Smoker....or smoking not sure

Smoker....or smoking not sure

Hi, I hope everyone is doing as well as possible during this time.

I just had guests who were here for 5 nights. I rent the upper level as of my house as a duplex type space. I very soon noticed a smoking odor, but I thought it was just a smoker with a heavy odor, not necessarily smoking. I didn't want to confront them because they seemed to be nice people and were appreciative during the stay (and were professional people). And I'd have to deal with it/clean it.  After they left, the odor in the space was as strong as I've every had. It took me few days to get rid of most of the odor - with windows open, air purifiers, cleaning all surfaces and linens, having baking soda out, etc. I do have no smoking anywhere on the property rule in my house rules, but I don't have a no smokers allowed stated either. I'm still not sure if someone smoked or it was just a super heavy odor carried by the smoker onto everything. I'm not sure how to review in a situation like this?? They were good guests other than that... 

(Also, I'll probably put a no smokers allowed rule after this. I've had a couple others that were bad over the course of 120+ guests, but nothing like this. I just thought people would respectful of well kept spaces and would try to minimize smoking odors.)

14 Replies 14
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Jennifer1351 my contract and house rules specifically state that if the guest leaves behind odor (of any type, for any reason) that requires additional cleaning or replacement of items then they are responsible. Now, if abb upholds that or not is a different matter. But regardless of how it happened, they left you with a place that was not suitable for future guests, that seems worthy of mentioning in a review. (just substitute any other scenario where you were cleaning up after smells... perfume, ointment, incense, spices, pet, infant, BO.... if that helps you think about the review)

Most smokers I have ever known emphatically CANNOT smell that they "smell", so expecting them to police their own smell is a losing proposition.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Jennifer1351,

Last year, I had a couple of guests that stayed for 23 nights.  The husband smoked, and he followed our house rules by smoking only off of the property grounds.  I provided a weekly cleaning, and would do so while they were out.  I noticed that his clothes and possessions had a very strong smoke odor, and it lingered in the bedroom for several days after they checked out.  

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Jennifer1351,

I left the guests a good review, because they did follow all of the house rules, were friendly, and left the place in tidy condition.  As @Kelly149 said, they probably don't even smell the smoke anymore, and don't realize that they are "Pig-pens" (Peanuts reference) that walk around with perpetual clouds of smoke odor.

I didn't update my house rules to exclude smokers, because I think people can get engulfed with smoke odors by going out to clubs and bars, and bring it back to my space in their hair and clothing.  Granted it shouldn't be as odoriferous as a smoker.

Thanks @Debra300 . It sounds like a similar situation. I've been worried about how to review. It made me uncomfortable because they were good guests, seemed nice. I will probably leave a good review though I think I'll make a comment about the smoking odor, though I'm still not sure since I didn't have a no smokers allowed rule in my listing. I have changed my rules to state no smokers allowed. This was just too much and stressful, and I'm still concerned about the people who just arrived 4 days after that it is still lingering. Baffling how someone can come into a perfectly clean space, reek of smoke and be there for days and think it's fine and make no effort no minimize the obvious odor. I had another smoker who I was concerned about with another booking, but someone he smoked across the street in the park and I really couldn't sense a smoker was there after he left, so there are ways to minimize the nasty odor.

@Jennifer1351,

I don't suggest that you mention the smoking odor in the public review, but instead you can say something to the guest in the private comments.  Just rack this up as a learning lesson, and possibly leave some Febreze fabric deodorizer in the space.  You can also mention in your house rules something about guests are responsible to take appropriate steps (use the spray, shower, wash their hair, etc.) to not leave strong odors from smoke, food or or perfumes.

Thank you again @Debra300 ! I needed that advice, great info. Yeah, sometimes you just have to have look at it as a learning experience. I appreciate all the advice! Great idea about mentioning in the rules about guests taking steps to deal with odors while there, and bringing it up to them in the private comments.

As an ex-smoker I can appreciate the dilemma, and by coincidence my wife would put one of those drug dogs at the airports to shame, her smelling ability being that unusual. Perhaps emphasis should be placed on quickly eliminating the odor of even smoker's clothes; my Mrs. (a bleach terrorist) washes everything, floor, walls, building foundation and even the whole darn island after smokers leave.

(Pig-Pen is a perfect depiction of a smoker, cool character)

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Fred13,

My mother was a heavy smoker, and everything in her place, including her, smelled of smoke.  She lived just four blocks from me, and when she'd visit me, I'd spray her with Febreze, and spray the furniture again after she left.

In regards to the guest that I mentioned earlier, I did tackle cleaning and deodorizing the room soon after checkout, but like your wife I am sensitive to the smell, and to me it lingered for days.  Now that I have instituted a two day buffer between bookings, I will definitely have to emphasize to all guests the requirement to do their part to eliminate bad odors.

@Russell49,

How do you handle the situation when the guest waits until check-in to ask about where to smoke?

I tell them no smoking anywhere near our property and that I am an ex-smoker of 30 years. This gets the message that I hate smoking. Likewise I direct them to the street when it comes to their smoking location.I also tell them that I normally do not accept smokers in my home, this way it suggests how serious I am against it.

If I see even an ash on my property then I will mention in the review that they are smokers and I believe they broke our rules. I have had potential guests ask about smoking BEFORE booking and I told them to book elsewhere as smokers have a smell that permeates everywhere even if they aren't smoking on the property.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jennifer1351 

You don't need to exclude smokers if you don't want to, but I would definitely make sure your listing states no smoking as a policy (if it doesn't already) if you don't allow it anywhere on the property as otherwise you might attract more smokers.

Personally, I've never had this problem, i.e. odour left behind from people being smokers rather than smoking inside. I think you'd have to be a pretty heavy smoker to leave an odour like that for days just from your clothes etc.

I did once have a lovely couple stay for a couple of days. They were great guests but the guy definitely had some kind of odour problem, I think from his feet. I could not believe how the room stank and I also had to throw away the (brand new) towels. I certainly didn't mention anything about it in the review though. These were not unclean people, so I am guessing he had some sort of medical issue. @Kelly149, how would you deal with that situation?

@Huma0 no one would ever enjoy being told that they smell, and it could be a “nobody’s fault” situation but in ABB private home (vs commercial hotel operators) I do think we all have a mutual responsibility to help hosts realize the strengths & weaknesses of their space and guests also need to realize where they will and will not be a good fit. 

so, for me, I absolutely don’t want to host an uncommunicative or “hey bellman!” type guest and if a guest knows or should know they leave behind a trail of odor then I expect to get their help and cooperation with remediating that. As with all things I consider attitude and effort over perfection. 
I’d prefer kind, honest & smelly over some of the bossy, self-centered, penny pinchers, but different hosts would have different parameters. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kelly149 

True. This particularly smelly guy and his girlfriend were so, so lovely and appreciative and no problem in any other way, so I really couldn't get too upset about it. It was a pretty appalling smell though!  

Luckily, I had enough time to air the room sufficiently before the next guests. I was annoyed at having to dispose of a brand new set of towels but hey, like you,  would prefer that than the nasty, unpleasant guest.

Russell49
Level 10
Katoomba, Australia

I won't let smokers in my house. I refuse people that ask where they can smoke. No way will they stink like a$$ and smell up my space.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Jennifer1351 

A good correlation is, if you're noticing that the windows seem to be open more frequently then otherwise noticeable, this is a good indication that something is up, as smokers aren't usual associated with the desire for fresh air.