Software, apps and other helpful tools software, apps and hosting tools

Answered!
Damir0
Level 10
Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Software, apps and other helpful tools software, apps and hosting tools

Hi there!

Forgive me if there is a great and comprehensive thread on software, apps, tools and useful image.pnghosting automation tips and tricks. Otherwise, feel welcome to share your own approach towards hosting automation with use of all sorts of software, apps, services and more.

List your own way of automating some parts of your Airbnb hosting, to streamline repetitive or time consuming activities. 

Think of the following to get started:

1. What is your standard process? (from booking request or instant booking to the very last contact of review, saying thanks and more)
  2. Which parts of this communication process do you automate to a certain degree, and how?
  3. What are benefits of the tools, software, apps you use and what is the downside?
  4. Where are you taking your Airbnb hosting automation in near future?
  5. List your own helpful app, software or tool, or a few and share how it helps you being a better host in general?

Here are a few favorites I use myself:

Typeform - A great webbased platform to create forms of all kinds.

Zapier - A highly versatile webbased platform to connect your apps and automate tasks.

Mixmax - Easy to use productivity suite for Gmail accounts like scheduling, mail tracking.

I will go into depth in my next post on these tools. Meanwhile feel free to share your own ideas, suggestions or ask anything.

Wherever you go, there you are.
1 Best Answer
Kelly3
Level 10
Seoul, South Korea

@Damir0 This is a great thread. As I run many listings and plan to upgrade my listings end of this year, I really need to look into these automation systems.

Here are my answers.

When there is a message, I reply - I rarely use saved copy-paste, just write it out. Though there are some phrases I use often, I think copy-pasting takes less time than actually writing it as I exchange messages.When I have some free time here and there, I check on my guests, remind them about the review, say good bye, all that - but nothing really scheduled or automated. If there is a way to automatically send out general messages during the guests' stay, as well as reminder to leave a review few days after the check out, it would be great. It should be easy to 'un-schedule' that message to certain guests, as there are definitely some cases I communicate with them more, which would make a generic message sound weird. Also, all automatic message should be modified with their names in it, so it sounds more friendly.

For a booking confirmed, I make a task on Producteev that I share with my manager, so she can schedule the cleaning and such.Sharing Airbnb app would be easier, but that also has sensative information, so I just do this outside of Airbnb. If Zapier can somehow do this and automate this process, it would be awesome.

Then I send welcome message to the booked guest, at this point I just remind them to read the house manuals and direction, which people alway say they will/did, yet so many people miss this - I wonder how they miss this. I would also like some way to send out an email with my house manual (with pdf file attachment which currently Airbnb msg system doesn't support) and information automatically to confirmed booked guests.

For now, I only use Airbnb as my booking site, but I am open to another sites as well. Though if Airbnb makes the automation easier, I would definitely consider just keeping it only Airbnb. 

I somehow feel like Airbnb wants hosts to actually invest their time more on hosting so guests would feel more 'special' - and this is the reason why they are not promoting automation that much? 

View Best Answer in original post

37 Replies 37
Deb0
Level 9
Mendocino, CA

Great topic. So much of what we do is repetitive.

I use an app called Evernote for standard replies. I have a template note prepared for: Reservation Acceptance, Late Arrival Procedure, Inquiry Response, Welcome Note, Day Before Email, Checkout email, etc. I fill in details such as guest name and date, then copy and paste into an Airbnb message thread. Evernote is also available by logging into any computer or mobile device. Very handy! Would be amazing to have these types of features within Airbnb's website.

@Damir0 I'm looking forward to checking out the software you suggested, thanks!

Damir0
Level 10

@Hi @Deb0!

Thanks for the kudos! It may seem unthankful to state, but many tasks are repetitive and you can't and shouldn't reinvent your best practice whenever a new guest books your listing. We all follow standardized procedures we created ourselves.

I think it's great sharing our collective knowledge on how to automate the parts that can and should be automated, and focus our energy and #spontaneity on welcoming the guests with a non-tired mind, preventing the inevitable hosting tiredness or becoming indifferent or worse.

@Deb0, great to hear about your preferred software, Evernote (or go https://evernote.com/). I used to copy and paste from the Notes app (Apple) on my phone. However, you can save replies or messages that you have sent or want to send in the Airbnb smartphone app! So, try this:

HOW TO SEND FREQUENTLY USED MESSAGES OR TEMPLATES IN THE AIRBNB APP

1. Open the Airbnb app on your smartphone (or tablet)
  2. Go to the messages tab with guests and select a conversation you are having
  3. Tap AND hold any message coming from yourself
  4. You'll see COPY and SAVE pop up above the selected message
  5. Tap SAVE and it saves the message to your templates
  6. You can see them by tapping the + icon below on the left in the messaging frame
  7. You can keep as many replies or messages as you wish
  8. If you want to use a previously saved message, tap the + symbol
  9. You'll see it adapts the message with the name of the current guest thread

Of course, you can keep using Evernote and copy & paste your messages or replies every time, however, I think the Airbnb feature is time saving, avoiding repetitive tasks ;-). Let me know if you've managed to complete the mentioned how to above.

Mind that saving and reusing your messages only works in the Airbnb smartphone apps, I found that the iPad version has a few bugs on this feature. On the website, you can't see these pre-defined messages anywhere, so don't bother. If you prefer doing it your way, Evernote has a mobile app as well ;-).

I agree with you on improving this feature and extending it to the website as well! @Lizzie do you know if this is coming anytime soon? I can't find any info on these saves messages in the help center, strange. 

Below two screens from my iPhone:

Airbnb saves messages.png

@Damir0 Wow, I had no idea that feature was there. Thanks so much. I use the app on my iPhone all the time so I will definitely begin using this feature.

I'm curious, how long has this been there and how did you find out about it? ( I thought I knew all the ins and outs on Airbnb, ha!! )

UPDATE - Unfortunately this must be something they are beta testing. I don't seem to have this  feature after all. Anybody else see it?

Kelly3
Level 10
Seoul, South Korea

@Deb0 This featurs has been around since last year I think. Is your app updated recently?

Though it isn't that convinient to use for me, so I ended up not using it much.

This auto save message works the best with the long messages which isn't that convinient with current app setting (I use android), I would rather like to see this feature on the website version. 

Damir0
Level 10

Hi @Kelly3 @Deb0,

You're probably right on since when it became available. I agree with you, it's not the perfect tool yet. However, I do appreciate Airbnb taking notice on feedback and implementing it in the apps. 

If this feature becomes universal, across all mobile OS and web, then we would have a real helpful companion in hosting. 

I don't think Airbnb is deliberately holding back on new features and automation options for hosts. Why would they? Te decision should be made by the host, as we all have our remarkable little ways of sharing our homes with our prospective guests. Rather, I think it is on the roadmap, and they are planning to improve these features in near future (I hope). 

So, go to your Airbnb app, then go to settings and send feedback to the Airbnb team! If you don't speak, you won't be heard either. 😉

Damir0
Level 10

@Deb0 well that is odd? I am not using Testflight on iOS (beta profiles from app developers), so how can I have this feature? I don't know about Android, any users who've also discovered this option in the Airbnb smartphone app? iOS / Android?

Are you sure, you've tapped and then hold the message you'd like to save?

@Deb0 @Damir0 You might want to check out the free tool we created - TurnoverBnB. We sync with your rental calendars and automatically schedule your cleaners. Like I said, it's totally free to use. Here's a sample screen shot below of our tool.

TurnoverBnB.png

Tim

Kelly3
Level 10
Seoul, South Korea

@Damir0 This is a great thread. As I run many listings and plan to upgrade my listings end of this year, I really need to look into these automation systems.

Here are my answers.

When there is a message, I reply - I rarely use saved copy-paste, just write it out. Though there are some phrases I use often, I think copy-pasting takes less time than actually writing it as I exchange messages.When I have some free time here and there, I check on my guests, remind them about the review, say good bye, all that - but nothing really scheduled or automated. If there is a way to automatically send out general messages during the guests' stay, as well as reminder to leave a review few days after the check out, it would be great. It should be easy to 'un-schedule' that message to certain guests, as there are definitely some cases I communicate with them more, which would make a generic message sound weird. Also, all automatic message should be modified with their names in it, so it sounds more friendly.

For a booking confirmed, I make a task on Producteev that I share with my manager, so she can schedule the cleaning and such.Sharing Airbnb app would be easier, but that also has sensative information, so I just do this outside of Airbnb. If Zapier can somehow do this and automate this process, it would be awesome.

Then I send welcome message to the booked guest, at this point I just remind them to read the house manuals and direction, which people alway say they will/did, yet so many people miss this - I wonder how they miss this. I would also like some way to send out an email with my house manual (with pdf file attachment which currently Airbnb msg system doesn't support) and information automatically to confirmed booked guests.

For now, I only use Airbnb as my booking site, but I am open to another sites as well. Though if Airbnb makes the automation easier, I would definitely consider just keeping it only Airbnb. 

I somehow feel like Airbnb wants hosts to actually invest their time more on hosting so guests would feel more 'special' - and this is the reason why they are not promoting automation that much? 

Damir0
Level 10

Hi @Kelly3 @Deb0,

For the automated messaging there are several options you can think of and your personal preferences for communicating with guests. For example, you can communicate via the anonymized email address of the guests profile. It comes to email automation (Email Marketing / Marketing Automation in business use cases).

If you would like to schedule custom emails (from templates) with rich media options, interactive forms, have a look at MixMax, as mentioned. You can do most things with the Free tier plan. 

MixMax

A few of the many features:Schermafbeelding 2016-01-11 om 15.37.25.png

• Track emails accurately
  • Set up meetings in an instant
  • Save time with email templates
  • Schedule emails to get sent later

Personally, I think email messages are the best way to automate and enrich your communication with guests. Airbnb messages are bound to text only, no hyperlinks, no files like a welcome letter, no scheduling. My personal recommendation is to go for a tool like MixMax. 

I need to dive deep into the following software:

Replybnb - Response Templates for Airbnb Hosts

Vreasy - Vacation Rental Management Technology

I had a brief tryout in Vreasy about six months ago, but due to chaos in my head, I opted out to deep dive back at that time. My review will follow in a couple of days. 😉

Kelly3
Level 10
Seoul, South Korea

Oh I didn't mean that Airbnb was holding back the features - probably they chose over projects before the automotive system for hosts. Also it is not really following their branding anyway.

If MixMax can automatically send out welcome/information email to the confirmed guests, it would be great. Maybe I can set this up using Airbnb's reservation confirmed emails?

Thanks.
Damir0
Level 10

@Kelly3 I will reply more thoroughly on your approach later this week. Go ahead, try one of the mentioned services, they all have free trials and free plans. 

@Kelly3 setup a dropbox (or similar cloud-based folder), upload all the important docs and info you want your guests to have, and email/text the web based link to your guests. At this point, this process can't be automated... but dropbox certainly saves time.

Good luck!

Damir0
Level 10

Hi @Kevin6@Kelly3@Deb0@Lizzie,

image.png

To automate the Process, there needs to be a clear trigger, so MixMax alone, won't do the job. That is why Zapier is such a great tool, it's so good, that if you don't like the extra features that MixMax offers to Gmail users, then skip MixMax completely.

Zapier provides preconfigured "zaps", triggers followed by actions/events, and the possibility to create custom "zaps", integrating over 500 different apps / tools. They offer great tutorials as well. Below I'll give an example without using MixMax. To make it more versatile, you can even make several different zaps for a certain step in your process. 

Example: based on new booking confirmation emails you receive from Airbnb in your Gmail account (you can actually use your own email servers if you like) we need to provide a search string, easy, because all booking confirmations have one sender and use the same words and style. The trigger would be a new email matching your predefined search string. The automated action would be to send an email (from a template, or more) to the Guest (by reply). You can call this a Zapp. You can use as many different zaps, thus different tasks at the same trigger, you can choose different actions to be taken simultaneously or scheduled.

Zapier has great how-to, manuals, tips for software and tools. Here is one for managing your inbox: https://zapier.com/blog/best-email-app/

I just love Zapier, every time I see new opportunities to automate repetitive tasks from my life, in general. Awesome! 

Kelly3
Level 10
Seoul, South Korea

@Damir0

Thanks for the advise and tool recommendation to do that 'trigger'. It is what I wanted to build into my automation system^^