Show Our Overall Rating To The Hundredth Percent

Martin280
Level 10
New York, NY

Show Our Overall Rating To The Hundredth Percent

Now that the Superhost Status is dictated by the overall rating I think we should see in our progress the overall rating out to the hundredth percentage point. With so many reviews mine hasn't moved in months from 4.8 but it doesn't tell me if I'm 4.81 or 4.89 and this is critical for us to react and make changes so we can maintain or achieve our superhost status. It's the same for someone trying to reach it. They should be able to be encouraged watching theirs go from 4.71 to .74 .77 .79 and know they are closing in, or be alerted if they see it going doing. The current tenth decimal point limitation is wholly inadequate now imo. 

19 Replies 19
Joan23
Level 2
Dublin, Ireland

With the new Superhost criteria, I am trying to figure out how the "overall rating" is calculated, since I have read that 80% x 5* reviews apparently is the same as 4.8% overall; and also have read that guests will no longer be able to assign an overall score : are all your stars in each category added together and Airbnb then calculates what the individual guest rating should be? or will Airbnb add up all your stars over 365 days and then use some formula to calculate the overall star rating?  What is the formula for arriving at the "overall rating" shown on my listing?

Totally confused!

@Joan23 the "Overall" rating is calculated by averaging all the star ratings given by your guests in the "Overall" category.

The only party that has ever said that 80% 5-star reviews is the same as a 4.8 star average is Airbnb.

It is not the same.

The only time 80% 5-star reviews is the same as a 4.8 star average is if all non-5-star reviews are rated 4. Otherwise, maintaining a 4.8 star average is much harder than maintaining 80% 5-star reviews.

I have not heard anyone from Airbnb saying that guests will no longer be assigning an Overall Score.

You will hear a lot of hosts suggesting alternative methods, but that is the only discussion I have heard about changing how the Overall score is assigned.

Where did you hear that the guests would no longer be assigning the "Overall" score?

Hi Matthew

Thanks for your answer.

An earlier post in this thread (J Renato in Brazil) said: "If the "Overall Experience" does not counts anymore, why Airbnb still asks to rate this item? What is the purpose of this?" - which I assumed to mean that guests will no longer be asked to assign an overall star rating to a host and that the ratings will be assigned by Airbnb adding up the various star ratings for each category.

Joan

Matthew's answer is good, also, Airbnb didn't say the 80% rating is the same as 4.8 they said that the superhosts currently at the 80% level (previous to the change) were on average 4.85 in overall rating. Meaning they were exceeding the new criteria just by coincidence. For me it seems simple, the 80% rating was based on the non overall review scores and this new one is just based on the singular Overall rating. This means that to get a 4.8 average out of a 5 point scale, you multiply by 20 and you get 100, meaning you need 96% of your reviews to have a 5 star Overall rating with them. I think it's a MUCH harder bar to hit, unfairly high to be honest. 

And it's not over 365 days, it's reviewed every quarter so you have to have that score for the previous quarter and then you get reviewed again. I think this is fair so you can improve and not be punished for bad past performance a long time ago. 

Hi Martin

I know the previous 5 star superhost target was based on the previous 3 months, but am sure I read in the Airbnb update that the new rating system was based on 365 days. In any event, on my "progress" dashboard the graph showing percentage of 5, 4, 3 and 2 stars is definitely based on 365 days or longer. I actually don't know why Airbhb cant provide an option to view ratings for different timelines (as with the income data). It would be much more transparent.

J.