Small things matter!

MicheleandLouw0
Level 10
Maun, Botswana

Small things matter!

Dear fellow hosts. I would like to talk about small or minor things. Whenever I stay over I always pay attention to two things which in my mind tells me if a place is kept clean.

Maybe silly to others but I have an obsession with light switches! I always check to see it these are kept clean. May it be a beside lamp or other lights switches. And if it is not clean I wipe it clean because I do not want to touch a dirty light switch. (Same goes for door handles!)

The other thing I always check out is the back  of the bathroom door. How often has it happened when I sit down that I see how filthy the back of the door is. Some cleaners only clean the door on the outside and never close the door while inside and see how dirty it is.

Needless to I am meticulous about these two things in my own listing. Now I am curious to learn from others what small or minor things matter to them?

39 Replies 39

@MicheleandLouw0

I totally know what you mean!!! For me, it's under the bed/sofa, and personally, I would never consider a place with "carpets" as clean.

Underside of glass tables, inside draw of bedside tables, behind the headboard, under the rugs, under sofa. Maybe these are a bit too pernickety but I make sure I always clean them on my unit. If an item can be wiped down, I don't see why not. No reason for that inside bathroom door to be dirty.

@Angela323now I am going to look under the cofee table!

@Angela323,

Under the couches, behind the headboard, under the bed.. that's the reason I bought a "Neato Robotics" vacuum. I turn it on when I go in to clean and by the time I finish the bath and kitchen, it's done and I can mop the floor. I have a full-sized hanging mirror on back of bathroom door. I remove the mirror and windex the bathroom door. Seems excessive, but it's painted w/gloss paint and can handle it. Then I re-hang the mirror.

ps: I get "Craft Paper" and line the dresser drawers. New paper for each guest. May seem small...costs about .10/guest ... but it seems to tell people I care about their clothing...and the cleanliness of the dresser.

Lyndsey2
Level 10
Stonington, CT

Dust on the lampshades! And dust that shows the cleaner was too lazy to move something and just dusted around it (behind the bed, around chair legs, under the TV, etc).

@Lyndsey2or dust inside the glass light covers and fittings! I have in unscrew mine and wash them out. But id do it!

closet shelves, top of shower curtain rod, top of towel rack (the shelf-style kind)

I don't get grossed out so much as I wipe these items down before putting things on them.

Susie5
Level 10
Boston, MA

Swiffer is your best buddy for getting the dust from unusual places!  quick and easy, and no matter how much I vacuum, the swiffer always picks up more dust.  Goes easily under sofas etc, too!

Evelyn86
Level 3
New York, NY

I like clean windows and when you open them, the sills have to be clean. Also that my screens have no holes in them. Dusty fixtures and fan blades, even dirty light bulbs can bug me. It's like staying at a hotel, I like everything spit spot. I'm a newbie, but hope attention to details never go away. Hi, from new york!

@Evelyn86 Okay, this might sound silly, but how do you fix a hole in a screen?

"Screen Mend", they sell at walmart, bed bath and beyond, etc., if you are good at diy. But I have local window shops that will rescreen mine.

Thanks @Evelyn86! Great tip!

When I have a tear in a screen and no time to go out to get a fix, i use black thread and "sew it" shut. Then I replace the screen when I get a chance. At least it shows I cared...

Oh yes we see plenty of dirty light bulbs here in Africa. With dead insects and dust inside 😞