Something smells fishy about this job opportunity... tell me what you think, please.

Joe151
Level 5
Lancaster, PA

Something smells fishy about this job opportunity... tell me what you think, please.

Hi, I came across and advertisement on Craigslist today that seemed a bit scammy. I'm wondering what other people think. Here's the listing...

>> AD TITLE: **Airbnb listing Job**

>> We have a great job to earn some money.
>> You must have already an Airbnb account to list some property`s.

>> The salary will be 20% for each booking.
>> Contact with your CV/resume including your e m a i l for more information.
>> We expect to work with serious people.

5 Replies 5
Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

I guess you could always inquire and see what they're doing, but this sounds super scammy to me.

If it mentioned anything about the work you're expected to do (run the communication with guests, manage turnover/cleaning), but I imagine it's more like "post this fake-ass listing under your profile so you're the one running the risk of being banned". You hand over 80% of the booked revenue, the guest finds themselves without decent lodging, guest receives a refund out of your own personal booking funds while scammer rides off into the sunset.

Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

I agree with @Allison2 on this one.

Indeed! in fact, @Allison2 is so spot-on that i now feel like a chump for actually asking the question!

@Kate157

Hi guys,

I also bumped into this job ad and have exchanged a couple of emails with the owner in question. It went exactly as @Allison2 described and what was really fishy to me was how he completely ignored my suggestion of having a video call in order to better discuss the details and went on asking me to show him my Airbnb profile to see if "I was a fit candidate".

It felt wrong to me and now that I've read your opinions it feels even more. Yes @Joe151... unfortunately, I too believe it's a scam

Christian65
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Excuse my ignorance regarding Craigslist but isn't this platform primarily used for ordering home-massage from meth addicts or for shopping illegal weapons?

Anyhoooo, I agree... It sounds particularly fishy!