Size of beds in Italy

Size of beds in Italy

Looking to book in Italy next spring. I see a lot of "double beds" listed, but they look bigger in the pictures, so I'm wondering....in Italy, when they say "double bed" does it literally mean a double bed, like the ones we have in the U.S., or are they larger over there? Do they have larger beds like king sizes in Italy? I know things run smaller over in Europe. Thanks!

4 Replies 4

@Amy2012   In Europe, a standard double measures 140 x 200 cm (54" x 78") . If your reference point is American sizes, that's about halfway between a "Full" and a "Queen." This is usually the size you'll find in a short-term rental here. The major mattress retailers here also offer wider variations (160 cm and 180 cm, similar to Queen and King) but if you specifically prefer the widest size, you're extremely unlikely to find it in a residential property, and Airbnb doesn't have a useful search filter for it.  International chain hotels are the only places that routinely cater to the American concept of bed sizing.

Thank you for explaining! 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Angela1056

in Italy, Can you assist @Amy2012 ?

Maybe you can book Angela's place along your travels and share stories 🙂

Keep us posted.

Happy travels and adventures

Angela1056
Level 10
Linarolo, Italy

@Amy2012 @Helen427 Double beds can have different sizes in Italy but are generally between 160-180 cm wide and 200 cm long (63-70 inches wide and 78-79 inches long). Often these “double beds” ( also called ‘letto matrimoniale’ in Italian) are two beds joined together that can have two single mattresses or one double mattress. 94680C81-EEDD-4D08-9CE6-82EFE9F3D3EA.jpeg

Two of our double beds, 70x79 inchesC7B7382A-AF6E-4B34-A317-CA624A34F87C.jpeg

But as @Anonymous says, you can also find smaller double beds (54x78 inches), depends on the listing.