So defeated . Yet I want answers!

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

So defeated . Yet I want answers!

Another nightmare weekend. Saturday I fell asleep at 12 midnight, as horrendous personal situation  (is this wrong!? Do I need to be 24/7 *woke*)

woke up at 5am to see dozens of calls - around 1am / 2am time - from guest who had ‘left keys in uber’ .

i can’t understsnd why the guest didn’t recall her driver - his number would be listed in app - and get keys back. 

Anyway, at 5am I wake up - message and tell guest how to get emergency set of keys. Bingo! She acknowledges she’s back in flat! 

She messages next day, to say ‘sorry, don’t worry, chatted to driver, I’ll get keys back, before I check out.’ 

So today Monday. Guest checks out. Sends message. ‘Not able to get keys back, I had to rush to catch my train’

I phoned Airbnb to log issue and commenced resolution claim. I just charged  the ‘labour’ to Change barrel on 3 locks. Not whole new locks. No charge for all extra keys I had to cut for me, cleaner, my new guests, arriving this same day at 3pm! I tried to be reasonable. 

Weekend guest accepts the charge, but of course leaves retaliatory review. 

Nearly 6 years of hosting Airbnb? How do I feel? Defeated, unsupported, guests can ruin hosts, no fairness, a platform hosts built and  pay for with fees , yet treated with utter contempt! Superhosts lost because of guests like this! 

And *supposed* voice of hosts (the biggest joke of this century)  @laurachambers 

you ignored me last time when a guest literally sh*t all over my apartment! But when  are you going to step up to your role - supporting hosts? -  stop guests who are charged via resolution centre, from leaving reataliority  reviews????  I appreciate this is rude, but apart from staying with superhosts all around the world - utterly  pountless as so biased- and documenting how amazing it all is. What is your response to hosts like me, who are totally hacked off with Airbnb? A totally disillusioned host worn down by Airbnb policies? 

105 Replies 105
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@David6 

As mentioned in another post today - guests will often blame the host for their own mistakes.

You are guilty that she couldn't enter the apartment in the middle of the night.

You are guilty if she can't check-in earlier then she already agreed on before booking.

We are guilty if their partner has an affair, their dog dies, the weather sucks....and their life is miserable 😛

You have 655 reviews so you are in this business for a long time, you should have become immune by now 🙂

@Branka-and-Silvia0 

Agree. I should by now 🙂  

It’s just the frustration. All the hard work we as hosts put in, yet you can loose superhost so easily,  because this is what Airbnb allows.  

@David6    I totally understand the frustration, I have also been doing this for a while, but nevertheless,  I have blocked out dates for a break because a few passive-agressive, petty guests have gotten to me and I found that I was changing my behavior with other guests in anticipation of them being the same way, and I refuse to go that route.  Airbnb puts the host between a rock and a hard-place with its messed up approach to star ratings and superhost status.

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ange2 

Good idea . Thank you 

honestly though... what do you really lose if you lose superhost status? $100 per year coupon? Whoop-dee-doo. 

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@David6 

...and you even allowed a late checkout of 1.00 rather than 11.00 !

Console yourself. Your guests probably live in a **bleep** heap and are expectant beyond reasonable doubt.

Again, as you point out, a retaliatory review based on a guests transgressions. The words can easily be ignored and you have already replied to her review, but her star markings will be like an invisible killer based on a biased untruthful opinion designed just to hurt.

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 

Thank you. Appreciate the wise and kind words. 

Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@David6 Your original post was magically rescued back. 

Good job, forum administrators!

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mike1034 

Haha. Yes it suddenly reappeared this morning. 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @David6 and @Mike1034 ,

Yes yes! The post was errouneously flagged as spam so we released it as soon as the working day began.

Sorry for the delay on that,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@David6 Yes, maybe take a break, but also, you have to guest-proof your places. I would not be giving guests something they could lose (keys) when non-lose options exist (smart lock)

and, don’t you have too many reviews for any one review to hurt you? Seems like the math should be on your side. (Doesn’t make it right, just saying...)

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kelly149 

Luckily no break needed, but I will keep ranting about Airbnb policies, haha. And unfortunately had 3 retaliatory reviews recently, and now 5* ranking  has dropped to 4.7 meaning I risk loosing superhost. D6F736BA-6311-4F3D-AFD8-0E198996104C.jpeg

I actually have a smartlock - just not fitted it yet as read a few horror stories of them malfunctioning and guests being locked out. I read some good advice, only instal one if it has emergency option to unlock with a key. I’ll need to do more research...  

@David6    Where do you see those trends.  I do not see it on the desktop app.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Ange2  I don't see them either. Never have.