Smart locks using SMS, WhatsApp or Telegram

Pablo262
Level 2
Madrid, Spain

Smart locks using SMS, WhatsApp or Telegram

Hello, 

I´m new to airbnb hosting, living far away from my rental property. A smart lock seems like a great option to grant access to my place.

Unfortunately,  smart locks in Spain are not yet as common as in the US, so some of the most famous smart locks are not available here. 

However, I have found one that seems like the perfect solution for my need (and seems like a great solution for guests too). Hoomvip app (using TESA ENTR smart lock) offers remote access this way: I generate a code that guests use to send via Whatsapp, Telegram or SMS to a service that automatically unlock the door (this system sorts out opening both main building door with no instalations required, which is perfect for me, and also unlocks the apartment door with a smart lock).

The system seems like a great solution but I do have some questions. Is it acceptable to ask guests to send an SMS, Whatsapp or Telegram to get access to my place? (Once inside they could use a set of keys I´d leave there). Using cell phone would mean they need access to 3G network, which might be perfectly acceptable in my view, but potentially an issue for some guests.

Anyone who has faced this situation and want to share how it works? Any tip on other systems working well in this corner of the world is more than welcome.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best,

Pablo

6 Replies 6

@Pablo262   " Is it acceptable to ask guests to send an SMS, Whatsapp or Telegram to get access to my place?"

I don't see why not most Airports have free wi-fi. I always ask guests to text me from the airport so I know they are on their way and so far none have had a problem. But, make it clear in your listing and reiterate it when you message them.

Thanks @Ange2

So the point here is they would have to use it once they reach my place. I won’t be  physically there so they will send SMS/WhatsApp from outside my place which will automatically open the door.

For European users I don’t see the issue as there’s free roaming across most European countries. For others, it might be

Zeus4
Level 2
Granada, Spain

Hi Pablo

Did you finally use Hoomvip?

I'm planning to use it but i'm unsure about Guest's identification demanded by the police. 

How was your experience?

Thanks in advance.

Zeus 

Hi,

I ended up not using Hoomvip. I used a combination of TESA ENTR smart lock with a gateway giving access to the building main door + apartment door. Although it is a good solution, manageable from distance, I suffered multiple issues of connectivity between the lock and the gateway (it is a kind of router they installed at home).

My last solution (and what I currently have):

- safe box out of the building for the building main door

- TESA ENTR lock at the apartment door + TESA keypad out of the door, so that users can enter a pin number and door gets opened. It is not manageable from distance, but I find it more reliable solution.

I hope it helps.

BR,

Pablo

Pity you were having issues and especially why one can't remotely send access codes which can be used with the code panel. I have contacted Tesa and they confirmed this isn't possible.

How is your experience with guests unlocking without a pin?

Hi Pablo - Can you explain your 'safe box' please?  I just purchased an apartment in Porto in a shared building.  I want to manage it remotely but can't figure out how to get the building front door to guests.  Seems like you have the same situation! 

Thanks so much!

Lise & Nick