Smoking and other house rules

Maxine33
Level 7
Alexandria, VA

Smoking and other house rules

I have read a few of the various threads about smoking and violations of house rules. as well as comments on the host Facebook group and am hoping for some clarification from @Airbnb on how house rules are handled.

1. If a guest violates house rules, will Airbnb facilitate the fine related?  For example, I have a $1500 fine for smoking to cover the costs of deep cleaning, washing walls, etc.  If housekeeping comes in and the house reeks of smoke, will Airbnb simply deduct it from the security deposit or are there other steps?  There is also a $500 moving fee if the furniture has been rearranged to cover the cost of having to bring someone in to put everything back in place. (My house is a monthly rental and you would be surprised what people decide to relocate!)  Do I send before and after photos?

2. If Airbnb does not facilitate, how do you propose we collect?  Do you provide the guests name, home address, and contact information?  

I know similar questions have been asked before and I appreciate your patience with me.  While I know Airbnb is more friendly to guests that hosts, I really thought our rules were something Airbnb helped enforce so I am a little late to the party.  

Thanks,

Maxine

2 Replies 2
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Maxine33 Airbnb will not enforce added charges or penalty fees on hosts' behalf. The security deposit is a myth. Airbnb does not actually collect it, and I'm not sure we've ever heard of any host having been successful claiming on the security deposit. It's also notoriously difficult to collect on damages from the host guarantee.

Airbnb does not provide any guest information to hosts beyond a phone number with confirmed booking, and that phone number does not even have to be legitimate or in service. The guest does not have to have a last name, or even a real name, on their profile. If you were ever to request more guest information from Airbnb, such as a guest's address, they would not give it to you.

Sometimes I wonder why I host on Airbnb.

Angelica-Y-Jorge0
Level 10
Mazatlán, Mexico

Sean from Airbnb Automated has a great video on this and more. It is very hard to collect but possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t_Azc3qfZ8

Hope this helps

Jorge