So many bags carried by couple guests into a room / extra guest joining

Good-Morning0
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

So many bags carried by couple guests into a room / extra guest joining

Hi there, 

I want to share some of issues with my guests as renting a private room and want to hear what is your idea.

I am living in a condominium apartment and I am hosting guests to one of rooms, Yes, I am staying in the other room. 

Only one room is rented to guests, but I offer a sofa bed in a living room, so maximum 3 guests a booking I have accepted. 

BTW,  I wanted to avoid someone to bring too many bags for all short-stay.  

Because it is a condominium building, there are  concierge & manangement staffs & all neighbor... are care if someone enters with lots of bags,  it looks very not normal.  ('Lots of bags' means people look like moving-in with their all living stuffs which they even can not carry by themselves ) 

So I mentioned on my house rules and house manual  "2 bags per a guest are allowed to my place, Sorry for that! / if you have more then please contact to host"     

1)  Recently,  3 students carried 10 bags( 6 big luggage with wheels, 4 backpacks etc..)   

Even I made sure them to read house rules & manual and asked their plan etc.   They said it is short trip( 7days ).  So I assumed they are not coming with lots of bags.. but  they carried  10 bags.  Only I  told them off  after they checked in once.    But they requested me to keep their 10 bags until night after their check-out(11am).  I denied and they seemded really unhappy and left.     There was no extra-charge and no guests understanding  or  no good feeling .

2)  Yesterday, One couple arrived with van taxi, this couple contacted me 3 days before, but booked 3 months ahead. They would carry 3 large luggage each person and asked me keeping their bags at my place until evening after their check-out. 

I didnt want to make my guests feeling bad,   so I just answered   "Please read even once house rules and manual before coming"   they said "Ok"  

My house rules and manual mention  "2 bags per a guest allowed / check-out time 11 am etc.."

Anyway, this couple carried 10 big wheel-luggage  for their 4night stay to my room.  They said "We are moving to Taiwan" so those stuffs are moving-overseas living stuffs.   I allow 2 bags per a guest  but they said "3 bags per a person", so I would help them to check-in instead of denying a little more over... But these big 10 wheel-luggage for overseas moving new-married couple stuffs  are too much bothering me to calm down.  

I mentioned just once inside my place,  "I have to tell you once, this much luggage you carried are not allowed at any airbnb renting-room, also I have house-rules & manual which I made sure you to know before coming, it is too much.  I am afraid neighbor complaints to me and will stop this airbnb"   and this couple seemed not-understanding.  There was no excuse or no apology and I feeling they are very unhappy. 

I am afraid they may ask me again to keep their 10 moving out bags to my place until evening.   It is impossible to me but guests do not seem to understand.

3)  Also after this couple guests,  4-family are coming to stay which I never allowed 4 in a room,  it was 3 family booking in a room( I offer a sofabed in a living room).   2 boys with a mother, it was fine.  but  I never allowed more than 3.   Suddenly 2 days ago, this mom texted me "My mother(kids grand mom) would like to join our stay"   I said "No" and she insisted on 4 family-coming.  This booking also 3 weeks before made, suddenly 2 days before added one adult more  and still messaged me "Will you charge extra?"  I said "I didnt say you guys can stay all 4, it is small & shared condo, you renting a room, I never accepted 4 guests to a room" .....  I talked to airbnb cs team to cancel this booking, they said  "It can be cancelled by guests fault(fine).  But if it fits to guests"  It means if guests insist not-cancelling or asking full-refund, I can not cancel it.  so I have to accept this booking also if I want to keep my superhost status.." so unfair.. so I have to host  4-family in a room.  but It is just 2 night and the mom explained their simple schedule so I accepted 4-family coming.   I don't know what another thing will happen to me soon. I don't like this forced-booking & people.

If you have any advice, please share with me. 

Thanks for all

6 Replies 6
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Good-Morning0,

I feel you are attracting the wrong guests. They take advantage of you (at you allow them to do so)

But i also noticed your listing is not active anymore. So you stopped hosting ?

Good-Morning0
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

This is my old account,  I have another one, superhost status. Yes, those guests took advantae of me this time.

But before  some guests went to drop off their bags to their uncle's place in the other city( Hamilton ), here is Toronto before check-in.

Because they read my rule about 2 bags allowed per a guest and  they even didn't ask me to accept 3 bags, I would accept 3 per person though. 

I didn't mean to make good people hard.

Michael956
Level 10
Salvador, Brazil

2 bags per guest seems like an extreme rule to me.  You seem like a very inflexible person.  Are you sure you have the right personality for hosting?  

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Good-Morning0 If you are encountering a re-current 'problem', best to work on a permanent solution.  The only-2 bag limitation comes across stiff, and the 'leaving bags' late is leading to bad vibes. Perhaps  find a place or spot where they can leave the 'excess' baggage - surely they are not living out of all 10 bags at once.  

Ana1901
Level 2
Edmonton, Canada

I think this is a reasonable concern, specially if you are sharing a room and a living room in a condo, it would take too much space. 10 bags (suitcases??) for 4 nights seems excesive. Have you considered hosting only 1 guest at a time?

@Good-Morning0 

Considering lack of space and the fact you are hosting a private room...... I would suggest you try to target solo guests or the occasional couple.

As long as the guests keep their luggage in the guest room, you shouldn't care about how much they bring. Instead of saying ""2 bags per guest" you could change the tone saying guests must store ALL of their own luggage in the guest room and not let them leave stuff anywhere else. In addition, you could have information about luggage storage available and point guests in that direction. Also, you might want to ask the purpose of their visit and why they chose your listing before accepting potential guests.

Guests saying "yes I read the rules" means nothing. Hosts should reiterate important things to guests before or immediately after a booking is confirmed - this is a private room in shared home. (MY home )There is no extra storage space  so you must keep ALL of your luggage in the guest room, and I cannot offer luggage storage before check in or after check out - no exceptions. In my case, I do this for my "no guest(s) of the Airbnb guest allowed" rule.