Sleeping on sofa in shared area?

Sleeping on sofa in shared area?

We got home last night to find one of the guests sleeping on the sofa (snoring even) in the shared living room. We used to have mention in the rules of no sleeping on the sofa but it's been such a long time since this happened that we removed it thinking it was common sense and wouldn't happen again. It was only 8pm and we had to be quiet in our own home as to not wake the guest. I suppose we have to put this in the rules again. What do y'all do when this happens? Do you have a house rule against it?

22 Replies 22

@Soleine0 wrote:

When I explained the situation to Airbnb, I was told in a very condescending tone that since it's a shared area, they have access to it, so they can sit, sleep, do whatever they want unless I specify otherwise ! 

I don't think this is true if you don't have a sleeping area in a common room notated in your listing [shows as a bed in the room.] But, it doesn't surprise me that a CS person would grasp at the lowest bit of logic they could find to avoid confrontation.

Normally in the Pirate Republic of Pendeen we would have shaved one of his eyebrows off and used a sharpie to draw on a huge gentleman's moustache, then deny all knowledge of it in the morning, citing "bigger boys did it".

I offer that in the absence of a sane plan.

I'd tell him his brother did it, sit back and enjoy.

On a more serious note, my guests came in the other night and caught me flat out asleep on the sofa, probably drooling, with Sony Christmas Film channel on.  We are not even half way through october.

We didn't speak of it the next day.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Oh @Kevin1322 the shame of being caught with the Sony Christmas Film channel on...however will you live it down 🙂

@Helen3 wrote:

Oh @Kevin1322 the shame of being caught with the Sony Christmas Film channel on...however will you live it down 🙂

They might ask for a refund for being subjected to sappy storylines.

at least I wasn't wearing an elf-themed-onesie …. that time 😉

Oh, but @Kevin1322, that would make such a great profile photo!

You haven't seen my elf onesie 😉

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kirsten122  Yes, for sure if a host has found that guests aren't using common courtesy about something that seems like it should be obvious, it bears mentioning as a House Rule. I was just saying that the explanation and details regarding the rule could be elaborated on later, so it's not cluttering up the important stuff you want them to read.

But I do think that too many house rules, as opposed to just letting guests know when they arrive how you like things done, whether it be not leaving personal gear in common spaces, or taking their shoes off at the door, doesn't really serve much purpose, since you can't claim any money for a guest breaking a house rule, and if you boot them out over it, they get refunded the days they didn't stay, anyway. Whether a guest ignored something that was listed as a house rule, or whether they ignored a simple request delivered verbally to please not wear street shoes in the house, reference to disrespect can be mentioned in a review.

Guests assuming that they can use the couch in your family living room as a sleeping spot for one of their party, instead of booking a place with enough beds for all, certainly bears warding off as a House Rule.