Smart locks: Schlage sense and remote management of a property

Tom833
Level 1
Logroño, Spain

Smart locks: Schlage sense and remote management of a property

Hi everyone (and thanks in advance to anyone who may share/help).

I'm looking to put a smart lock on a new, remotely managed property. The idea is to manage this property completely remotely (with feet on the ground in terms of a cleaner and maintenance for the inevitable tasks and emergencies).

To do this we obviously need keyless entry, and I have decided in favour of a smart lock, as opposed to a key safe.

I really like the look of the Schlage sense smart lock, as in incorporates a keypad and allows hosts to manage codes, entries etc from "anywhere in the World".

But it is this point which I'm not sure about. As far as I understand, you install the lock, as well as a hub and wifi network. Ok. Easy. But, I have a couple of questions/doubts:

1) The main worry I have is What happens if the wifi goes down at some point before guests arrive? It seems that if we hadn't already set up a code for our guests they wouldn't be able to enter. 

2) What hubs can connect to the Schlage? I understand that the smart lock connects to the hub, which in tur connects to the wireless netowrk. Is that right?

3) Would any of you experienced (remote) hosts recommend any other devices to help with the remote-operation of an airbnb?

Of course I've already seen the August smart lock, which looks great. I do however prefer the Schlage for the built-in keypad (amoung other things).

Anyway, I would really appreciate any help from anyone out there who has gone throught the same as us! Thanks in advance!!!!

Tom

8 Replies 8
Ms-D-M0
Level 2
Victoria, Australia

I like Kevo, give ekey at touch of a button and take the access away at the touch of a button. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Tom833 

I know this is not what you are asking about, but I would never advise hosting a property completely remotely without having a co-host.

Who will handle things if you have to evict noisy guests. Who will be on hand to manage situations like if the wifi goes down and your guests find themselves locked out at 3.00 a.m . Who is going to carry out spot checks on the quality of the cleaning, manage supplies, do regular checks for maintenance. Who is going to do the post guest check of the property and photo/video evidence of damage and get local quotes for repairs?

If you aren't going to be available on the ground you can't rely on just having a cleaner or handyman you need someone who can actually manage the property.

Good luck I am sure you will enjoy becoming a host.

Helen,

Thanks a lot for your input. I've been looking at technological solutions to these problems (apps for cleaning checks etc), but I know deep down you're right. Thanks a lot. I think regardless of whatever decisions I make, we'll have to make some relationships in the area.

Thanks again

Tom

Hi Tom

@Helen3 makes some very valid points in terms of having a point of contact for guests - if there's an issue you will need someone to go and deal with things. Remote hosting is do-able, but you might just want to plan a strategy in terms of how you deal with the day-to-day stuff associated with making your guests feel at home (and covering all bases in case of any emergencies)!

Think about:

1. Sourcing a reliable cleaning firm, go for a reputable company or individuals who come with references.
  2. Sourcing reliable maintenance/tradespeople who can quickly assist (e.g. if the heating fails your guest won't be impressed by having to wait for an eternity for someone to sort it out).
  3. Keyless entry. Easy self-check in and out is something that needs to be in place if you want to remote host - check out Keycafe. 
  4. Welcome Info - Put together a comprehensive welcome pack for guests (instructions on how to work the cooker,  details on where to dispose of bottles etc.) Include practical info about the property and surrounding area. This might help: https://www.airgms.com/airbnb-welcome-book/
  5. Special Touches- If you can't be there to meet and greet make sure your guest still feels welcome by leaving a few personal touches, e.g. a little gift such as local sweets or wine.

Good luck with remote hosting, I got a few tips from this: https://www.airgms.com/manage-airbnb-remotely/ might give you some ideas.

Happy Hosting. 

Kate,

Thanks so much for your input. It's along the same lines of what I had considered, but is so welcome anyway. I also, Alsothink guests need to have a special something waiting for them when they arrive. Where we're hoping to rent i'm not  sure howeasy reliable cleaners and maintenance will be, so this summer will be dedicated to finding them! 

As for Keycafe, thanks for the tip- I'll look into it!

Thanks again for your help.

Tom

Miller7
Level 2
Chapel Hill, NC

Good questions @Tom833.

There's automation software like https://rabbu.com/ that sends guests a backup code if the Wi-Fi is down at check-in. Works with the SmartThings Hub (and Schlage locks).

Really key to have for remote management so that you can see what's actually going on at your units (unlocks, door opens, temperature, Wi-Fi, etc.).

Verla1
Level 2
Payson, AZ

We have the Schlage encode. I put in the code the minute they book as it has an interval setting that you can set day and time you want it to work. Our home is in a dead zone and looses internet on a regular basis. It doesn't erase the set codes and we have used our code and entered even when the internet was down without a problem. Also you will know the internet is down as your lock shows you a gray yield sign that you aren't connected. it lets you know if you have a low battery and batteries are easy to change. it tells you when people use the code, it lets you know if door unlucked or locked. Nice for those people who leave and forget to lock. You push the lock on your phone and if open it is locked if locked it opens. It hold 100 codes.

Verla1
Level 2
Payson, AZ

I have a question for those of you that have traveled in Europe. Were you able to use your schlage encode and did you have issues with getting back to people with check in info. Our housekeeper is good about monitoring any damage and doing pictures and sending. We have a neighbor that will be there for questions problems and concerns. If you have traveled please share your input.