Smart lock recommendations in 2019?

James35
Level 2
Hove, United Kingdom

Smart lock recommendations in 2019?

Does anyone have a smart lock they can recommend?

I've found various threads on this, but it would be good to hear some up to date recommendations for 2019? 

At the moment, I have a Lockstate 6i which we've had for a little while now and (when it works at least) is great, but too often we have problems with it. Sadly, the hassle and aggravation when it doesn't work outweighs the benefits when it does and at almost £400 this is pretty disappointing.

If I can't find a good alternative soon, I might go back to using a key safe so would be interested to hear any thoughts.

Thanks,

James

15 Replies 15
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@James35I use Schlage Sense paired with a Wink hub for all my doors, including personal doors. I really like the system: the app and keypad are easy to use, and the level of security is great. Schlage makes a solid product. Installation was also easy. No complaints personally or from guests. 

Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I love my KeyWe model, can assign individual codes for duration of stay down to the hour and haven't had any problems with guests. https://thekeywe.com/product/gkw-1000a/index_eng.php

Hassan57
Level 2
Muscat, Oman

I would advice using schlage encode as its the only product that has all features like keypad, remote lock/unlock, key, and auto lock.

I like the idea of this model, too—do you know if it syncs with the Airbnb calendar to auto-generate and send codes to guests? Thanks!

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@James35 

I use a Schlage lock with a Wink hub. It allows me to lock/unlock the door remotely if needed. I can also change codes between guests and tracks all entries/exits. The Wink hub sometimes has a few "kinks" but overall it is dependable and works well. The two times I had issues, support was very helpful and easy to reach.

As a bonus, this combo was inexpensive! I bought "last year's" Schlage model for less than $150 (US) and the Wink hub was $30 (US) on Amazon. I've never replaced a deadbolt/lock before, but I installed the lock myself in about 10 minutes.

Could you please advise what's the model from last year that you paid only $150?

Thank you

@Suzanne302 wrote:

@James35 

I use a Schlage lock with a Wink hub. It allows me to lock/unlock the door remotely if needed. I can also change codes between guests and tracks all entries/exits. The Wink hub sometimes has a few "kinks" but overall it is dependable and works well. The two times I had issues, support was very helpful and easy to reach.

As a bonus, this combo was inexpensive! I bought "last year's" Schlage model for less than $150 (US) and the Wink hub was $30 (US) on Amazon. I've never replaced a deadbolt/lock before, but I installed the lock myself in about 10 minutes.

Nick30
Level 2
Liverpool, United Kingdom

Personally I prefer the option of a smart keysafe, although this is in part due to the locks on UPVC doors in the UK. I can highly recommend the Masterlock bluetooth keysafe. Guests love how easy it is to access the keysafe and temporary access codes, for which a copy are stored on the Masterlock app, make it an easy to use and safe option for your property.

Heather649
Level 2
Kamloops, Canada

Hi James 35, 

I have found the Airlocking System to meet all of our needs. For more information, if you would please Google The Airlocking System. It has been developed by a Software engineer and has a high rating on Amazon where it sells from.

Good luck!  Heather

Devin-and-Sarah0
Level 3
Calgary, Canada

We found integration with smart locks and Airbnb difficult to find. The closest was Z-Wave technology or Remotelock software. Both give you the option to host remotely through apps. 

One good knowledgable blog post was https://www.airbnbuniverse.com/smart-locks-for-airbnb where they break down Z-Wave series from Schlage, Kwikset, Yale, and August.

If anyone knows a smart lock that creates codes automatically I'd love to know. 

Devin & Sarah, Superhost and Bloggers
Graeme87
Level 2
Castle Camps, United Kingdom

@Devin-and-Sarah0 wrote:

If anyone knows a smart lock that creates codes automatically I'd love to know. 

Hi Devin and Sarah, we are launching a range of smart locks under the brand SmartLocks4Rentals early in 2020 where dynamic code generation and distribution is part of the platform. DM us at graeme@smartlocks4rentals.com and I'll share with you some details to see if it meets your needs.

regards

Graeme

Carol5205
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

I agree with Alexandra316 about Schlage. I used this brand smart locks in my apartment.   You could look over there  https://wisepick.org/best-smart-lock-for-airbnb-more-convenience-less-hassle/  I purchased lots of stuff for my house through these guys. And locks and safe, btw, I found there.

Sean95
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

August is still garbage in 2021. My guests keep getting locked out.Three days after installation, the keypad mysteriously disconnected from the system and stopped working, locking me out of my home (because I didn't have the phone on me). Tech support said "people are typing in the password too fast".... yeah okay. I can't believe this is marketed for hosts.

Peter2959
Level 1
Chandler, AZ

Yes, agreed. My august smart lock is the number one thing my guests complain about. 

I really enjoy my August Smartlock, WiFi Port, and pin code pad. I assign a new code for each guest and other than changing the batteries in the pin and door lock mechanisms, total breeze and have yet to offer any issues! Seamless. 🙂 Hope this helps. -Jessica