Shouldn't new hosts need to prove ownership?

Toni26
Level 2
Ballarat, Australia

Shouldn't new hosts need to prove ownership?

It seems rather irresponsible and possibly illegal for hosts to rent out properties they don't even own. Other rental sites require proof of ownership before they will post a new listing. I think this would fix many of the problems that have arisen with the massive increase in short stay rentals in many apartment buildings and the permanent tennants' complaints. Do the right thing Airbnb!

6 Replies 6
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Toni26 A couple of years ago, I rented a house before I own a house. Before I went to see the place that I wanted to rent, I asked the landlord if I could do airbnb and she allows me to do it and agree with it. I did not own the house back then, but I did have my landlord's permission and agreement. I also did not take anybody's housing as I lived in the house and the ABB listing was for private room in the house that was shared with me. I know there are other platforms that require a proof of ownership, but that what stopped me from hosting on those other platforms back then. I am grateful that airbnb did not force it as by hosting, it helped me a lot to meet more people and also financially.

I always thing the "taking over housing market" thing cannot be black&white. When I started hosting, I lived in a 1BR apt in New York and the listing was for the living room. So, it is in an apartment, but I shared my space and did not take anybody's housing. I cannot imagine if the rules just say blindly that everyone in apartment type building cannot do hosting. I think we need to see it case by case. Yes, there are people who are kicking out tenants in order to rent the apt out on airbnb, but there are also people like me who do abb as a home sharing.

Toni26
Level 2
Ballarat, Australia

That's great and pretty rare. If a land lord is onside well then he/she can be involved in the subletting and it keeps it all above board but I think we all know that most landlords have no idea their properties are being sub let and that they would not be happy if they did know. 

Ana1777
Level 1
Kapaau, HI

I am not happy with my home being an airbnb space for my co owner but I have to go into a legal battle with them if I want them to stop. It would be nice if airbnb would not allow it without the legal owners permission.

Géda0
Level 1
Bp, HU

I was just conned by my longterm tenant who have used my flat WITHOUT my knowledge or agreement to do airbnb. Also, he not only violated our contract, he violated the law. If it wasnt for my kind house manager, the house could have reported me for doing illegal acitivity, as the house must approve such activity and it must be reported to Authorities and pay taxes on them. I am most upset and disguted by airbnb for washing their hands!!! I am consdireing launchibg a PR battle against them. 

@Géda0 

Airbnb will rarely help the owner in these situations - ie, they typically won't take down the listing, even when the homeowner is happy to provide proof of ownership. The most they'll usually do is send the tenant an email, letting them know there's been a complaint made about them, but that's about it. 

The only thing you can do, is go through the usual legal channels to have your tenant evicted, if that's the route you choose to take. And yes, Airbnb will wash their hands of cases like yours, every time. 

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Absolutely yes - all hosts, new and existing - should have to either prove ownership, or submit proof of consent from the legal owner, before being permitted to list on Airbnb. 

Similarly, In regions with regulatory requirements, all hosts should be required to submit evidence of compliance with local laws before their accounts go live. 

Those two simple requirements would immediately eliminate the vast majority of illegal listings on the platform, eradicate the huge problem of anti-social Airbnb guest behaviour and neighbourhood disturbances in over-saturated towns and  cities around the world, and return vast swathes of housing stock to local long-term rental markets. 

However, rather than acting like any responsible, accountable or ethical company would do by imposing such basic requirements, Airbnb prefers to keep insisting that they bear absolutely no responsibility whatsoever for anything that anyone chooses to list on their platform, and continue to spend countless millions on court battles in the US and the EU, battling for the right not to have to do so.