Should this review be removed? I feel discrimentated. What do you guy's think?

Matt711
Level 4
Las Vegas, NV

Should this review be removed? I feel discrimentated. What do you guy's think?

So this guest broke every rule of my house during her stay. She moved a friend in without permission, fought with her unwanted guest and caused extensive damages to the room. Then when it cam check-out time. Refused to leave or pay, then agreed to pay for the day and stayed all day and used the ut and long showers. On the way out, stole a few things, then overtly refused to pay for her stay that she agreed via airbnb messaging . I took pictures filed the claim. No compensation, even though I required a deposit.

The whole review is a lie (except arguably her opinions but even those are intentionally inaccurate). I was able to prove through the guests own words that she was lying about specific claims that she made and airbnb acknowledged that she was a liar. The guest even went as far as to claim that I am a drug dealer. I told the staff I can absolutely prove with my phone records and eyewitnesses, that I am not a drug dealer and to please remove that because it puts me in danger. But still they refused to remove it saying that enough of her review was her honest opinion. How they would know after she was caught lying I can't say but I can say that every single person I talked to was female and they just seemed to automatically side with the guest. In-fact, they put my account on suspension and gave a permanent warning on my account. But did nothing to compensate me or any action towards the offender that I could perceive, or even remove the falsified review per their own policy.

Though she has 0 reviews, she was given credibility and was believed, whereas myself (superhost with 435 reviews) was assumed a liar and punished for what can be proven to be untrue and the staff was very rude. All this during Covid. Now the drug dealer thing is a huge problem because I am put in danger on multiple levels as you can imagine. The only requests I am getting are from criminals and drug addicts. I've already been stolen from by a drug addicted guest and the next one brought in a hooker and kept us up most the night. I'm to the point to where I have closed 3 of 4 rooms and now working on closing out the last and deactivating my account. Not that Airbnb gives a crap. In-fact, I feel like the staff that I dealt with via messaging was using the Covid as an excuse to get back at men.

"Matt's place is awkwardly prepared in the inside. The living room doesn't feel like a comfortable place to sit or be in, the kitchen is empty; he had almost no furniture and the house was freezing most of the time. It was incredibly dirty in the entire house, especially the kitchen and the bathroom; people would pee on the floor and he wouldn't clean it up until I would have to ask. Kitchen is coated in grease as well as the floors. It's not quiet in the house after 10pm at all even though he says it is. He is always moving around all night and disruptive. Matt seemed kind at the start and then he just kept so much to himself and made you feel so in the way that you just felt bad being there. I had a horrible bed and had bruised ribs from sleeping on the mattress. I ended up having to get a massage and pay a huge amount to just fix my back and was sleeping on the floor the last two weeks. When I asked him for help he didn't help and found simple solutions that were lazy and was a very lazy host. When the virus hit and my plans got cancelled, I found out at 2am I had to move the next day instead of going to Miami and I had to go to a different part of town so wouldn't be needing to extend with Matt. Previous to this he had said he was willing to try and be flexible and gave the impression he knew it was a difficult time. I woke up to him at my door and he was nice offering us to stay longer but once I explained my situation and that I had to go to the other side of town for work, he then got incredibly scary and started screaming at me while I was in bed and yelling he was going to charge me for another full nights stay which was incredibly unfair. It was literally a few hours extra and I had already paid a full day I wasn't here when I first came because my flight had been delayed arriving. Considering I was already sleeping on the floor and the grossness of the place, I really didn't think he would even consider coming at me and especially after I was so kind to him and he knew how difficult my situation was. I have stayed at many airbnb's but this was unbelievable. I said I was happy to pay a few hours late check out fee of course and he just would not stop screaming. I felt so unsafe around him and I don't know if that's because of his drugs or the fact he's a dealer and it was messing with his head but I wouldnt' recommend anyone staying here who wants to be somewhere safe, clean or with a host who is kind. I travel the world and this was the most awkward horrible and dirty stay of my life. Then he tried to keep my laptop which I had accidently left amidst him kicking me out so fast and I had to press him for it. There was zero integrity and I would never ever say stay here again."

Here is prof of her lies in her message to me via airbnb:

"Hello Matt I forgot the mask is in there and will return it at 12pm tomorrow and pick up Suzie’s computer. Go ahead and charge me for the extra day. I will accept once I pick up the computer. (Refused to pay and airbnb refused to compensate me for anything)

She left it under the blanket I know where it is. I will be there at 12 and don’t worry I didn’t touch the mask (One of the items she stole), or put it on so u can resell it or whatever you want. If there is anything else I left please let me know thanks and see u tomorrow."

What do you think? Am I right in feeling discriminated? I even filed a discrimination complaint and they said they'd get back with me. The female case worker did not get back at all.

78 Replies 78
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

I would think that Airbnb would remove this review based solely on the fact that she accused you of being a drug dealer.  That is slander.  She also brought money into the review when she said you were going to charge her a full night - that is a no-no in a review.  Go to the Airbnb review rules and try to find the verbiage that talks about slander and about money threats, etc.  Then call Airbnb back and point them to those rules, and then specifically to the sentences in which the guest violated them.  I know you already called them, but try again with hopefully another rep.  Speak coolly and calmly, and keep your request simple, concise and direct. 

Pat. Thanks for the quick advice. I actually called several times and got a whole new case-worker involved and she refused to remove it saying the review is honest enough. Can you believe it???

so I got no response at all about this in spite of all my efforts. I'm really sick and tired of being treated like I just don't matter at all.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Matt711 That's outrageous! Please keep contacting CS & ask to have it removed. Ask to speak to a supervisor. Tell them that calling you a drug user/dealer is SLANDER! Yes, opinion is opinion, but I thought it was against CONTENT POLICY to be defamatory .... ? Certainly HOSTS have reported that their reviews of guests were taken down for  mentioning drugs, or saying the guest was a user. (Some have said you, can't say 'Drug user' but can say  'I found drug paraphernalia under the bed after he left.') The point is, your nasty guest does NOT KNOW for certain you are a drug user/dealer, assuming you are not, so this is a LIE, even if the other nonsense stands cos she has ridiculous standards, & it's genuinely her opinion. Tho with the Airbnb famous double standards, hosts can't describe someone as a user/dealer, even with evidence.

You've been defamed & slandered. Keep asking for a supervisor! Be super polite, & understanding of the fact that CS staff are super busy right now, & remind them kindly & gently of the facts they need to know in order to help you. And politely remind them you're a Superhost with 435 reviews, which is a strong indication that this one is lies.

- Best of luck!

Helen, lovin the feedback. It feels good to know that I am not the only one that agrees this is ridiculous. I actually have been in contact with airbnb several times concerning her and they would never help. I explained in detail how she broke the rules and the last person I talked to admitted what she said was untrue but enough of her honest opinion was there.

Yes. Well they know the fact that I am a super-host and how many reviews I have and the fact that she had only one but it gave me no consideration. And the drug dealer part wasn't the only false claim. She also claimed that I tried to keep her laptop whereas she said in the messaging that she accidentally left it there. I politely said she can pick it up. Another guest was here when she arrived and saw that I was super friendly and professional and had the laptop ready and even said a friendly goodbye. It was right after that that she left that nasty review. I didn't really see why, as she came out ahead. Never had to pay for her extra day, never had to pay for the damages. I wasn't even upset. Staying later is a common occurrence. Not worth getting upset over so she did kind of blind-side me with her review. It was all because she was asked to pay if she was going to stay all day after checkout. That's her big qualm. I found out by the next guest's review that she stole the hangers of course as well.

Mika8
Level 10
Zürich, Switzerland

@Matt711... and as usual ... on the guests profile is no review from you!

Thank you for protecting other hosts from such guests.

I totally feel your angst! I could kick myself for not doing so but my reasoning was firstly that she might come back and cause more damage in retaliation.  Secondly, I figured if I'm going to ask to have a review removed then maybe I shouldn't leave one. I was wrong in that thinking. Always review in a  case like this.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Matt711  

Unbelievable.

You are a superhost with 473 reviews and there comes a one 4-word review guest who leaves a review full of lies and accusations and they don't delete it. The lenght of this review is an offence in itself.

472 guest before her didn't find out You are dealing with drugs but she does. Interesting. If we as hosts call a guest a drug dealer our listing get's delisted an all our outstanding reservations cancelled.

This only shows what a crap-company airbnb sometimes is. Yes @Lizzie , You've read it right, crap company I said. Go ahead and delete it but it doesn't change the fact that this is crappy all over.

What a shame

Thank you for taking the time! Glad to see I'm not the only one that feels this way.

@Matt711

Without doubt, the review is libelous and defamatory, and should be removed. However, the legal route can be lengthy, cumbersome and stressful, so best to try and exhaust all other avenues first. 

If it were me, I'd write a strongly worded but polite complaint to Airbnb, outlining all the reasons why the review contravenes not only Airbnb's own Content Policy but also defamation laws, and informing them of my full intent to pursue legal action and take my story to the media, should the review not be removed with immediate effect.

There's some good information (and language) contained in the link below, relative to the libel and defamation laws in your state. Include as much of it as you need to strengthen your complaint to Airbnb and make it sound firm and authoritative.

Nevada laws: Filing a lawsuit for "defamation" (libel or slander)
https://www.shouselaw.com/nevada/personal-injury/defamation

Also, you could include the following clause from the Content Policy, on the grounds that the review is libelous and defamatory.

The following content is never allowed on Airbnb:
Content that is illegal or that violates another person’s or entity’s rights, including intellectual property rights

One last thing though - you mention several times that the CX agents you interacted with were all female, and said, "I feel like the staff that I dealt with via messaging was using the Covid as an excuse to get back at men"

Veering dangerously close to defamatory territory there yourself.. perhaps best to drop that angle, if you're hoping for a positive outcome. 

Vincent245
Level 2
The Hague, The Netherlands

matt, reviews must be true...so if what the guest says is true, try reporting your self to airbnb, (use report host button) and ask the experts to remove you from platform and report you to the authorites (get arrested for dealing)....based on the fact that airbnb guests always tell the truth!!!!!

i am sure it will be taken down soon.

The only way in heck they are going to take it down is by making a fuss in here until they are forced to acknowledged their lack of concern or even legal action. I AM considering suing Christy and Airbnb for public slander that actually caused real harm and may continue to and for discrimination on airbnbs part. I don't see how it isn't.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I don't know how many listings you have on Air BNB but I can only see the one which has all 5 star reviews.  Are you planning to remove the listing with the negative review from Air BNB? I agree with the others that accusing you of being a drug dealer should not be allowed on the review and the review should be removed.  Be persistent about your request and perhaps use Twitter to create publicity for your claim.