Should this review be removed? I feel discrimentated. What do you guy's think?

Matt711
Level 4
Las Vegas, NV

Should this review be removed? I feel discrimentated. What do you guy's think?

So this guest broke every rule of my house during her stay. She moved a friend in without permission, fought with her unwanted guest and caused extensive damages to the room. Then when it cam check-out time. Refused to leave or pay, then agreed to pay for the day and stayed all day and used the ut and long showers. On the way out, stole a few things, then overtly refused to pay for her stay that she agreed via airbnb messaging . I took pictures filed the claim. No compensation, even though I required a deposit.

The whole review is a lie (except arguably her opinions but even those are intentionally inaccurate). I was able to prove through the guests own words that she was lying about specific claims that she made and airbnb acknowledged that she was a liar. The guest even went as far as to claim that I am a drug dealer. I told the staff I can absolutely prove with my phone records and eyewitnesses, that I am not a drug dealer and to please remove that because it puts me in danger. But still they refused to remove it saying that enough of her review was her honest opinion. How they would know after she was caught lying I can't say but I can say that every single person I talked to was female and they just seemed to automatically side with the guest. In-fact, they put my account on suspension and gave a permanent warning on my account. But did nothing to compensate me or any action towards the offender that I could perceive, or even remove the falsified review per their own policy.

Though she has 0 reviews, she was given credibility and was believed, whereas myself (superhost with 435 reviews) was assumed a liar and punished for what can be proven to be untrue and the staff was very rude. All this during Covid. Now the drug dealer thing is a huge problem because I am put in danger on multiple levels as you can imagine. The only requests I am getting are from criminals and drug addicts. I've already been stolen from by a drug addicted guest and the next one brought in a hooker and kept us up most the night. I'm to the point to where I have closed 3 of 4 rooms and now working on closing out the last and deactivating my account. Not that Airbnb gives a crap. In-fact, I feel like the staff that I dealt with via messaging was using the Covid as an excuse to get back at men.

"Matt's place is awkwardly prepared in the inside. The living room doesn't feel like a comfortable place to sit or be in, the kitchen is empty; he had almost no furniture and the house was freezing most of the time. It was incredibly dirty in the entire house, especially the kitchen and the bathroom; people would pee on the floor and he wouldn't clean it up until I would have to ask. Kitchen is coated in grease as well as the floors. It's not quiet in the house after 10pm at all even though he says it is. He is always moving around all night and disruptive. Matt seemed kind at the start and then he just kept so much to himself and made you feel so in the way that you just felt bad being there. I had a horrible bed and had bruised ribs from sleeping on the mattress. I ended up having to get a massage and pay a huge amount to just fix my back and was sleeping on the floor the last two weeks. When I asked him for help he didn't help and found simple solutions that were lazy and was a very lazy host. When the virus hit and my plans got cancelled, I found out at 2am I had to move the next day instead of going to Miami and I had to go to a different part of town so wouldn't be needing to extend with Matt. Previous to this he had said he was willing to try and be flexible and gave the impression he knew it was a difficult time. I woke up to him at my door and he was nice offering us to stay longer but once I explained my situation and that I had to go to the other side of town for work, he then got incredibly scary and started screaming at me while I was in bed and yelling he was going to charge me for another full nights stay which was incredibly unfair. It was literally a few hours extra and I had already paid a full day I wasn't here when I first came because my flight had been delayed arriving. Considering I was already sleeping on the floor and the grossness of the place, I really didn't think he would even consider coming at me and especially after I was so kind to him and he knew how difficult my situation was. I have stayed at many airbnb's but this was unbelievable. I said I was happy to pay a few hours late check out fee of course and he just would not stop screaming. I felt so unsafe around him and I don't know if that's because of his drugs or the fact he's a dealer and it was messing with his head but I wouldnt' recommend anyone staying here who wants to be somewhere safe, clean or with a host who is kind. I travel the world and this was the most awkward horrible and dirty stay of my life. Then he tried to keep my laptop which I had accidently left amidst him kicking me out so fast and I had to press him for it. There was zero integrity and I would never ever say stay here again."

Here is prof of her lies in her message to me via airbnb:

"Hello Matt I forgot the mask is in there and will return it at 12pm tomorrow and pick up Suzie’s computer. Go ahead and charge me for the extra day. I will accept once I pick up the computer. (Refused to pay and airbnb refused to compensate me for anything)

She left it under the blanket I know where it is. I will be there at 12 and don’t worry I didn’t touch the mask (One of the items she stole), or put it on so u can resell it or whatever you want. If there is anything else I left please let me know thanks and see u tomorrow."

What do you think? Am I right in feeling discriminated? I even filed a discrimination complaint and they said they'd get back with me. The female case worker did not get back at all.

78 Replies 78
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

I'd just like to remind you that discrimination of any kind is not tolerated both here on the CC and the Airbnb platform overall. Please review it here: Nondiscrimination Policy.

Continued posting in a discriminatory way may lead to more permanent action from the Community management team.

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Mary312
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

A guest left a review stating the host (me) walk in with a black guy (my husband) who had sagging pants and smells like cigarette smoke and stated she did not feel safe. I fought with Airbnb stating it was  racist & discriminatory and not appropriate to review my husband because of how he was dressed. They told me this was her honest opinion how she felt about my place so ther review stand. You cannot get more racist of review than that so tell me how airbnb doesn't not tolerate discrimination. 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Terrible @Mary312 . Now if YOU'D said a guest was black, with sagging pants so you did not feel safe, you'd have been suspended at best & thrown off the platform at worst!

Hi Helen, you're 100% right. The sad part is he doesnt even smoke cigarettes.. We were outside talking to one of our guest that was smoking and it carried on to us. His pants does show the top part of his underpants (waistband)but its not intentional and its far from sagging & its only due to his body size. 

Interesting. Can you paste the review?

@Matt711 

You must tag her like this: @Mary312  .

If  You don't do it she doesn't know that You have adressed her.

Matt711
Level 4
Las Vegas, NV

Well it's kinda for anyone I guess

Kristina382
Level 2
BG, Serbia

Hi to all, I had several situations with bad guests. They either do not respect house rules or they make damage or they do not want to pay for extra services like airport transfers. Last time I had issue with a guest, airbnb was involved, the top case manager contact me and told me Kristina its my advice for you not go to your place without police. The thing was I had guest from China that booked for 2 persons bring 4 and did not wanted to pay and when we canceled he did not wanted to leave my place. He was also lying the people will go but they have stayed. Even airbnb was involved in this situation guest left me 1 star review, reported me for video recording on site even its written on my house rules that building has video surveillance my listing was blocked for booking 3 days. He wrote I throw their stuff out the building hall yelling at them they have COVID 19 and ofcourse it was not true. What Airbnb did they left 1 star review. Situation before that guest had airport transfer, they ignored my request even I drive them, airbnb contacted them they have charged them but I got bad review second after it. Airbnb must be more involved about this stuff because its blows our ratings for nothing. I thing that the best solutions is that when there is conflict Airbnb should not allow for the guest to leave a 1 star review. I also had situation when guy booked place for his friends, they did not want to leave, they left after  2 hour after check out time. Guy left me 3 star review just because he was afraid Ill leave bad review for him, I even has his messages confirming this and Airbnb left review. 

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

I don't see any "discrimination" in her review. How do you feel discriminated against by her?  That is a ridiculous review and airbnb should remove it simply due to her saying you're a drug dealer. If the place was so dirty, why would she sleep on the floor which would also be dirty right? And bruised ribs from sleeping on a hard mattress? That's just silly. 

Donald28 Discriminated by airbnb as the entire staff I dealt with were all female and automatically sided with the female reviewer. Seems like a 90% female staff are female so that alone speaks volumes. Whether or not that will hold water will be up to my attorney, but the Libel is provable. But I'm told I have to make multiple attempts to have it removed. So far, 3 so not sure if that is enough as I will try just one more time before I seek legal action. I guess they feel I dont really matter in a Covid world. Well, we'll see about that soon enough.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Matt711 Whilst I sympathize 100% with the injustice of a) the lies told about you,  and b) the refusal of Airbnb to remove the review, I DO NOT sympathize with your stubborn insistence, that you as a man, are being 'discriminated' against, because most of the CS staff you spoke to were female. That's just ridiculous! You SHOULD DROP THIS! 

- If you got angry with CS because they were female, they may have chosen not to listen to you cos YOU were aggressive.  (I tried in my previous posts to put this to you subtly, but now I'm spelling it out!)

- It's really not logical that CS would side with an obvious liar because she was female, like them, nor is it logical that they would be against you, just because you are male. I guess you meet occasional women like that, but ALL of them??? 

- Give CS another try, 3 times is not many (Yes, once SHOULD be enough!) - and BE POLITE, & understanding of them trying to carry out their instructions. Be as nice as you can be in trying to talk them round to how you see things!

@Stephanie - did you have any input with CS?

@Helen350 Fair enough. I'm just relaying the feeling that I got and was responding to the previous question. I don't think it's genuine to hide how I felt. It's easy to say "oh that just isn't the case" but how do you categorically know for sure? I'm not saying I do.

Now on the matter of aggression, no your speculation is incorrect. I never get aggressive when requesting help. Do you really think I would have made it this far if I did? Come on now, that's just logic. However, in the open forum of expression, I get to be more transparent about the thoughts and emotions that I am experiencing which is why I appreciate yours and have taken into account everything you have taken the time to express.

@Helen350   I am puzzled by @Matt711  persistence along the line that speaking with 3 female CS reps means all the reps or at least a majority of female reps discriminate against men.  My puzzlement is that he is receiving support that the review should probably be removed but I have not seen any support that the lack of removal is related to discrimination.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Nothing further than what was mentioned here @Helen350  https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Should-this-review-be-removed-I-feel-discrimentated-What...

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Matt711  The "feeling" you got? That they refused to remove the review because the reps you were dealing with were female, as was the guest and you're male? Please stop, just stop, with your misogynist attitude here.

Hosts, be they male or female, have almost no luck ever getting a review removed, regardless as to the sex of the host, the CS rep or the guest.

Please stop, just stop, with your misogynist attitude here. The moderator already warned you about this here in this thread. Or did you think she was talking to someone else?