Snowbird losing Superhost status

Wayne47
Level 2
Ontario, Canada

Snowbird losing Superhost status

We worked hard to get our superhost status and looks like we will lose it when we close down for the winter. Nothing will have changed while we are gone we will still on our return provide our guest with the best service possible and maintain the same level of booked night as the previous year. There really needs to be a change in my opinion of the AirBnB model for retired hosts that spend time in the sun for the winter. 

16 Replies 16
Ber2
Level 2
Mexico City, Mexico

Hi Marilyn, 

I agree. For seasonal listings, It should not be measured the same way.

Have you tried sending suggestions directly to the management team about this issue?
https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback

I believe it could help to raise the issue for the model to be checked. 

Hope this helps and best of lucks 🙂

I have sent the team my concerns on two occasions but have heard nothing back to date.

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Hi @Wayne47

It depends how long you close and how busy you are when open. Superhost is based on the previous 12 months, snoozing your listing for 2 or 3 months when quiet should be possible. You would have to have completed the following requirements over the previous 9 or 10 month period instead of 12months.

• Hosted at least 10 trips
  • Maintained a 90% response rate or higher
  • Received a 5-star review at least 80% of the time you’ve been reviewed, as long as at least half of the guests who stayed with you left a review
  • Completed each of your confirmed reservations without cancelling
Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Wayne47 Why dont you try to find a co host in your area so that to be able to take bookings for you when you will be away? This may help you save your Superhost title. Good luck!!!

Interesting idea, but here, out in the woods, like i am, it wouldnt' pay someone to have to do everything it would take to keep my place going in the dead of winter.

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

If you have good service and the people that were there know how great the place is you don't really have to worry about it because you already proven how great you are is the good stay that your guest had thatS what counts

I agree with you Albert as I am sure that our record will stand for itself in the end. I still believe this is a common issure and I hope it will be addressed in the furture. Thanks for the reply.

Claire129
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I have the same problem...I lost my Superhost status this quarter because my property is on a very seasonal Spanish island, so during October-April there is no-one to host!

It seems very unfair to penalise Hosts for this, especially when Guests can search for properties to book that are hosted by Superhosts only. 

i agree as it happened to me.  is there anyway that people like us could petition airbnb or something?

well i think having the superhost badge alone is enough to make many people book without having to read a bunch of reviews.  so i think airbnb should reconsider their criteria for superhose as far as people who need to snooze the listing because they are not there and the place is not being rented for that time.

Ginnie1
Level 2
Port Townsend, WA

i had the same problem.  i didnt' realize when i put my listing on snooze last winter due to construction mess around here and also a month in mexico that i would lose my superhost status.  this doesn't seem fair as nothing changed about the actual listing or what i did to get superhost status.  are you going to snooze your listing agin next winter? it is a hassle to have to deal with airbnb at all when you are not home or using your rental.  thanks, ginnie

Georgia164
Level 1
Courtenay, Canada

Our places are seasonal (summer only) as they are not insulated or even equipped with heating units or in some cases do not have indoor kitchens so are not able to be used as winter rentals anyway so we cannot rent them  in the colder months.  I agree with a lot of you that if you have maintained consistent high standards as a superhost, that snoozing for several months of the year for whatever reason should  not do anything to change one's record and should not be used as grounds to penalize airb&b hosts.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Georgia164 

Georgia, remember each rating period is for the preceding 12 months so, at every assessment you will have 2 hotter times of the year and 2 colder times of the year taken into account.

As long as you meet the required minimum requirements for each 12 month assessment you will retain your status. It doesn't mean that you will be penalised depending on the time of the year. 

Cheers.......Rob

Thanks for your reply and do you know if you still quality for the $100.00 bonus for being a superhost?