Smoking What? Is that Legal? Yup!

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

Smoking What? Is that Legal? Yup!

Hi everyone, I was just commenting on a "Violation of Smoking Policy" thread that began in 2016 by @Jeremy5 when I realized I must start a new one based on our governors intent to legalize recreational Marijuana in New York State.  We're not the first state to do it, were just the next and it comes with certain concerns and questions about how hosts should and will deal with it now that legal weed is coming to a town near you. 

Bearpath Lodging isnt a party place ever but has been a place folks have not been judged for consuming legal adult things like alcohol, cigarettes, pipes or cigars as long as they followed the rules of the house, noise down after 10pm and no smoking in the house or rental spaces.  As long as they don't throw butts, cans or bottles in places they don't belong, we don't care if that's how they wish to treat their adult bodies.  

I would be interested to hear from hosts in places that this is already NORML (ha ha, see what I did there, probably if you lived through the 70's).  It would be good to hear about any observations you may have about guests and rules that apply specifically to Legal pot in your state (or nation).   Thanks in advance for your insights, have an awesome day, JR  

25 Replies 25
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Melodie-And-John0 A good portion of my guests smoke marijuana and after all it has a mellowing on most so I personally never worry about the real-life effects of it on my property, the effects of drinking appears to be by far more chancy. Also the mechanics of smoking marijuana is less risky for damage than cigarettes. Come to think about it,  I don't  worry too much about what the guests do, except for unregistered persons showing up (aka party) but fortunately that can't happen.

P.S. In Belize most do smoke marijuana and few cigarettes.  

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

Interesting Fred, thanks for that, I actually found that to be the case back in the 70's, heavy drinking caused lots of bad things to "happen", smoking herbs was only brutal if you were a bag of potato chips after.   Also concur that when I was a cig smoker and drinking in younger years, stuff was more prone to getting damaged by forgetful set downs and embers that didnt stay on the end of my smoke.   I also had a cig every hour or so, thats allot og smoke and fire now that I think about it!   Im pretty sure there arent enough potato chips on the island for someone trying to do that with pot!  JR

No wonder most of my guests bring a lot of munchies, never put 2+2 together, how could I have not figured that out being a child of the 60's. 

/off to the island till Monday;  working on a gazebo called 'Gateway to Adventure'. 

@Fred13 I had some friends who told me they got so stoned one night they just pulled up chairs in front of the open fridge.

@Sarah977 Two years ago I had a group of girls come,.one of their parents asked me to 'keep an eye on their little girl'; 22-years old. I heard not a peep from them for 3 whole days, I phoned a few times - zero answer, finally took a trip out there at 10pm at night (!!) on the 3rd day and found them all sitting on chairs in the water (its very shallow all around the island) absolutely stoned and they couldn't even remember who I was. Oh boy. 

Hi  @Sarah977 , thats another reason not to share the kitchen!   

Sam397
Level 10
Reno, NV

In Nevada marijuana has been legal for a few years now and none of what the so called experts said was going to happen happened. Crime didnt go up, people are not getting in accidents while under the influence, children are not getting hold of the stuff and it didnt lead to people using harder drugs. It really has shown how the experts in this country regarding marijuana use has no idea what they are talking about. In fact everything  I have seen come out as a result of legalizing marijuana has been nothing but good. What it has done for our schools is nothing short of miraculous, and the revenue Nevada makes is mind blowing. My point is legal marijuana is going to become nationwide before to long, there is just too much financial advantages for states not to allow it.There may be a few states that lagg but it will happen. So we may as well get ready to address it. Personally it never has appealed to me but I have seen its affects on people and I can say without a doubt its nowhere near as bad as consuming alcohol.

It really isnt a big deal anymore and is accepted as a normal thing by people.  What I do is I treat it the same as I do tobacco, I dont allow it in the house but it can be done outside as long as it is done according to the law. And its pretty easy to tell if someone is smoking it because they seem to always be coughing up lungs and smiling for no apparent reason.

"And its pretty easy to tell if someone is smoking it because they seem to always be coughing up lungs and smiling for no apparent reason." Thats funny Schnitz right there @Sam397 !  Its interesting that the US didnt pass it nation wide and that seemingly created mini Meccas for stoners.  That was one of the reasons NY passed it, everyone was jumping the border and paying taxes in another state.  As it spreads, that novel effect should dwindle.   Its good to hear the naysayers were wrong, they predicted  Stone-mageddon and only had a shortage of Nacho Chips as the negative outcome.  My smoking rules are the same as yours, and will stay that way.  Stay well, JR

@Melodie-And-John0 It's curious the difference between Americans and Canadians in this. I can't imagine Canadians travelling somewhere simply because pot was legalized there. Any Canadians who were pot smokers before legalization had no problem finding it and smoking it, although they would be inclined not to do it in public. Legalization didn't change that much, except for it becoming a legitimate business opportunity. If Canada had legalized it only in certain provinces and not others, it's doubtful anyone would get all excited about it and make a special trip to where it was legalized.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Even before it was legal in Canada, the police mostly turned a blind eye to someone simply puffing on a joint, unless they were one of those cops who simply enjoys throwing their authority around and harrassing people. They knew that pot-heads didn't cause problems, it was the drunks who caused car accidents, got in fights, and disturbed the peace. And if they busted someone for smoking a joint or because they got caught with a small baggie for personal use, the cops knew they'd have to waste time going to court, when all the person would get was a slap on the wrist or a small fine, because the judicial system didn't consider it a threat to society either.

Here in Mexico, a lot of the older generation still looks on it as "bad", but among the younger folks, it's quite common, as it is with the expats. It's not exactly legal, but no one goes to jail for it, either. 

As a host, I couldn't care less whether my guests smoke cigarettes, weed, or drink, although I certainly wouldn't want someone holed up in their room doing meth or shooting up heroin. It's always warm enough to sit outside to smoke, which any of my smoking guests have done without being asked. There's a table and chair and an ashtray on the balcony outside their room, so it's pretty obvious. Even if they did smoke in the room, the smell wouldn't linger or insinuate itself into anything- windows are almost always open, and the only cloth that could absorb the smell are curtains I can easily take down and wash, and a small throw rug.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

I don't really see how this changes anything.  If your airbnb is 'non smoking' it will still be non smoking whether it is tobacco or weed.  And I assume since people can write rules that no tobacco is smoked on their property inside or outside, even though it is legal, they can do the same for weed.

@Mark116  It changes things in the sense that if marijuana was illegal before, a guest using it on your property would be engaging in illegal behavior, rather than simply breaking house rules.  

Of course,if a host says no smoking indoors (or even on the property) that's no different no matter what they are smoking. They could be smoking cow dung, but they can't do it at your place.

I would caution hosts that if you don't want people to vape, either, you should specifically state that, to cover yourself in case there is a dispute. Many people seem to consider vaping as a form of smoking, but it isn't. It doesn't produce smoke- it produces water vapor, just like a kettle. It's whatever it's flavored with, or if they are vaping marijuana, that might leave an odor. 

@Mark116 , We are smoke free indoors and "smokem if you gottem" outside at Bearpath Lodging and will remain that way so I don't think it changes things overall but One thing I wondered was if anyone with multiple suites like us had complaints from non smokers about "Exposure" from other guests?  I have heard about that from other guests about regular cigs, as I wrote in the other thread, a Non Smoker can smell a cig a mile away.  JR 

@Melodie-And-John0 A Non-Smoker that can smell and be bothered by a cigarette a mile away has a major problem and should get a smell-reduction operation if they want to get along in this crowded world. Better yet, they should move to Antartica, if allowed and stop bothering the rest of us.

(How is that for starting PC this morning, before my first cup of coffee?) 🙂