Smokers leaving cigarette ends

Jane3220
Level 2
Swanage, United Kingdom

Smokers leaving cigarette ends

I have a large self contained airbnb which attracts extended family groups. I have an ongoing problem with cigarette ends...I supply outside ashtrays and allow people to smoke in the garden and on the decking, but have recently had 2 groups which ignored my rules, didn't use the ashtrays and threw then ends everywhere

If I see a cigarette end I have no option but to crawl around and try to remove every last one, I really hate this more than any other aspect of hosting

I am now on the brink of suspending "instant book" so that I can make sure guests understand that I am now at the end of my tolerance for this, and I won't accept their booking if they don't assure me that they will adhere to this rule

Our house is large so groups tend to book way in advance as it takes quite a bit of organisation to get 12-16 people in one place so I don't think it would affect us too badly not to have instant book. When I try to turn it off the system assures me multiple times that it would affect my listing badly and  that I can cancel people in advance of their stay if it sounds like they won't follow house rules. with no repercussions...

What do you all think?

Many thanks in advance

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jane3220 removing IB will likely send you way down the search pages. It seems to be quite important to Airbnb hence the penalty if you switch it off

Thanks...that my dilemma.  I will get in touch with the help centre again and just check I can cancel if people won't confirm they have read and understood my rules. I do realise that some people ill just go ahead and so whatever they want regardless.  On the whole I have great guests and I'm enjoying it all

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Jane3220 

Why not implement  property wide no smoking policy for a few months and see how it goes?  Don't forget to remove anything that can be used as an ashtray😉

Jane3220
Level 2
Swanage, United Kingdom

Thanks for the suggestion, I might try that. As for "anything that looks like an ashtray" recent guests were confused by cups, saucers, plant pots and a sink....

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

I hate this too and I’m an ex smoker.

How about something in your house rules/house folder along the lines of an extra cleaning fee of £x will be levied in the event of discarded cigarette butts?