Spaniards hosts/Anfitirones españoles

Luiz0
Level 2
Gran Canaria. Canary Island.

Spaniards hosts/Anfitirones españoles

Hi for you all.

Xmas is here and spaniards have already got their gift!

First of all I want to specify that I have decided to write this topic in English due to the relevance of this matter, and also because it could be affecting overseas hosts.

For a long time here in Spain we (Hosts and AirBnb) are being targeted as taxes evasior, that we are promoting an invasive business,... we've been listening that some people were fined, some got tax problems, etc. This is not so simple to debate, there is several laws to follow and we all know.

Today on a spanish newspaper I read this http://ccaa.elpais.com/ccaa/2015/12/21/catalunya/1450694300_272687.html

This sounds like the begining of more problems to many of us, and a BIG concerning to deal with.

What we can do? What Airbnb can do? Many europeans capitals changed their laws just to adjust with the new way of travelling. Right now in Spain seems nothing has changed about it.

Sincerely
Luiz

5 Replies 5
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

Hi @Luiz0 , this sounds really awful.  Does  El Pais have  an English version?  The google transalation is awful and incomprehensible.  I would very much like to read  and understand this article.  Barcelona hosts not only have this to deal with, but some have had their accounts terminated by Airbnb with no explanation.  Thanks, Clare

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

@Luiz0, as  Clare said, the google translation is not very sure. If I understand it correctly, they use a program for datamining the websites to filter out the listings with no licence number. - Funny, I thought data mining was excluded by the terms, or terms do not to apply to governments. I would have hoped for software protection to exclude that, as that would mean that everyone can hunt for data on the platforms via a program, not doing the hard work.

And then they do inspections? So determined that they keep up visiting till they find a tourist at home, even if it takes 5,3 visits in average? With an additional way for neighbors to complain and tell on each other?

That's awful, if governments want to keep up the rules even if the population has moved on to new ways of life. And considering the Spanish economy, it's understandable that airbnb is a good and much needed opportunity to improve the level of income.

@Helga0 @Luiz0 Yes the translation is very poor.  A sign on the door? What's next?  The whole thing sounds very oppressive to me.  Why not encourage entrepeneurs? I hope Airbnb is fighting this tooth and nail, as we say in the US. 

Here a quick translation in english: https://hostandpro.wordpress.com/2015/12/22/airbnb-fined-for-offering-lodgings-without-permits-in-ba...

Note: These measures are not a surprise for having been anounced by new Barcelona's Mayor Ada Colau in her program. Here another article about Airbnb in Barcelona (english version): http://www.thelocal.es/20151222/barcelona-city-hall-fines-airbnb

Luiz0
Level 2
Gran Canaria. Canary Island.

Hi again.

Thanks Oliver for adding the link to english version.

Basically this is what we have right now in Spain, and really I don't understand why AirBnB doesn't notify us directly about their position or what can be done. 

Sincerely

Luiz