Smokers who Lie

Smokers who Lie

So, this weekend we had two guests who smoked. I am not sure how we could be more openly hostile to smokers in our listing. The hostility usually works but for some reason, this time it did not.

I don't want them in my house, I don't want them on my street and I for sure do not want their bag of butts in my garbage. 

One of them told me she was a smoker and she, quite thoughtfully, wrapped up her butts and put them in our garbage. But they were in our garbage for a few hours and so stank up the kitchen cupboards.

The other, I am pretty sure, smoked in the kitchen of our recently renovated suite.

What is wrong with these people? And how can we get it across to them that WE DO NOT HOST SMOKERS - not ever, not for any reason and I don't care if you never light up in our house. I had bypass surgery last year, the very fact that people waste their health on smoking at all is enough to make me contemptuous of them. I do not want them in my house.

Suggestions?

25 Replies 25

@Stephanie-And-Steven0 sorry they did this. You can contact  airbnb and explain they are ignoring your house rules. This subject has been spoken of recently and it was concluded that your house rules have to be very very clear. Airbnb make a distiction between saying No smoking and No smokers.You will only be supported if you are clear that you will not allow smokers to stay even though they do not actually smoke in your home. I would use your own words in your house rules ;  " This is a non smoking house and only non smokers will be accepted, I don't want them in my house, I don't want them on my street and I for sure do not want their bag of butts in my garbage.  WE DO NOT HOST SMOKERS - not ever, not for any reason. If this rules is broken you will be asked to leave without a refund and a fee of $ xx will be charged off the security deposit to cover the deep cleaning neccessary"  That should do it 🙂

I thought our listing was as clear as it could possibly be without being offensive. I feel as though, if I go any further, we'll turn even non-smokers off because we "hate" on smokers. With one of these last two, she even quoted me to me - she said, "I want you to know I'm a smoker but I did read your listing and I know you don't allow smoking anywhere on the property or even on the street outside your house, so tell me - where should I smoke? Would it be okay if I smoked here?" (she went across the street)

Honestly, I was so astonished I had no idea what to say. I wish I had found the presence of mind to say, "No, not there either. We are not smoker friendly." but I shrugged it off and then she presented me with a bag of butts, tied up but still a bag of butts, at the end of her visit.

I guess I can't exactly say, "I hate smokers, even when they're nice, they're still assholes. Do not message us about this listing if you are a smoker." I can't say that but it is a pretty accurate description of how I feel.

@Stephanie-And-Steven0 You are not alone in feeling as you do. Personaly we are a non smoking house but we permit smoking in our very large (20acre) garden. But there are alot of hosts who do feel as you do and providing as I say you are crystal clear in your house rules that you do not want smokers, then you will be supported financially and logistically by airbnb. Your guest was very sarcastic and unfortunatly we are so stumped by it that the perfect riposte often comes to mind too late to be effective. Ensure that guests are non smokers before accepting their reservation. It's not ok for guests to make you feel uncomfortable in your own home.

I never smoked and lost my husband to a smoke induced cancer, so I don't want smoking inside either and smelling it on clothes may cause an allergic reaction for me. Nevertheless the whole post makes me think you fight a surrogate war on smokers. They are not parias either.
If other people are stupid about their health or not will not affect your health.

I would not book with militants of any kind.
Sara2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi Helga this woman reminds me of the woman who would not provide a towel WOW such bossiness there is a customer service issue when you accept money

sara

No, sorry, customer service does not extend to allowing people to break rules you clearly state are a condition of their staying in your home. Hosts are within their rights to expect their no-smoking rules to be honoured without being called out on bad customer service for challenging guests who ignore it.

I don't agree, especially when you live next door or in same property and your clothes and furniture and belongs you worked so hard to buy now smell like an ashtray.  Smoke drifting into my bedroom window, my neighbours windows. 40 a day habit, smoking indoors, when confronted smoked outdoor (At least when I was around) entering and exiting into 1, 2am in the Morning to smoke and every 30 minute prior to that?

Smokers are crazy and can't smell what non smaller can smell. I was a smoker for over 10 years (clean 5) if I had any idea how awful it smelt... No way. The smell floored me of home entering the house after a cigarette, indoors in a confined space with less ventilation. He refused to open windows because he can't smell anything

Maybe don't rent your place out

Says the bitter smoker. He'll no. your not gonna spoil it for the rest of us

Am in a bit of a quandary because I've just come home to find that my guests - who departed shortly before my return so I never met them – have been smoking in my non-smoking apartment. I'm pretty sure they only did so on the balcony but the smell has permeated the flat's interior, and the whole place stinks. But was it my mistake to assume the no-smoking rule by default applies to the balcony or is it normal for people to assume that the balcony is OK for smoking unless otherwise stated? 

Sara2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi Danielle I have a no smokers in the house rule but as I have a garden they are allowed to go out there and smoke

I think if you feel so strongly about your balcony you must list it in your rules IE we have a no smokers rule including our balcony 

sara

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

There is absolutely nothing lacking in the OPs ability to provide decent customer service.  And money, ie. being paid for a 'service', doesn't mean that you suddenly become a doormat. Well, not in this house anyway. Smokers smell of nicotine and that odour follows them around. I don't want their ashtray hair on my pillows or their smoky clothes on my furniture.

Funnily enough, I've had many requests from smokers asking if it was OK for them to stay as they liked a clean and smoke-smell free room. The answer is always the same; not a chance. 

I've learnt my lesson now. I did say the balcony was included in the no-smoking rules in my little welcome pack/rule book that I left for guests, but clearly they didn't read it! I should amend the online description to say 'no smoking anywhere' to avert this next time.

Unless specifically stated yes the balcony is usually considered outside and okay.