Software, apps and other helpful tools software, apps and hosting tools

Answered!
Damir0
Level 10
Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Software, apps and other helpful tools software, apps and hosting tools

Hi there!

Forgive me if there is a great and comprehensive thread on software, apps, tools and useful image.pnghosting automation tips and tricks. Otherwise, feel welcome to share your own approach towards hosting automation with use of all sorts of software, apps, services and more.

List your own way of automating some parts of your Airbnb hosting, to streamline repetitive or time consuming activities. 

Think of the following to get started:

1. What is your standard process? (from booking request or instant booking to the very last contact of review, saying thanks and more)
  2. Which parts of this communication process do you automate to a certain degree, and how?
  3. What are benefits of the tools, software, apps you use and what is the downside?
  4. Where are you taking your Airbnb hosting automation in near future?
  5. List your own helpful app, software or tool, or a few and share how it helps you being a better host in general?

Here are a few favorites I use myself:

Typeform - A great webbased platform to create forms of all kinds.

Zapier - A highly versatile webbased platform to connect your apps and automate tasks.

Mixmax - Easy to use productivity suite for Gmail accounts like scheduling, mail tracking.

I will go into depth in my next post on these tools. Meanwhile feel free to share your own ideas, suggestions or ask anything.

Wherever you go, there you are.
1 Best Answer
Kelly3
Level 10
Seoul, South Korea

@Damir0 This is a great thread. As I run many listings and plan to upgrade my listings end of this year, I really need to look into these automation systems.

Here are my answers.

When there is a message, I reply - I rarely use saved copy-paste, just write it out. Though there are some phrases I use often, I think copy-pasting takes less time than actually writing it as I exchange messages.When I have some free time here and there, I check on my guests, remind them about the review, say good bye, all that - but nothing really scheduled or automated. If there is a way to automatically send out general messages during the guests' stay, as well as reminder to leave a review few days after the check out, it would be great. It should be easy to 'un-schedule' that message to certain guests, as there are definitely some cases I communicate with them more, which would make a generic message sound weird. Also, all automatic message should be modified with their names in it, so it sounds more friendly.

For a booking confirmed, I make a task on Producteev that I share with my manager, so she can schedule the cleaning and such.Sharing Airbnb app would be easier, but that also has sensative information, so I just do this outside of Airbnb. If Zapier can somehow do this and automate this process, it would be awesome.

Then I send welcome message to the booked guest, at this point I just remind them to read the house manuals and direction, which people alway say they will/did, yet so many people miss this - I wonder how they miss this. I would also like some way to send out an email with my house manual (with pdf file attachment which currently Airbnb msg system doesn't support) and information automatically to confirmed booked guests.

For now, I only use Airbnb as my booking site, but I am open to another sites as well. Though if Airbnb makes the automation easier, I would definitely consider just keeping it only Airbnb. 

I somehow feel like Airbnb wants hosts to actually invest their time more on hosting so guests would feel more 'special' - and this is the reason why they are not promoting automation that much? 

View Best Answer in original post

37 Replies 37
Damir0
Level 10

Hi @Kelly3,

There are so many ways to get your custom solution. I recommend to use as much software you already familiar with and avoid unnecessary costs for subscriptions if you can. If you want to step it up, you can go into marketing automation with Campaign Monitor.

Schermafbeelding 2016-01-14 om 11.57.39.png

It's email marketing / marketing automation software like MailChimp, but better. (Airbnb actually used CampaignMonitor for their newsletters and transactional email. This is what you'd want to set up for yourself:

Schermafbeelding 2016-01-14 om 11.50.54.png

From here, you can go even deeper in CampaignMonitor, where you can create hyperlinks, buttons, call to action areas, and automate further. For example, if a guest has NOT read email, then +2 days later, send a reminder email. If a guest has read email + click link A, then send a new smart transactional email with other content. I hope you understand what I'm trying to explain ;-). Let me know if you've managed. 

Here is the Email Automation guide from CampaignMonitor: 

What Zaps are you going to use for every step in your process? 

Damir0
Level 10

Hi @Kelly3@Kevin6@Deb0

Another totally awesome and free tool: Coral.life

Coral is an interactive guidebook that helps your guests get the most out of your space and neighborhood.

Coral_interactive_guidebook.png

I am using this software myself, your hosts get a message/mail/link to your manual, best is that it looks amazing on mobile. Let's be real, mobile is the way to go! And it's completely free, so just try it out, I'm satisfied ;-).

I've been playing with the idea to create video tutorials of my apartment, shot in first person view. A collection of mini videos where guests can pick a video they need, see and hear instructions. All videos hosted online of course, on a password protected website (Vimeo as alternative to your own video website). I'll just do it, and share the results here. It would be awesome if you could give me some feedback instead ;-).

Kelly3
Level 10
Seoul, South Korea

@Damir0

Thanks again for sharing your experiences!

One of my main concerns is to creat a house manual that is not language dependent.

I have zero problem with guests who read my listing descriptions, direction and house manuals before and after they booked my place. 

Though with people (mostly non-English speaking country people) who don't read, and that cause more headache on my end.

Sometimes I wonder... will this ever help getting more people to read my manuals...but I should keep trying, right?...sigh.... 

Damir0
Level 10

Hi @Kelly3@Kevin6@Deb0,

I can totally understand the worry and maybe even frustration. I've had guests who could only understand Russian! So the few interactions we had while checking them in, we used the Live feature from Google Translate app. It helps, although it left me with worries, still.

I think this is part of being a host. They can see which languages you communicate, and they need to agree to the house rules before booking, so this is kind of a legal lock-in, which takes away a bit of the worry.

Update on Zapier:

Zapier is actually researching how to integrate Airbnb with others apps directly! Please follow link and vote for it, share the link so other Airbnb hosts can vote as well. 😉

https://zapier.com/zapbook/airbnb/

Airbnb_Zapier_Integration.png

So, anyone else following this thread has tried one or more of the suggestions?

Damir0
Level 10

Hi!

In case you missed this topic about the best floorplan software, click here.

Several options have been mentioned. I think it's interesting to provide a floorplan of your listing to your prospective guests, giving them a sense of overview, where is which room etc. 

You can also mark emergency exits and more. I use Autodesk Homestyler Floor Plan.

Schermafbeelding 2016-01-17 om 19.47.16.png

Is anyone already using a floorplan?

Damir0
Level 10

"Introducing Multi-Step Zaps: The Easiest Way to Build Powerful Workflows"

4eeef6fa7f444d92064db507ffc4d3be.1800x1000.png

Hi @Kelly3@Kevin6@Deb0@Lizzie

Zapier introduced multi-step Zaps about a week ago, providing the foundation for actual app independent workflow automation. Now, you don't need five zaps for a process you would like to automate.

For example, when a guest books with an instant book, you actually can create a workflow using an unlimited number of different apps, combine them, extract data from steps and reuse it another step. In short: it opens the door for harmonized workflow automation, and it's easy to set up. Check it out here.

b92398953f892b742d92085574e72c0d.gif

They redesigned the editor to make it easier creating workflows. I'm so enthusiastic about this company; they're doing great things here. I use the multi-step workflows already, and I recommend you check it out. (however, you'll need a paid plan for multi-step Zaps, about USD 20 / EUR 20 per month. But if you think for a second how much time it will save you, I can confirm this, you won't be bothered by this amount.

For a free 14 day trial, go here.

https://zapier.com/multi-step-zaps/

We are going to be adding a video embed feature soon! Thanks for sharing Coral, I am so glad to hear you are having a great experience. Please let me know if there is anything we can do to improve!

Damir0
Level 10

@Kevin6 That is awesome, I do this as well. I provide the cloud link to the documents in a automated email to guests for new bookings. Dropbox is ok, however they offer limited space (2GB) for free. OneDrive from Microsoft offers 20GB for free. Not that you need that much space. But why use multiple cloud spaces, gets messy ;-). 

Personally, I use Adobe Document Cloud (part of my Acrobat Pro subscription, Creative Cloud as well). Here you can also track whether or not, the guests have downalded the files, or agreed to your house rules. I ask all of my prospective guests, to read the house rules again, in a file which I can track, and request their agreement and digital signature / e-signature. It's merely a safety net I like to have, in case that legal action beyond Airbnb resolution requests, is advised by my lawyer. 😉

Luis-and-Tati0
Level 10
New York, NY

We use BookerVille Vacation Rental Software to manage and sync our calendars, automated emails and get some amazing reports...

If you have more than 2-3 houses or you list your house in more than 1 service, this is really worth to try... 

Luis

Damir0
Level 10

Hi @Luis-and-Tati0

I checked the website! Honestly, it doesn't look like a tool I would like to use. Seems outdated and I would worry about security and privacy issues. Furthermore, I get the idea that you are biased, whilst the true URL Contains referral code. (Affiliates)

Not mentioning this, the altered URL for your referral code, actually supports my idea that your post is somewhat misleading and intentional. This thread is not meant to be used for personal or commercial wins. Rather hosts helping hosts.

@Luis-and-Tati0 What do you think about this?

Damir0
Level 10

Hi @Luis-and-Tati0

There are numerous companies who offer more advanced and reliable software. For example:

Vreasy or use the link: https://www.vreasy.com 

Check the links, no referral or other codes! :-)))

image.jpeg

@Damir0

I think you should provide an option that everyone could use (with or without referral code)...
At VReasy you are subject to their approval and their data collection on your Airbnb account (you are the product not the client)... Have you tried to open an account with them?...

@Damir0

After 3 hours they replied to my request to sign up with this presentation and to schedule a Skype meeting to talk about it... 

http://j.mp/VreasyOverview

beging Copy and paste...

"Vreasy can be a supplement to an existing PMS - providing advanced guest, staff & services management features, or it can be used as a stand alone PMS for those looking for an all-in-one system."

end c/p

PMS = Property managemnt system = Bookerville

EU$3 per guest arrival but you also can get revnue to the services ofered to YOUR guests... What?! yes.. they ofer services to YOUR guest...

No, I don't know in what basis and if the hosts has anything to do with them ofering the extra services... 

Like I said... You are the product, not the client....

Luis

Damir0
Level 10

Hi @Luis-and-Tati0

Lets continue this discussion as adults, alright? You can't fool me with your tricks. You totally avoided answering my questions, my conclusion and then you go ahead and bump your head cracking down Vreasy. I don't use this type of service, but I know a few hosts who have had a good experience.

This all doesn't matter, becaus I'm not affiliated to Vreasy or any software mentioned here. I don't sell my soul, surely not for software which is just hilariously bad, BookerVille, is filled with all kinds of trackers, malware type analytics and more.

My point was that you were and are trying to hide your intentions: making money on other hosts good trust in your honest and independent opinion. You masked the hyperlink, by showing a clean hyperlink of BookerVille, so nobody would see the referral code. When you inspect the hyperlink, it's clear as daylight that your one and only intention is to mislead and cash in. 

Avoiding to be honest, and then writing suggestive findings on a random link I provided, is really unexpected and I would like to end our discussion here. You're just a crook, nothing more. You confirm every prejudice on this matter.

For the sake of annoying you, here is another tool, Lodgify,  a PMS tool which hosts could use, no affiliation or altered and hidden code in hyperlink. Check it if you feel the need. Fare well.

http://www.lodgify.com

image.jpeg