Smart Door locks

Matthew147
Level 3
Chicago, IL

Smart Door locks

Hi Everyone - 

We're closing on our first Airbnb rental next week and going to be updating the property, so I wanted to ask a couple of questions about the smart home features - specifically locks.  

I've been researching alot of the smart home locks and these look like they're going to be awesome as we'll be managing our property from afar (rental is in FL and we live in Chicago).  Some of the ones that I'm considering:

1. August  - wondering if we would need the keypad and door lock as well.
  2. Schlage Connect + Wink Hub - have some friends that use this on their rentals here in Chicago
  3. Kwikset Kevo - This is probably the bottom of the list

I'm concerned with some of them that require a smartphone app (of course they have a backup key) as some of our renters may not be techno-savvy.  Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated!

Thanks!

100 Replies 100
Hassan125
Level 1
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

I have nt come across a lock  that works yet fo holiday homes in Dubai

browse http://keysplease.ae
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

William1440
Level 1
United States

Here talking about smart door locks as I am using August Smart Lock Pro +

Yale Security‎ is also a great lock. This product has saved me so much time and hassle. I purchased this for our Airbnb in our in-law suite. Users can use their Apple watch/smartphone via the Yale app or the keypad to unlock their door.  

Anneke-And-Jim0
Level 3
Peekskill, NY

Hi there! Welcome to the Airbnb world with lots of highs and lows.

First of all: I would not use a Smart lock as there are too many travelers who are not that tech-savvy. We use Schlage Keypad Deadbolts at our properties and find that 99% of the travelers have no problems.

Secondly, you absolutely have to have outstanding cleaners and a handyman or the average Airbnb customer will not be happy. People complain about the smallest speck of dust, dirty bbq, tiny spot on a towel, small stain on a pillowcase, etc.

Even with outstanding helpers, we still have to put eyes on our properties at least every 3-4 weeks.

Good luck!

Jim and Anneke

In order to provide convinient maintanence on your key on the main door, you might want to consider installing smart door lock. It give both hosts and guests to access to the air bnb very easy by just changing password of smart door lock. For more information how to install this smart door lock, you can visit website https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDqnlFx9X8k&t=1s

Thanks.

Sharon683
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

I have the schlage and it work great. What ever you decide ti purchase make sure it has the key pad with the a key access.   If you do not change the battery in time you will not be able to enter. Make sure you have the key access. 

Kimberly607
Level 2
New Berlin, WI

We installed a ring doorbell and then when we went to install a door lock, realized our wifi was not strong enough and would not work. We contacted a company that helped us get our wifi up to speed for door locks and also boost our signal for guests, while protecting all of our wifi devices from being hacked. We installed the Schlage Encode and it works great! 

This is the company that helped us:

https://www.lumoswifi.com/friends/hospitality/

When considering smart locks for your Airbnb rental, it's essential to prioritize both security and user-friendliness. The Schlage Connect + Wink Hub and August smart locks are solid options. The keypad feature can be helpful for guests who may not be tech-savvy or don't have smartphones. It's a good idea to have a backup key option for all smart locks to accommodate various guest preferences. Ultimately, the choice should align with your specific needs and the level of remote management you require for your property.

For a vacation rental property, consider the following smart door locks:

August: It offers good features, including remote management. The keypad can be useful for guests without smartphones.

Schlage Connect + Wink Hub: A reliable option used by others, but make sure it fits your needs for remote management.

Kwikset Kevo: While convenient, it might be less preferred due to compatibility and features compared to the others.

For non-tech-savvy guests, having a keypad option or a traditional key backup is a good idea. Ultimately, choose a smart door lock that aligns with your property management needs and provides ease of use for both you and your guests.

This site also provide door locks:  

**[Link removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Kay1745
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Hi 

We have Schlage and it’s failed twice. We will find a smart lock that has buttons instead of a smart keypad like Schlage.