Smelly guest body odor

Jay235
Level 4
Kent, WA

Smelly guest body odor

I have a really smelly guest from Egypt right now. I was advised not to tell him he smells because it's cultural. I have another guest in the house. The body odor on a scale of 1 to 10 is a 10.

I am also worried that the room will smell when they leave or that the mattress would be damaged by a lingering smell. I have another guest who booked with us the same day the smelly guest leaves. We are worried the room will have a lingering stench of body odor. 

What should I do?

120 Replies 120
Rebecca160
Level 10
Albuquerque, NM

@Jay235 You are correct, you cannot say anything at this point. If a future guest arrives stinking bad, you could cancel as you feel it it a health and safety issue.

Do you have a zippered mattress cover? If so, you can just take that off and wash it. If not, might want to buy one. It also keeps out bed bugs. It might also cover up the smell.

Does he or she use body oils? If so, you might be prepared to replace linens and towels. 

Sorry. Looks like you will be doing a lot of extra cleaning and airing.

@Jay235 I have had an experience with a guest with horrendous body odor. This was when I had Instant Book on and had Smart pricing on. I find that it attracted the wrong kind of guest. 

I had to triple wash all my linens... ventilate the room for several days  (opened the windows and air it out), I had to wash all the walls and replace my blinds... The room stunk and it stuck to the walls. 

Good luck. 

NOw my listing says that guests are not allowed to use any perfume or cologne in the house due to my son's allergies. So far, I have not had the unfortunate experience of that being repeated. 

I am in the same night mare now. I had sth similar before when I rewashed and revintilated.... for days....

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Jay235  Call AirBnB and state your other guests are uncomfortable with this guest and the smell as are you. You need the guest relocated so your other guests remain happy otherwise they will be lossing more guests because of this situation. This does not bring in any cutrual issues and just states facts. 

For Superhosts (they will verify you):

North America: +1-647-945-9627 +1.888.326.5753

Oh my gosh I am having same situation right now... not sure what to do...

Jess78
Level 10
Eugene, OR

@Jay235 an old realtor trick is vinegar: it somehow destroys strong odors. You can steam a,pot of vinegar on the stove and also leave steaming bowls of vinegar to cool in the affected rooms. Spray it on carpets and walls and curtains (test a patch first to make sure the fabrics are okay but should be) and also add it to your loads of laundry to bust up those body odors. 

Wash the linens with vinear both in the wash cycle and in the rinse cycle (as if it were fabric softener - it works as one too).  Vinegar helps to kill the bacteria that causes the smell and helps to eliminate the residue it leaves behind. 

If the mattress pad is still smelly, you can put a non-scented dryer sheet or two under the fitted sheet to absorb any smell.  Just place it where it won't become bunched up as someone is sleeping over it, and not up at the head in case the guest is sensitive to it somehow.  My aunt uses dryer sheets to absorb odor in her car all the time.

Wow, Jess, I thank you!  I just want my beautiful bed and bath fragrance friendly environment back. I will try that now.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

I am sorry but I disagree with everybody here.

"I was advised not to tell him he smells because it's cultural."

To stink as a culture? Why should we adopt to a culture where people stink? Why don't they adopt to our culture? In the US, Europe and many other parts of the world it is a wide spread habit to take a shower every day. If someone travels to such a country this person should just do the same.

There's an old saying: "When in rome do as the romans to"

When my husband an I visited the wailing wall in Jerusalem, I covered my shoulders and my husband covered his head. I think we can expect the same courtesy from foreign cultures when they visit our countries.

I’m sure a white person said it was ‘cultural’, not an Egyptian. relax

A shower sometimes is not enough. I just had a guest who smelled so bad that it is still in the room 5 days later, even after airing out, candles,  and having the fan in the washroom on 24 hours a day. He showered every day, but he was still smelly. I guess he was not really exfoliating or washing properly or everywhere and did not use any deodorant. It's cold here in Canada, I can only imagine how it's going to be for anyone living/working with him in the summer. Yuk!  I am going to try the the steaming pot of vinegar. I hope my books didn't absorb the smell inside of them.

Yes yes, Thank you, Maria, I am dealing with that now.

I was even wondering if the foul odor is coming from the things brought in. The guest is on the 8th day if a 10-day stay and the odor permeates the house each time the door is opened at their coming and going. They shower every other day in the am and return smelling just horrid going straight to the room for the evening.

I wonder if I could open my guest room door in their absence just place the vinegar steam pot in. Does anyone think that would that be an invasion of their paid-for privacy?  It is my home.  I gave it over when I accepted their requested booking with me. No prior booking on their profile. It is and has been my personal policy to never enter a guest room during their stay. 

Bath and bodyworks plugins have helped me survive thus far. Just 2 days to go. : \

Lord knows I am seriously thinking of blocking my future calendar indefinitely. It is almost unbearable. 

I am currently looking for a (personal hygiene kind statement) to add to my listing for future guests. Does anyone know of one? I am searching google and thankful to have found you! 

Jane 

@Jay235

I do not think stinky BO is "cultural" at all - it has to do with personal hygiene and habits. If the smell is bothering other people residing in the same home, then it is a problem that should be addressed sooner rather than later because the longer it smells the more difficult it is to get rid of the stink. 

https://www.wikihow.com/Deodorize-a-Room

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I am with with Ute; anyone that imposes an unexpected special personal need on a host by total surprise, can't use culture as a pass. If so, then hosts would  start to discriminate on cultural grounds. You are not hosting a culture, but an individual that must fit within the parameters of your place and not be an undue burden on others.

Yes, how to handle this is tricky.  Maybe call Politically-Correct Airbnb and let them figure this one out.