was polite and had the laptop there for you on the coffee table. I even threw in a friendly goodbye because I had no idea you were going to refuse to pay and write such a nasty review full of false allegations.)

which I had accidentally left amidst him kicking me out so fast and I had to press him for it.

(Where was the part where you had to press me in that transcript?)

which I had accidently left amidst him kicking me out so fast and I had to press him for it.

(what? you helped yourself to the amenities of my house all day after your check out time without having to pay one thin penny. What do you mean kicking you out so fast?? I literally let you walk on me all day.) There was zero integrity and I would never ever say stay here again. (I have plenty of integrity and that is why I wouldn't allow you back anyway of course.)

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Matt711 

1) Your guest's review ADMITS she overstayed.... Did you tell Airbnb & get paid the overstay fee - which is DOUBLE the daily rate?  See paragraph 8:2 in 'Terms of Service' https://www.airbnb.co.us/terms#noneu 

2) Your response/explanation  sounds reasonable.... Maybe send it to  customer services - after getting them to give you a supervisor?

3) @Stephanie  - Are you having any luck with getting this review removed? 

This one has a particular bite to it.. "I asked him for help he didn't help and found simple solutions that were lazy and was a very lazy host." She wanted to switch beds for a bigger one when she first arrived so I switched the bed out for a full size with the frame etc. Then she said it was too hard and wanted it switched back yet again but said she would be happy with just an extra mattress to put on top which I did. I mean if someone is going to lie at least pick something with a grain of truth to it and not something that is the complete opposite of true.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Matt711 ,

Thanks for reaching out and so sorry to hear you are having trouble both with the guest and their review. I've been in touch with the CS team and they say that your case is still open and will continue to work with you moving forward.

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Waw Stephanie. Thanks for your good words. the fact that review case is still open is news to me but I'm glad it is. As far as continuing to work with me, so far no one has "worked with me" at all in my opinion on this matter. One thing is for certain the review remains public and everyone who views it agrees it constitutes defamation and the damages continue to mound. I mean my honest thought is, what's the hold up? There should be no question. What mitigating factors are there to poor over? The review is slander, and has proven false statements as admitted by staff yet was left there anyway. If I were the person on this, I would remove it already I mean look how it has snowballed. If everyone non-staff here agrees with me, then that suggests I have a pretty strong case. Thanks again and good luck. 

So far no one has contacted me to work with me. So not sure what is expected of me.

Matt711
Level 4
Las Vegas, NV

Great thanks!

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Matt711 

The review of this woman ist still online, airbnb did nothing about it so far.

Matt, did airbnb contact You to talk about the issue?

Only if I contact them first and then after a long investigation I was told it's perfectly fair and they're not going to help me at all.