South Korea - Strict Policy deemed not valid still charged 5% for it !

South Korea - Strict Policy deemed not valid still charged 5% for it !

Hi,

I have a booking from South Korea. I am told that my Strict Policy is not valid and will not be enforced BUT I am being charged 5% for a strict policy.  Anyone else?

10 Replies 10
Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

I had a guest send me a request from South Korea and although I wanted it the rules weren't in my favor. Telling me that my cancellation policy isn't valid and the guest can cancel at any time and receive a 50 percent refund doesnt work for me. I declined them and told them that the rules of their country were the reason I declined them.

Where do you see this information?  All I get are inquiries but no instant bookings from Korea.

do South Koreans have a sort of 'diplomatic immunity"? Is it true that they can cancel reservations even after checkin and get their money back? And they don't have to offer government ID verification and do not instant book? Isn't that dangerous to hosts? Is that why no one from Korea has instant booked with me and claims they are unable to do so? I have no problem with a korean guest (Phil's girlfriend was Korean and I told him she was welcome) but the lack of accountability is weird. How would South Korea like it if America decided their visitors to Korea did not have to obey the law in Korea? 

Jennifer (and my brother Gordon)   weird the message board wouldn't let me @ you

My guests had ID and I did not hear about getting a refund after cancelation that you mention. But they didn't cancel so I have no idea if that is fact.   I accepted them and they abided by every rule and verification, it is Airbnb that put the note about the rates and refund peculiar to S.Korean guests, it appeared when they made a reservation. I am happy I did accept them because  they were absolutely charming, perfect guests in every way, there was even a bonus -  he had an exhibition here in a well-known gallery so I was introduced to his beautiful abstract paintings.

Did you have to approve them?  Because I never get bookings just inquiries from Korea. 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Ange2 so you're on the 3% for flexible, 4% for moderate, 5% for strict?? How long has that been the case? Have you noticed any benefit from paying more for the cancel policy?

I had always thought that if that policy rolled out to my area I would switch to moderate or flexible bc I don't believe that ABB CS will usually uphold my policy anyway so I don't want to pay more for it.

Hi @Kelly149   Well, curiously it is now all back to 3% bar the South Korea anomaly - btw: the guests were very charming, he is an amazing artist he had an exhibition here, beautiful paintings.   I still have strict policy and it is still 3%,  but strict payout has changed and it's ony 50% now regardless of when they cancel, if before they arrive. I tried moderate and had too many window shoppers blocking dates then canceling. I am fine with strict, it doesn't seem to deter people (or maybe it does deter the very people I do not want so I am fine with that) but then again maybe they just don't realize unless they try to cancel.  I do give guests a full refund if I can book the dates or if well in advance.

p.s. Maybe the whole thing was one of their 'experiments' that didn't work out.

@Ange2 yeah, there had been talk of whole countries being converted to the 3/4/5, it's something I've been trying to keep an eye out on for when they'll spring it on all of us

Glad to hear that the experiment was ended for you

@Ange2

Please check this link for details

https://www.airbnb.com/home/updated_cancellation_policies?korean_strict_policy=true#strict

As a Korean, even I would not accept this cancellation policy as a host (mine is strict) and this is just one of the many reasons why I decided that I would not host locals.

There was even news coverage about a whole bunch of people complaining they did not get refunds for a hotel booking which was more than a month away - and the reason no refund was provided was because the person selected the cheapest NON-REFUNDABLE booking option. 

There is a saying in Korea that literally translates to "The child who cries gets an extra cookie." (original meaning is if you need/want something you have to speak up and let yourself be heard, but nowadays I think it's more along the lines of threatening to make huge fuss to pressure others and get what you want)  

@Jessica-and-Henry0   The S.Korean Strict terms look exactly like what Airbnb Strict has recently become except for the more than 30 days fully refundable part for S.Korea, but I generally fully refund with more than 30 days notice anyway.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I somehow missed this completely. I have hosted several guests from South Korea, but I guess not since I have switched to the Strict cancellation policy. I only became aware of the different policy for South Korean guests today when I went to accept a reservation request from a guest living in Germany. Seems the policy still applies regardless of where the guest is residing.

Anyway, I had to tell her sorry, but I couldn't accept the reservation for that reason. It's during peak season (August) and I cannot see why I should have to give a 50% refund to a guest that cancels right before or even during their stay! This policy would mean I would be less protected from last minute cancellations than if I had a Moderate one on the listing. No way.

This is a shame though as, like I said, I've hosted many guests from South Korea in the past and would be happy to continue doing so otherwise.