Should this review be removed? I feel discrimentated. What do you guy's think?

Matt711
Level 4
Las Vegas, NV

Should this review be removed? I feel discrimentated. What do you guy's think?

So this guest broke every rule of my house during her stay. She moved a friend in without permission, fought with her unwanted guest and caused extensive damages to the room. Then when it cam check-out time. Refused to leave or pay, then agreed to pay for the day and stayed all day and used the ut and long showers. On the way out, stole a few things, then overtly refused to pay for her stay that she agreed via airbnb messaging . I took pictures filed the claim. No compensation, even though I required a deposit.

The whole review is a lie (except arguably her opinions but even those are intentionally inaccurate). I was able to prove through the guests own words that she was lying about specific claims that she made and airbnb acknowledged that she was a liar. The guest even went as far as to claim that I am a drug dealer. I told the staff I can absolutely prove with my phone records and eyewitnesses, that I am not a drug dealer and to please remove that because it puts me in danger. But still they refused to remove it saying that enough of her review was her honest opinion. How they would know after she was caught lying I can't say but I can say that every single person I talked to was female and they just seemed to automatically side with the guest. In-fact, they put my account on suspension and gave a permanent warning on my account. But did nothing to compensate me or any action towards the offender that I could perceive, or even remove the falsified review per their own policy.

Though she has 0 reviews, she was given credibility and was believed, whereas myself (superhost with 435 reviews) was assumed a liar and punished for what can be proven to be untrue and the staff was very rude. All this during Covid. Now the drug dealer thing is a huge problem because I am put in danger on multiple levels as you can imagine. The only requests I am getting are from criminals and drug addicts. I've already been stolen from by a drug addicted guest and the next one brought in a hooker and kept us up most the night. I'm to the point to where I have closed 3 of 4 rooms and now working on closing out the last and deactivating my account. Not that Airbnb gives a crap. In-fact, I feel like the staff that I dealt with via messaging was using the Covid as an excuse to get back at men.

"Matt's place is awkwardly prepared in the inside. The living room doesn't feel like a comfortable place to sit or be in, the kitchen is empty; he had almost no furniture and the house was freezing most of the time. It was incredibly dirty in the entire house, especially the kitchen and the bathroom; people would pee on the floor and he wouldn't clean it up until I would have to ask. Kitchen is coated in grease as well as the floors. It's not quiet in the house after 10pm at all even though he says it is. He is always moving around all night and disruptive. Matt seemed kind at the start and then he just kept so much to himself and made you feel so in the way that you just felt bad being there. I had a horrible bed and had bruised ribs from sleeping on the mattress. I ended up having to get a massage and pay a huge amount to just fix my back and was sleeping on the floor the last two weeks. When I asked him for help he didn't help and found simple solutions that were lazy and was a very lazy host. When the virus hit and my plans got cancelled, I found out at 2am I had to move the next day instead of going to Miami and I had to go to a different part of town so wouldn't be needing to extend with Matt. Previous to this he had said he was willing to try and be flexible and gave the impression he knew it was a difficult time. I woke up to him at my door and he was nice offering us to stay longer but once I explained my situation and that I had to go to the other side of town for work, he then got incredibly scary and started screaming at me while I was in bed and yelling he was going to charge me for another full nights stay which was incredibly unfair. It was literally a few hours extra and I had already paid a full day I wasn't here when I first came because my flight had been delayed arriving. Considering I was already sleeping on the floor and the grossness of the place, I really didn't think he would even consider coming at me and especially after I was so kind to him and he knew how difficult my situation was. I have stayed at many airbnb's but this was unbelievable. I said I was happy to pay a few hours late check out fee of course and he just would not stop screaming. I felt so unsafe around him and I don't know if that's because of his drugs or the fact he's a dealer and it was messing with his head but I wouldnt' recommend anyone staying here who wants to be somewhere safe, clean or with a host who is kind. I travel the world and this was the most awkward horrible and dirty stay of my life. Then he tried to keep my laptop which I had accidently left amidst him kicking me out so fast and I had to press him for it. There was zero integrity and I would never ever say stay here again."

Here is prof of her lies in her message to me via airbnb:

"Hello Matt I forgot the mask is in there and will return it at 12pm tomorrow and pick up Suzie’s computer. Go ahead and charge me for the extra day. I will accept once I pick up the computer. (Refused to pay and airbnb refused to compensate me for anything)

She left it under the blanket I know where it is. I will be there at 12 and don’t worry I didn’t touch the mask (One of the items she stole), or put it on so u can resell it or whatever you want. If there is anything else I left please let me know thanks and see u tomorrow."

What do you think? Am I right in feeling discriminated? I even filed a discrimination complaint and they said they'd get back with me. The female case worker did not get back at all.

78 Replies 78

@Helen350  I agree, she does seem totally unhinged, two places, two super negative, long, rambling reviews.  She is absolutely the guest from hell type, and she must also be totally passive/aggressive as well since Najim didn't seem to see her hateful review coming.  

Screenshot_2020-04-29 Vacation Rentals, Homes, Experiences Places - Airbnb.png

I would love to add a response but for the past few years, no matter what computer or device I am using and several browsers, there is no place to respond to reviews that I see. Am I missing something? I am in "edit profile" btw

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Matt711  To respond to a review, go to dashboard, then Performance > Reviews. (The page which shows the stars you got in all categories.)

The button to respond is below the review. Sadly you only have 30 days to respond to a review, so the prompt has probably gone from Christy's review.

If you do respond in the 30 days, your reply then shows on YOUR profile below  the review. (So word it in a way that makes YOU look good!)

- The good thing is, future guests who read Christy's review of you, will see she looks deranged, & that hers is your ONLY bad review!

Well if they would stop moving things around it would help. I was always told by cust service and online it's in a different spot. So of course way after it's too late someone tells me the right new spot. Im sure it will be moved again soon.

Helen350
Level 10

@Matt711  Me again, having finally gathered my thoughts & found what I was looking for!

- Airbnb's review policy states in Section3 "we recommend avoiding" -  bullet point 2: "...name calling and assumptions about a person's character or personality." I would argue that calling you a drug dealer violates this! = Say this to CS!

https://www.airbnb.co.us/help/article/2673/airbnbs-review-policy  

Well the reps that helped me know the policy better than any of us, or should. I explained with enough evidence that she was in blatant violation, and like I said, the rep admitted openly that it was true but refused to remove it because enough of it was somehow valid. That was the second case worker, the first just ignored me and put my account on suspension and a warning against my account. Pretty sexist aye?

Helen350
Level 10

@Matt711 DON'T accuse the CS staff of sexism! (A others here have said!) It will only alienate them! SEXISM IS NOT THE ISSUE, FALSE  ACCUSATIONS OF DRUG DEALING (& other things) ARE THE ISSUE!

- You need to work WITH them! They are young, badly trained, and probably badly paid..... Sometimes you get a good one who knows their stuff, sometimes you get a beginner who's learning...

You said "The reps know the policy better than any of us." - No, they don't! As many here will tell you. WE have to teach them, firmly, gently but politely!

- Be polite! Try again, ask for a supervisor, stick to the point about accusations of drug dealing being against Airbnb's OWN POLICIES and against the law of libel/slander. DON'T get angry, or they'll terminate the discussion.... Say you understand they're struggling to get what you are saying, but you want to explain.... I've found CS reps to be kind & helpful to me if you treat them how you would like to be treated.... 

See note from admin Stephanie, below. She's put in a word for you.

As far as sexism goes, I wouldn't make the claim if I didn't feel it was true. Why should I hide such a thing? Plus the staff that i dealt with have proven to be pre-alienated anyway. If only you saw how "Orphelia" dealt with me. Now as far as getting angry and making demands, I learned long ago that you never do that with cust service. I am always professional and I know that snapping at staff will get me nowhere so I don't do it. And I don't have the desire to do that either. I always maintain my calm "radio friendly" voice. Furthermore, I'm not really even angry. I just feel beat down by a single group of people who have disregarded me over a member of their demographic when anyone can clearly see that I have been abused by this guest. Also factor in that they caused extensive damage and stole things and stayed an extra day and I wasn't compensated one penny for any of it. Even though I had their word saying she would at least pay for the extra day, and then flat refused. Now that should afford me some understanding but apparently not. Then factor in that I'm a super-host and you think the rules of reviews would apply to me but apparently not. Sorry, I feel discriminated. Of course! Who in their right mind wouldn't? 

@Matt711  I agree that the review should be removed, but no, the CS reps often don't know policy very well. And how in the world did you make the leap from poor CS service to sexist? You believing and saying that is what is sexist. The responses you get from CS have nothing whatsoever to do with gender issues.

Helen350
Level 10

@Sarah977 If you read the OP, it's TITLE, & Matt's other comments, you'll see he has thought the problem is sexism ever since CS (female) staff appeared to side with the female guest.....

- I think you're the 4th to tell him that's not the issue......

I say sexism because they received all the benefit of the doubt and I was blanketly disregarded. All by one demographic in favor of the other. It's not just that the entire staff I dealt with (except yesterday a man got back with me and assured me that the matter was "being looked into"). But this is long after my assertion of sexism. I say this because it's not just that one sex are all working in tandem against a member of the opposite sex. When you factor in the differences between the credibility of me with 450+ reviews and her with 0 at the time. Factor in the damages, factor in that I was refused compensation for any of it AND having my account suspended without even informing me, putting a warning on my account even though I said I could prove through eyewitnesses and phone records that it is a false claim. I had to bring in a different customer service rep to even get a response from Ophelia and the new rep had to take over but just told me the review was just fine even though she lied and good luck.  Now, i ask you this, what if you were treated that way by some male guests and they were favored over you by a mostly male staff that basically disregarded you with the exception of a few canned "we care but were not going to help you" responses, would you feel discriminated? I bet you would!

I already have 2 times but it fell on def ears. they feel like I should have to put up with the abuse.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I am still trying to find the section that surely must be there that states -  

"Any and all reviews that are incoherent and trashy will be immediately removed, because they do nothing positive for the Airbnb brand"

I know is there somewhere, or should be.

@Fred13  I can't find the section that says "Lies are considered to be a true reflection of the guest's experience and do not violate Airbnb review policies" either, even though we all know that's the case. 

Well said @Sarah977 . Me either.