Smoking What? Is that Legal? Yup!

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

Smoking What? Is that Legal? Yup!

Hi everyone, I was just commenting on a "Violation of Smoking Policy" thread that began in 2016 by @Jeremy5 when I realized I must start a new one based on our governors intent to legalize recreational Marijuana in New York State.  We're not the first state to do it, were just the next and it comes with certain concerns and questions about how hosts should and will deal with it now that legal weed is coming to a town near you. 

Bearpath Lodging isnt a party place ever but has been a place folks have not been judged for consuming legal adult things like alcohol, cigarettes, pipes or cigars as long as they followed the rules of the house, noise down after 10pm and no smoking in the house or rental spaces.  As long as they don't throw butts, cans or bottles in places they don't belong, we don't care if that's how they wish to treat their adult bodies.  

I would be interested to hear from hosts in places that this is already NORML (ha ha, see what I did there, probably if you lived through the 70's).  It would be good to hear about any observations you may have about guests and rules that apply specifically to Legal pot in your state (or nation).   Thanks in advance for your insights, have an awesome day, JR  

25 Replies 25

Works for me @Fred13 , Im a pot into the day, sipping the last drops of my now cold coffee between tasks and checking the CC.  A cig right now would actually taste pretty good but I think I will stick with sniffing others second hand smoke every here and there, its much more affordable than smoking!   I work in a University (27 years)  and when I was a smoker, I would walk 50' from the building and hide behind trees and rocks, cup the cig to smoke and still got evil looks from perfect people, Ive found ex smokers can be the worst for sure!  Be well Fred, JR   

Ex-smokers usually become quite the partisans. 

@Fred13  Yep. I'm a smoker who has quit and started again (stupid me) several times. When I was quit, if I passed someone having a smoke, the smell of it absolutely revolted me. But I would hate to become one of those ex-smokers who was always lecturing others on the evils of it, and making a big deal out of how it bothered me 🙂 Those people are insufferable.

Me too, after years of quitting I still dabble in it, but I am so filled with guilt about it, I keep it light, real light, like only a few a day.max. (Writing that makes me feel better!)

And yes, ex-smokers oftentimes become crusaders as if now they are in a holy war against it. 

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Melodie-And-John0, in your own words: folks have not been judged for consuming legal adult things like alcohol, cigarettes, pipes or cigars as long as they followed the rules of the house, noise down after 10pm and no smoking in the house or rental spaces. As long as they don't throw butts, cans or bottles in places they don't belong, we don't care if that's how they wish to treat their adult bodies.

If marijuana is legal, as long as your guests are following the house rules, respecting your place and smoking outside, what does it matter? As others have said, it's far less damaging than drinking. Personally, I'd much rather have stoners than drinkers staying at my place! (although here of course it's not legal - yet - but I still wouldn't care).

Hi @Kath9, over the last 4 years we have made incremental changes in our rules and  found every change had both intended and unintended consequences.  Legal pot is pretty new in the US and especially NY so I ask questions and see what folks with that experience have to say, its always better to learn of possible pitfalls or potfalls from others when it comes to business choices so thats my intent here. 

Truthfully, Im OK with the change and wondered what took them so long.  Stay well, JR

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

Weed is illegal here. 4-5 dealers in every small neighborhood, but is officially illegal.

And other hundred thousand people, growing something, somewhere-balconies, basements, village greenhouses.

About the guests...no problems so far. Smoking is forbidden on public places and inside closed spaces, if they are "public".
Hookahs are very popular .

Thanks @Dimitar27 , odd that it is still illegal in so many places yet accepted at the same time.  Seems its time for everyone to get on the same page and stop chasing weeds with helicopters, badges and guns.   Stay well, JR 

@Melodie-And-John0  Unfortunately, it's a political problem. Some of the politicians are feeling themselves very comfortable, staying in the middle ages. And they refuse to go out of there. Different studies-old and new, are showing, that the government can earn between 1 and 2 billion $, if the cannabis growing is a legal business, every year.

2 billion $ are near 80% of the current budget of the healthcare system (Emergency, hospitals,sanatoriums, etc.) and 90% of the budget of the education system( from kindergardens to universities).

I agree @Dimitar27 , as well as the community added benefit of denying dangerous criminal enterprises of another profitable product they can hogtie their customers with and hopefully saving us some Law Enforcement $$$.  There is nothing cheap about flying Helicopters around rural NY state looking for weeds in the hills, they can use that money and those choppers to transport Organ Donations and other medical emergencies.  

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

We had some guests, fellow hosts from more a more conservative part of the state, who did some strange stuff - I found an old outdoor umbrella I'd stashed in an area  I consider backstage set up on the deck late at night, were they worried about moon burn?  They left a bunch of their brand new hardback  books scattered around face down in random parts of the garden & left the water running in the tub when they checked out. They were sweet but peculiar. I was sorting their trash into recyclables etc when my youngest took a look & said d*mn! That's a bleep load of edibles they went thru in 2 days! Apparently they spent the weekend touring the university of California with their daughter and  gobbling high octane dope candies.

The fact that weed is illegal on the federal level means that legal dispensaries have to go through lots of expensive hoops as they cannot use the same banking practices as other businesses. Here's a quote from the Fabulous Furry Freak brothers: "Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope" (this doesn't necessarily reflect the views of Sally who would warn folks of the dreaded potbelly!)