So why is 4 Stars 'Good' for Guests - but 'Bad' for Airbnb Hosts?

Rachael26
Level 10
Murphy, NC

So why is 4 Stars 'Good' for Guests - but 'Bad' for Airbnb Hosts?

Normally I am looking at things from a host angle - but I saw something recently that really made me think. I was an Airbnb guest last week and  I saw all the correspondence that Airbnb send to guests, before, during and after the booking.

It was very interesting and useful, especially the request to review (which I share with you below).

As Hosts we are all working towards satisfied guests and lots of bookings. And using Airbnb means we also have to be concerned with the Review System - and the dreaded pressure to achieve 5 Stars. Not only because some of us may want to achieve SuperHost (the jury is still out for me as to whether there are any significant benefits to being a SuperHost - the increased expectations from guests v. a dedicated phone line and a $100 travel credit - hmmmmm, still not sure!) but also the pressure to keep above a 4.5 average, because when you dip below that number Airbnb start to send warnings of suspension and all sorts of negative things. As if the pressure of hosting wasn't enough!

So my question is this - is it fair for Airbnb to have such a high average standard (above 4.5) which basically makes anything lower than an overall 5 Star 'Bad'....... but the email they send to guests after a stay doesn't point this out. It actually reads like this (see below) and I believe this is sending one message to the guest - while sending another message to the Host.

'How was your stay at Fred's place?

Terrible
Bad
Okay
Good
Great

Share your experience while it’s still fresh. Your review will help Fred improve and tells future guests what to expect.'

SO IF FOUR STARS ARE CONSIDERED GOOD - and Airbnb sends this explanation out to the guest with the review request - then why such an unsupportive reaction from Airbnb when Hosts get a 4 star review?
Wouldn't most people booking a place to stay to save money and somewhere cheaper than a hotel - wouldn't they be happy with a 'Good' place? And delighted, but not expected, if a place turned out to be 'Great'? So why is it so bad from Airbnb's point of view to get a mix of 4 star and 5 star reviews?

I also agree with the suggestion that Airbnb should wait to send the warning emails until a host receives an overall 4 star review three times in a row. That would be more indicative of below par performance than the occasional 4 star overall that some guests just seem determined to give to be difficult or whatever reason they have in their heads.

This email message from Airbnb to the guests (showing 4 stars to mean 'Good' and 5 stars 'Great') is not helpful if Airbnb continue to use a different measuring stick for Hosts (meaning 4 stars is not 'Good' but that you are failing as a Host).
160 Replies 160
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Rachael26 @Jennifer2975 

The ratings description should read:

5: Adequate 

4: Substandard. Would not return 

3: SUCKS. Would rather sleep in the subway station.

2: SUCKS BAD. Jail is nicer.

1: Listing does not exist or perhaps I am insane. 

Bruce43
Level 10
Kfar Blum, Israel

@Rachael26 hello, of course, it is unfair, I think it is the way airbnb uses mind control over us hosts.

i am waiting for the inseration of micro chips to improve our response rate  

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Rachael26@Bruce43 I agree with you that Airbnb has double standards. They always want us to be under pressure while we are hosting so that to make sure that the guests are happy and willing to book reservation via their network in the future. It is a pure aggresive way of doing business by making a host " who is by far the main key player here offering his/her property to strangers at a cheaper price than a hotel room". Some hosts here even give better services and facilities than 5 stars hotels here and i find this very shameful when Airbnb always blame the host first. Fair or unfair keep on hosting friends!!!

I hate the review system. Why stars we are not hotels! I agree.  From a simple 'stay at my home' kind of idea it has turned out to be something else with folks renting villas and fantastic properties etc,  This shoves the whole business up some notches as there ae two diffent things happening here.  Of course folks can have great experiences in both kinds of accommodation but what is the criteria for 5 stars? Perfection?  Are we expected to give Hotel service or regular Bnb service for a fraction of the price? This is rediculous and also every review is very subjective.  People are different and look at things .differently. You can't please all the people all of the time. Top marks, in my book, has to be 100% perfect in every way. Michelin star rating takes years to accomplish and faultless work to maintain.  For me, particularly, it would be the colour on the wall even!  I'm a designer.  So it all gets very silly.  What I'm saying is, that we don't need this pressure. I think forget the stars and just get guests to write good reviews.  Stars give an instant impression which may be incorrect.  We want to do a good job and make sure that our guests have a good time.  If they have a great time Say great! and thanks.   Or if they have a complaint sort it out with the host.  Report honestly about the experience.  This is much better for everyone. Maggie

Alicia139
Level 3
Bourron-Marlotte, France

I totally agree Maggie..they should just scrap the star system entirely. People all think 4 is 'good'..it doesnt work at all as its only 'fair' and so Airbnb must be loosing service as well as hosts having a struggle!  

Hope its good weather in the UK..really hot here! Love to all Manchester..

Mahrita0
Level 4
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

i agree us host are busting our guts to make guest have a comfortable stay we are asked to supply free coffee tea milk sugar water ,shampoo conditioner shower gel entwine with our guest inbetween washing drying ironing cleaning rooms getting up at rediculous hours to see your guest leave stay up to all hours of the morning waiting on your guest arrival evan although you have a 11, o,cloch last checkin knowing well your guest is going to make up some reason they are going to be late 9the train broke down ,the bus broke down, the weather ect ect airbnb was supposed to be a spare room to rent out at a cheap price and has become like working for the gastappo this company wouldnt be where it is if it wasnt for host like us giving up there private homes to strangers and i have had some strange people from stealing my beauting sequin 200pound dress to lights kettles clothes my insurance company wont insure me the reveiws i have had have nothing to do with room but my personal life right down to what looked like in my knight clothes which i find well out of order and as host have said you cant please everyone and to be threatned on top of this is terrible we are under enough stress airbnb are not invinsible a company will come along and swipe from there feet as host start getting fed up with there demands as ive said NO HOST NO AIRBNB THEY NEED US TO KEEP THERE COMPANY AFLOAT SO COME ON AIRBNB GIVE YOUR HARD WORKING GUEST A BIT OF SLACK IVE BEEN IN TOP HOTELS AND CHARGED FOR MY TEA AND COFFEE AND DOES AIRBNB READ ANY OF OUR COMPLAITS BECAUSE THE ARE THE HARDEST COMPANY TO GET HOLD OFF

Clare79
Level 2
Kessingland, United Kingdom

I throughly agree with your comments. Some of the guests I have experienced have throughly taken the pxxxxx and I could not discuss this with airbnb directly which would have been really usefull. I am thinking about stopping hosting as I feel Airbnb should read guests reviews and not star rate, WE are NOT hotels!!!!! I have just spent two nights away in a hotel and the accomadation and facilities were rubbish. I supply mini fridge toaster kettle, tea,coffee, sugar, milk, bread cereal jams  shower bits as well, in my price. Hotel supplied  4 sachets of sugar two tea sachets and two coffee UHT milk carton (2) and manky kettle!!!! 

The easiest thing to do is simply block guests that leave less then a five star review. I've had numerous repeat stays from 3-4 star guests, and they don't 'get' that anything less then five stars is a vote to remove you from airBNB. For these guests, it's not worth the risk of hosting them again, so flag their message, classify it as "something else" then block them.

How do you block people? I've had 3 4 star ratings from guests who told me that had a wonderful stay and gave me a 4 because it was good. I asked why they wouldn't do a 5 and they said because they thought it was like a hotel rating where 5 is for "luxury" homes! I'm sooooo upset about this!

I have been doing this for a year and I did not know that we could block anyone. Thank you, as there are a couple of guests that I never want to see again.

Same. Some guests should be banned from staying at any air bnb . They're Calle Leeches!

How do you block a guest? I need that button!

Ellen76
Level 3
La Quinta, CA

I know some guests don't understand the impact of 4 stars.  I had a guest who assured me he'd give me a "great" review if only I'd agree to a booking starting Christmas Day.  While not convient (I had to leave my family to drive over to our other house for checkin), I went ahead & agreed so he could come to his family's gathering & gave him a discount.  To make a long story short; he raved how great it was in his words, but gave me 4 stars onlocation & price; his parents live locally & he told me he knew the area well, so why 4 stars on location?  I think he thought he was giving me a "great" rating; it just wasn't a hotel on a golf course, so not 5 star.

Totaly unfair system ,, i agree with you !!