Smart pricing lower than preset minimum

Ainsley1
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

Smart pricing lower than preset minimum

I activated smart pricing for my property, and set my minimum at $110 and maximum at $175, but people have been able to book for as low as $85. Why is that happening?!

18 Replies 18
Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

Hi @Ainsley1 There seem to be lots of problems with Smart Pricing. I'd recommend you turn it off, then look at your calendar and make any price adjustments you need to make. Hope that helps - Karen

Dee34
Level 1
California, United States

The same thing happened to me and I am new at this so not sure how to fix it.  Very frustrating that there is no corporate office or human to talk to walk you through problems.

Sherri0
Level 3
Bend, OR

I have tried several different times to use the 'smart pricing' but as others have shared it does not seem so "smart."  I eventually decided that I am the smartest person when it comes to what my prices should be and I have learned to trust myself.  I have an excellent idea of how much it costs me to host someone, and how much I need to be 'paid' for my hospitality services, and I set my prices with all those things in mind. 

The other thing I do is to stay in touch with the prices other Airbnb hosts are charging in my area.  Over the last two years I have been able to raise my prices slightly without decreasing my bookings.

Hope that helps!

Sherri **

Fullerton, CA

Flo9
Level 2
Cairns City, Australia

Flo here from Cairns Australia. I signed up for the Smart Price and yes guests pay $20 leass than my maximum price.   I intend to run with this for the first 3 month of operation to do my CBA and revise accordingly.  

Scott-and-Sherryn0
Level 5
Apollo Bay, Australia

I would never use smart pricing, it' around 40 to 50% less than what we are happy to get.

It's smart pricing for Airbnb, you'll get more booking and do more work for the same amount of money, Airbnb will take more commisions for the same amount of work.

Also in the long run you are helping to drive the prices down in your area.

Sandra336
Level 1
Hong Kong

I have also just deactivated Smart pricing for all of the same reasons mentioned previously. Disappointing, as it is a great idea in theory and does save me continually monitoring and adjusting prices. I have decided to have a set price that I am comfortable to negotiate down according to seasonal demand.

Dave-And-Elizabeth0
Level 1
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

I just spoke with AirBnB Customer service

Toll Free 855 424 7262

I was advised that Smart Pricing deactivates your minimum pricing. 

Essentailly ignoring any minimum you may enter and pricing the property based solely on their alogorithm.  

It was suggested to have a very high maximum and perhpas this would fool the algorithm into providing a higher price. 

Unfortunately removing smart pricing buries your lisitng into the back pages of all lisitngs.

Crap

I just got a multi day booking for what I used to get for a single night.

Not impressed.

If what you say is true regarding deactivating your minimum price it goes against everything they tell you when you click "learn more" about smart pricing. I have a luxury villa that rents for $3450 per night in high season. Smart pricing just allowed a booking for 8 days during my peak week between Christmas and New Year for $500 per night. MY MINIMUM IS $1450!!! I am beyond upset. I even have set special pricing on these days at $3450 a night. What is the point of all these controls if they can just book for whatever the F they want! So crazy. Needless to say smart pricing is now off. 

If we don't accept the listing then we probably go to the bottom of the list - very different from what they advertise to us!

Khadija15
Level 2
Altadena, CA

I just had the same thing hapen to me. Why bother with letting us set a minimum at all then? This is very underhanded.

@Khadija15  Turn off Smart Pricing. The saying "Smart Pricing isn't very smart" is completely true. You are much better off setting your own pricing based on your competition and space offered. You just need to do a little research. 

The only thing that stops me is what another host mentioned above, that your listing will sink down to the bottom of the heap - I live in a highly saturated market in Los Angeles and although my listing is completely unique, I still want to full every weekend. I will try it and see what the effect is. Thanks Letti.

I am interested in know how you have done with smart pricing off.  It angers me to find that someone has been able to rent my place for a low unacceptable price