Smart Pricing has completely fooled me...

Dagmar-and-Klaus0
Level 1
West Kelowna, Canada

Smart Pricing has completely fooled me...

I had smart pricing turned on to see how it goes. I must say it is VERY smart, because it managed to betray me badly.

For me it looked like I was pre-approving a guest for three nights at $170 per night. I have written confirmation that I pre-approved at that rate. I later found out that the guest was receiving my pre-approval at a rate of $126 per night (which is the absolutely minimum rate that I have set in general). Only AFTER all was booked and confirmed, I could not believe my eyes when I saw the approved rate.

I asked the guest to send me the confirmation email, and YES, it showed the lowest possible price right from the beginning of the reservation process when I was told I was approving at the actual rate of $170...

This clearly a betrayal that AirBnB is initiating through their rediculous smart pricing system. DO NOT TRUST AirBnB with handling your rates! They do NOT have YOUR best interest in mind!!! Set all rates yourself and check thoroughly before pre-approving anything!

Now my question to the community: Because AirBnB is hiding somewhere without any possibility of approaching them, what would you do to bring this serious matter to their attention? Do you think they might even care?

I am accepting the lower rate from my guests because it is not the guests fault. I will not get envolved in a legal battle with AirBnB (I cannot afford that) - but because I don't trust them I may have to remove my listing with them. I am far better off with booking.com!

4 Replies 4
Alexandra224
Level 6
Merida, Mexico

it's funny to me because i had second thoughts about this too, one someone makes an inquiry i notice the price.. and if perse, they book 2 days later and the price is a little bit up.. they still book with the same price of when they did the inquiry... it shouldnt be the price of the DAY they are doing the booking?.

No, they get the price that you pre-approved. But this has nothing to do with my problem above...

@Dagmar-and-Klaus0

Firstly, I should say I hope this does not happen again of course - and it certainly sounds sneaky indeed (and have never heard of it before). If at all possible (if you haven't given up in disgust and turned the smart pricing off!) - take a picture of the screen when it tells you the price and booking request - and then use that to support or back up what happens next.

It may have been a glitch - or a problem that has been worked out - but in any case you did the only correct thing (to honor the price accepted by the guest) and, hopefully it won't happen again. -And maybe you will rethink your minimum acceptable price to something you can be happier about.

Best Wishes.

Rachel,

of course I have turned smart pricing off! I will not be fooled again.

Fool me once - shame on you. Fool me twice - shame on me.