So why is 4 Stars 'Good' for Guests - but 'Bad' for Airbnb Hosts?

Rachael26
Level 10
Murphy, NC

So why is 4 Stars 'Good' for Guests - but 'Bad' for Airbnb Hosts?

Normally I am looking at things from a host angle - but I saw something recently that really made me think. I was an Airbnb guest last week and  I saw all the correspondence that Airbnb send to guests, before, during and after the booking.

It was very interesting and useful, especially the request to review (which I share with you below).

As Hosts we are all working towards satisfied guests and lots of bookings. And using Airbnb means we also have to be concerned with the Review System - and the dreaded pressure to achieve 5 Stars. Not only because some of us may want to achieve SuperHost (the jury is still out for me as to whether there are any significant benefits to being a SuperHost - the increased expectations from guests v. a dedicated phone line and a $100 travel credit - hmmmmm, still not sure!) but also the pressure to keep above a 4.5 average, because when you dip below that number Airbnb start to send warnings of suspension and all sorts of negative things. As if the pressure of hosting wasn't enough!

So my question is this - is it fair for Airbnb to have such a high average standard (above 4.5) which basically makes anything lower than an overall 5 Star 'Bad'....... but the email they send to guests after a stay doesn't point this out. It actually reads like this (see below) and I believe this is sending one message to the guest - while sending another message to the Host.

'How was your stay at Fred's place?

Terrible
Bad
Okay
Good
Great

Share your experience while it’s still fresh. Your review will help Fred improve and tells future guests what to expect.'

SO IF FOUR STARS ARE CONSIDERED GOOD - and Airbnb sends this explanation out to the guest with the review request - then why such an unsupportive reaction from Airbnb when Hosts get a 4 star review?
Wouldn't most people booking a place to stay to save money and somewhere cheaper than a hotel - wouldn't they be happy with a 'Good' place? And delighted, but not expected, if a place turned out to be 'Great'? So why is it so bad from Airbnb's point of view to get a mix of 4 star and 5 star reviews?

I also agree with the suggestion that Airbnb should wait to send the warning emails until a host receives an overall 4 star review three times in a row. That would be more indicative of below par performance than the occasional 4 star overall that some guests just seem determined to give to be difficult or whatever reason they have in their heads.

This email message from Airbnb to the guests (showing 4 stars to mean 'Good' and 5 stars 'Great') is not helpful if Airbnb continue to use a different measuring stick for Hosts (meaning 4 stars is not 'Good' but that you are failing as a Host).
160 Replies 160
Dr-Meizi0
Level 2
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel

i want to give you 5 stars on this message. its actully something that start bothering me since i got some 4 and than Airbnb start to send me insulting messeges that accusing me of being a bad host (4.4 stars)

that in the begging causes me to want to stop dealing with Airbnb. but unfortunatly - i do need the money. 

so, i abolutly agree with you 

i had the same problem -  some guests were rating me 4 but they didn't now that 4 for a host is not good as airdbnb writing ('good') so that rating pushed my everage towards 4 ...  

after talking to these guests they said they actually didnt know that 4 stars is not a good mark and these guests that were rating 4 -  tried to contact airbnb to change their review to 5 stars but off course Airbnb doesnt change the review once its published (which raise another question , why not? why the guest cant change the star rating? )

i hope someone in Airbnb is listening and going to point out the guests, that 4 stras in actually only "fair" and 5 - is good-excelent

and maybe Airbnb can add the ability to change mark when its necessery 

thank you 

thank you for this important messege. 

Meizi 

Israel

@Dr-Meizi0 & @Sandi17 & @Alicia139 & Sandra,

Thank you for your kind messages. While I do not think Airbnb will change their rating system any time soon - I do have a few ideas to help you as a host achieve the best results. I have sent you all a direct message - so look for it in your community center profile - inbox on the top right (it can be a little hard to see sometimes and the system does not alert you when a message comes in).

Best Wishes.

@Dr-Meizi0  Don't we all hope they are listening to us?  But that is only a dream... I guess.  But as i said in a few post : hosts should stick together!!! 

Jo155
Level 1
Queensland, Australia

We do not have mobile phone service where I live and host a Guesthouse and Farm Cottage and have recently posted our accom. with airbnb.  I need to discuss how Guests will contact me....via e-mail (preferred)  help page no help.

Whats the contact e-mail or phone number for airbnb???

@Jo155

Strongly suggest you snooze your listing and read about how AirBnB operates before going live.

David
Loretta2
Level 8
Byron Bay, Australia

If you Google it you should get the number- I have the no. for the sydney office in my diary which is at work now but that's where I found it- I'll look the one up that I have when I get to work this morning & get back to you if no-one else has in the meantime. 

Alicia139
Level 3
Bourron-Marlotte, France

Hi Jo,

That is the big problem of Airbnb..there is no proper customer service as yet..no tel number.. this is where booking.com wins anyday over airbnb. 

Jody40
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

I agree! I just received a notice that because I have declined my last 10 requests, I am at risk of suspension.  

Well, one of these was from a local teenager who told me he wanted a place he and his girlfriend could spend the night (same day request at 9 pm) as they both live at home.  He only just joined this month and already had a terrible review from another host saying he ignored house rules, partied all night and was a nightmare.  I only rent a room in my own home, not a separate residence and I didn't need the drama, nevermind that it was already late in the evening.  I do accept same day requests sometimes, if it makes sense.  This did not.  Because I am downtown Toronto, I get requests from people who want to come into the city from the burbs and party all the time.  This is not a good fit for my home.

Others I turned down were scams, who either wanted my home address but not reviews or details on profile, a woman wanted to rent my room for 3 people in her message (said 2 in the request as that is my limit) for several months and as it turns out, the person was a friend of my friend so we wrote to her to ask if this was her profile.  When I never heard back I declined.  

Another had 3 cats and wanted same day reservation, another wanted permanent accomodation and on and on.....

Point is, I think Airbnb is getting a lot of scammers and as a single woman who lives alone and is renting a space in my own home, I do not want emails threatening suspension if I simply do not have a good feeling about the person who is making the request.  I worked in hotels for years, and I have seen what can happen when you are forced to get someone out.  It isn't pretty.  A person in my neighbourhood recently had a party that turned into the whole house being destroyed from an airbnb listing.

Hi, I know this post is 2 years old. I also have the same issue with Airbnb for the same reasons as you. However, my listing is for Solo Female Guest only. I get a request from men constantly. Sstopped my listing.hame on Airbnb!!!

There should be no pressure what so ever to accept guest request in our own homes. Just today I 

Janejira0
Level 2
State College, PA

Ditto!  I'm a new host and still learning the ropes.  I'm ready at "risk" because I've had my thing set to Instant Booking and one person booked a couple of days before the arrival date, even though I canceled after 5 mins of his booking, the history made it look like I bailed out at the last minute.  They need to tweak their rating algorithm; take into consideration the time correlation between booking and cancellation.  

Some guests are also lazy to leave a review, that doesn't help to bring up the stars.  While some are here on business and used their agent for booking.  I didn't get a review there and I *know* she had a great stay.  🙂  So far I've been very lucky to have guests who cleaned up really well when they check-out. 

Mark462
Level 2
Germfask, MI

Lowes did the same with their installs . Just do the best you can

That's all there is to it . You can't be perfect, only God is , the rest of us "is working on it"

I'm sure even God would get 4 stars from some guests.  

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hello @Rachael26

What you said in this topic is the most interesting thing I ever seen in this community.

Although I have never got a warnings of suspension, I AM REALLY FEED UP !!!

Recently I got the Superhost Status and I believe I will lost it soon!

Just an exemple, today I got a great written review... anyway I got 4 star in Overall Experience... My statistic data has been destroyed !

Another interesting thing is that, sometimes in the search results, when we type AirBnB it results once in a while some link kind of "Buget Acommodation" or "Cheap accommodation".

Sometimes I do not understando where we will end up!

We have to be the BEST and the CHEPEAST at the same time !!!

Sorry for my rants... but today I AM really FEED UP with this review system !

So I would say ; start your ownlisting   and charge what you think is appropriate . I'm thinking the same.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I should have said - FED up