So, putting my listing live... I'd like to get input on it...

Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

So, putting my listing live... I'd like to get input on it...

So, silly question, do I just take it off snooze and leave no inventory up so the hosts here can give input? Is that the easiest way in order to not get bookings while I get input from you folks? Tagging (@Fred@Farah@Huma@Branka & Silvia@Jessica & Henry@Sharion@Momi, although anyone please feel free to chime in!

When i hear back if this is the right way, I will post the link here - although I am sure it is in my AirBnB profile when I take it off snooze, right? (BTW: I've included 27 photos of a 400 sq foot studio - to ensure guests can see what they're getting! heh!)

18 Replies 18
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Jann3 your listing is not live and it is not visible at the moment. What input would you like to get from other hosts?

If you are new maybe it would be the best if you dont set instant booking until you get familiar with how Airbnb works.

Well, @Branka-and-Silvia0, it *is* live (was snoozed - but took a few hrs to show for some reason). BTW: No, I am not doing IB *anytime* soon...

My question was more one of "What is the best way to let other hosts see the listing, but not let anyone book?"

Right now I have "Booking Window" of the listing set to "Dates unavailable by default"

I can see the listing here:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/20321286

@Jann3 yes, that is ok, you just post this link and everyone can see it but is unavailable to book.

Good. That's what I want (no booking) for the next few hours until I get feedback from hosts. Thanks @Branka-and-Silvia0!

Oh, and the input I would like is simply this: Does anyone see anything in the listing that is out of the ordinary. I know I have several requirements, I know those are simply a per-host's decision. I guess this: Are the pictures good. Does the layout seem conducive to relaxation? Is the description okay? etc...

@Jann3  Hi!  I'm not new to hosting or being hosted, but AirBnB is brand new to me--You have the most amazing 400sq/ft space!  Quality job there!  (DANG!  All that in 400???)  Love your narrative as well, starting in Italy... 

OK, I'm not exactly answering your question, but looking at your rules/manual, there are lot of 'teeth' in it.  Do you really think you need that?  REAL QUESTION, I'm not at all being flippant.  Your price is pretty steep (a good screen right there), so I would have a hard time imagining that you'd be getting a bunch of low-life druggies unless you're afraid of attracting rich drug dealers! 

These are super innocent questions; no criticism at all!

Fun site.  (I think you have one duplicate picture---a couch view?)

Kim

@Kimberly54,

A: No offense taken at ALL!

Thanks for the kind words. There are 10 rules. They are rules that have been gleaned from several months of participating on the forums and a couple from simple things (like parking regulations in the neighborhood). The reason they are there is that AirBnB doesn't let you enforce things that are not in your "House Rules." 

The couch view, btw, is one thing I was gonna ask for people to choose from. Is it better to have the one w/lights on, or w/lights off. That's the only difference but I wanted people to give opinions. That's why there are two.

Thanks again!

@Jann3

Hi Jann,

Couch:  Lights on.  Awesome pix.  Only 400sq/ft?

Like I mentioned, new to AirBnB, not new to hosting or being hosted, but this is a totally different level for me.

You sound like you're new--but you're 'level 10'? 

Have you had horrible experiences before? 

Kim

@Jann3 photos are good, not proffessional but good enough, at least for the start. Everything is very neat and it is obvious that you put a lot of effort and love to furnish and set it up for your future guests 🙂

I am just worried for your dining table, it look like it is sensitive to water and scratches. If so, then put a glass top on it before your first guests check in. 

Everything else you will hear from your guests  🙂

And .... this fridge is huuuge for just 2 short term guests 🙂

Thanks for ALL the help @Branka-and-Silvia0! I really appreciate it! I am live with availability for the next two weeks and over the next week I will open my calendar up more as I know our plans.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Jann3I think the place looks fabulous, and especially for the price. The neighborhood is sweet, another plus. You know, I am no expert on the subject, but rather start too high then too low, you can always reduce the price, but being too cheap you may attract the wrong guests for ~such a lovely place~, then it is a slow crawl to get to one's comfort 'zone'.  I made that mistake long ago and still stumbling  out of that mistake.

Yes the picture with the light on is best - more cheery.

Sharion0
Level 9
Santa Rosa, CA

@Jann3 Thanks for inviting me over to see the new digs:). The place looks great! As we talked about, take advantage of the profesional photos that airbnb pays for:). Say hey to Rose for me:).

@Jann3 

Your place looks great!!! I think it's okay to have similar/same pics with lights on/off. (I have pics of my listing with lights on, curtains closed vs. lights off, curtains open for comparison purposes.) - personally, I think one can never have too many pics 🙂

Just a few things based on my personal tendencies  that came to mind as I looked at your listing......

I'd assume your listing would be popular with couples rather than a single guest so why not have a base price assuming 2 adults rather than have potential guests see an increase in the nightly price when they add the 2nd guest? (even though the extra person price is not much....still with the addition of extra person and cleaning, the nightly price a person would initally see and use to assume the price vs. total for a couple to stay for a 1~2 night weekend getaway does tend to creep up.)

Also, although you say 'unless otherwise agreed to" 3~5pm seems to be a tight window, and might?could? be a deterrent for people who like a little (and I know this can be quite subjective) room for flexibility when they travel.

I think there should be some brief explanations about your rules/plans for cleaning/housekeeping/new bedding & towels for reservations that are longer than 5 nights.

Your listing is waaaaa~y better organized and set up so well compared to what I had when I first started out!

Oh! and totally agree that your fridge is huge for 2 adults staying 1~2 nights! LOL!

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

It's looks awesome @Jann3 and I gave it a save:) I especially like the 'living wage' emblem which is the first time I have seen one on Air. 

Good luck 🙂